Author Topic: Watch the ISS from earth  (Read 3136 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 20, 2010, 10:23:42 pm
The ISS and the space shuttle (when on mission) can be seen from earth. I am posting alink from NASA as a guide on how to view. Click on your state, then city..and take pics.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:17:18 am by 1 Thump »

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:44:41 pm
Yeah, Ive seen both the space station and the shuttle. It is very cool as it silently streaks across the sky. It looks like it is no higher than a jetliner but no blinking lights. Around here it appears to be traveling WNW to ESE.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:33:16 pm
Pics or it didn't happen  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:03:07 am
I got no pics but here's my wife to verify the story.
   Did it happen Dear?(Me)
   Yes.(her)
Undeniable proof

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:30:47 am
I'm backing Redcat all the way on that. ERC   ;D
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:42 am
I got no pics but here's my wife to verify the story.
   Did it happen Dear?(Me)
   Yes.(her)
Undeniable proof

Wow thats pretty convincing evidence. I thought I saw it once then it landed at the airport so I thought naaa I don't think thats it.

I have seen bright stuff move across the sky east to west a lot -I thought they were just American sputniks.

This is with my naked eyes -do you use binoculars

Sorry west to East I meant.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:49:22 am by clamp »
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:47:48 pm
I've talked to them on several occasions.  They keep a 2 meter ham rig on the station and when the astronauts/cosmonauts are during "down time" they make radio contacts with plain old hams as they pass over.  A typical pass lasts from 10 to 15 minutes from horizon to horizon and they make dozens of contacts during a pass.  I last made contact last Sunday.  The guy on the station was very animated.  When he replied, he did so by saying "welcome aboard the international space station" and sounded like he was having a bunch of fun.
See:
http://www.arrl.org/amateur-radio-on-the-international-space-station
Tim
KC9JCH

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 04:26:05 pm
I got a friend who sees satellites all the time when he's sitting in his hot tub with his wife drinking red wine. I think you can believe him but he does ride a Honda.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 04:39:51 pm
I've talked to them on several occasions.  They keep a 2 meter ham rig on the station and when the astronauts/cosmonauts are during "down time" they make radio contacts with plain old hams as they pass over.  A typical pass lasts from 10 to 15 minutes from horizon to horizon and they make dozens of contacts during a pass.  I last made contact last Sunday.  The guy on the station was very animated.  When he replied, he did so by saying "welcome aboard the international space station" and sounded like he was having a bunch of fun.
See:
Tim
KC9JCH

Neat O !

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 03:18:12 am
See:
Tim
KC9JCH

Ha ha  thats me    schhhhhh " good morning this is the space station"  schhhhh

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 03:48:36 pm
In fact, it looks like there is going to be a good high angle pass over me just before 2:00 this afternoon.  I may give it a shot from my car.
see:
http://www.issfanclub.com
Top right of page is a little map, under it click "predict passes" and put in your zip code to see when it passes over you.  The pass prediction software also tells when it is visible, but the best times to actually see it are when it is sunlit and you are not, pick a high angle pass just after dusk.  A good pair of binoculars makes it really visible.
TFM

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 02:13:42 am
In fact, it looks like there is going to be a good high angle pass over me just before 2:00 this afternoon.  I may give it a shot from my car.

Your going to shoot it?  its too high.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:47:32 am
Thanks for the link Br. 1 Thump  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.