Author Topic: A new UPS Zero-emission delivery vehicle  (Read 1118 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 15, 2022, 09:42:00 pm
UPS has introduced a new delivery vehicle for city usage. It has Zero-emissions and will keep its driver fit. However, it is my guess that it won't provide much in the way of crash protection from municipal buses or soccer mom drop-offs.  See the attached article that was in my newspaper today.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 11:10:19 pm
No more dangerous for posties than a Monkey Bike.

This is what Australia Post are using these days:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/14/australia-post-to-phase-out-iconic-red-motorcycles-by-2025

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 11:42:41 pm
Well, that is something a little different. I can't see our Postal Service mailmen/women being caught riding one of those things.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 12:29:18 am
Summer use for mail delivery in Phoenix or L.A. seems unlikely... ???
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 09:08:10 am
Who wouldn't enjoy his fitness being managed by a stinky company.  ;D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 09:58:09 am
No more dangerous for posties than a Monkey Bike.

This is what Australia Post are using these days:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/14/australia-post-to-phase-out-iconic-red-motorcycles-by-2025

It's a glorified electric wheelchair that's speed limited to 40kph, but the poor posties are made to take them on Tapleys Hill Road (an 80kph road by the airport here) and South Road (the main drag through the metropolitan area, choked with trucks and meth head tradies in giant utes). A buddy has quit his job as a postie because of those things.

The guy in the picture, he must only be smiling because he's the salesman delivering one.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 11:45:44 am
UPS has introduced a new delivery vehicle for city usage. It has Zero-emissions and will keep its driver fit. However, it is my guess that it won't provide much in the way of crash protection from municipal buses or soccer mom drop-offs.  See the attached article that was in my newspaper today.

How can I say I just don't give a shit without sounding facetious & uncaring?

Oh, I can't?

Oh, well.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 12:59:54 pm
Who wouldn't enjoy his fitness being managed by a stinky company.  ;D

I couldn't work for any company that would make me dress like that. Starvation would be a better alternative.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 09:21:22 pm
This is old news.

Pedal / electric hybrids were introduced half a decade ago in Germany and the Netherlands.
https://greenerideal.com/news/dhl-swaps-co2-emitting-vans-electric-cargo-delivery-bikes/

That part of the world is where the cutting edge LEVs (light electric vehicles) are being developed in my opinions.  The USA is still thinking in terms of Fat Tire recreational bicycles.

Fat fuel prices may spark some interest in alternative to SUVs, even by soccer moms.

And, municipal buses may be heading the way of this, electric SELF-driving vehicle I saw on the road in Rochester MN last month.  These are slated to go live, carrying passengers in just a few months:   https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/meet-the-dinky-driverless-shuttles-now-shuffling-people-around-rochester