Author Topic: Brake advice  (Read 4450 times)

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 10:47:15 pm
I found the rear brake lacks feel, but did work satisfactorily with a lot of pressure - too much pressure. So I replaced the lever with a TEC replacement, which is longer than standard. This worked, the extra leverage gives that missing feel.

TEC part below, and I'm sure there will be others out there too. Didn't feel the need to change pads, but when the time comes it'll be EBC.

https://www.tecbikeparts.com/product/interceptor-brake-lever/

Yep, I already have the FXCNC long adjustable levers. Love them.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 10:52:00 pm
I have always had a problem with rear lockup in emergency situations. There is such a high degree of weight shift to the front wheel, and lightening of the rear, that the slightest pressure on the rear usually results in a rear slide, no bueno. Throw in sand, fluid, rain, or any adverse road conditions(pretty common here) and you gonna slide.

Yea, I know, practice rear restraint, but at the moment of truth, most of us will stomp the rear and slide, and underbrake the front. For me,(riding for 45 years, albeit not an expert racer, and lazy when it comes to parking lot reinforcing practice)  strong front and less rear braking power is safer.  I may get roasted on that.

Jess, you should be able to lock up the rear, or with this bike, engage the ABS with pressure on the rear. You may need to bleed the rear, which on mine did not firm up the pedal until I went out and engaged the rear ABS a few times

Also, pardon me, but that photo of you is so distractingly good, I'm having a hard time focusing on the forum posts! I'm sure this is one area where there is general agreement. You go girl!

Thank you, very flattering. That photo is from three years ago, I’m an old hag now, but I ride a beautiful bike!

Ruddigger

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 11:29:04 pm
Yep, I already have the FXCNC long adjustable levers. Love them.

I think he’s talking about the rear brake lever, not the front brake hand lever.

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_CNC_Alloy_Adjustable_Lever_Set_for_RE650_p/re-blvr.htm
2022 650GT Mr Clean

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 05:54:10 am
Interesting how everyone’s experience differs.  I locked the rear on purpose on my first ride to see what the ABS felt like.  It seemed just like a slightly milder version of what it feels like to lock a rear wheel.  In general you don’t want too much braking at the rear as weight transfer to the front in hard braking means it only does about 5-10% of the work anyway. In the era of ABS especially for less experienced riders you probably do want as aggressive a pad as possible as anything that encourages more rapid deceleration is desirable for when you really need to stop.

I agree with the OP that the front actually has plenty of power you just need a big squeeze. Recently I rode my RE and then my Ducati over the same roads 2 days apart. There is a bumpy downhill braking area into a right hander. Just before the turn in point the road has a slight hump in it.

On the RE I think the front bottomed out as it hit the hump while I was already braking and I felt the chatter through the front lever as the ABS momentarily activated. That is the only time that the front ABS has activated apart from me doing it on purpose.

Finally never get used to just using the rear brake, that is a very poor habit to develop. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing unnecessary crashes from riders who just fail to adequately brake before they run off the road when they misjudge the speed of a turn (that usually an accomplished rider would actually still make).
I disagree. There’s a lot to be said for creative use of your rear brake. Don’t depend on it, that’s different .
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 07:50:38 am
I disagree. There’s a lot to be said for creative use of your rear brake. Don’t depend on it, that’s different .

Just to be clear you Disagree with “never get used to just using the rear brake, that is a very poor habit to develop”?
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 08:53:44 am
Just to be clear you Disagree with “never get used to just using the rear brake, that is a very poor habit to develop”?
Sorry, I didn’t read it as that. My mistake. I often use only the rear brake in commuting traffic, UNLESS the front is needed. I never rely on it as my main anchor. I always use both in tandem when needed, rarely use only the front as described many times here by others.
Sorry’bout that. You are indeed right.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 01:38:06 pm
I think he’s talking about the rear brake lever, not the front brake hand lever.

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_CNC_Alloy_Adjustable_Lever_Set_for_RE650_p/re-blvr.htm
  I actually had those ordered until I emailed TEC and was told they would not work on the GT.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 06:28:25 pm
Sorry, I misread that. Of course you’d be wrong to avoid using your front, that’s the main anchor. I use my rear extensively, but in tandem with the front. It’s not unusual for me to barely touch the front in commuting traffic, but I’ve generally got 2 fingers on that lever in anticipation of needing it. Apologies 👍

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 07:08:34 pm
Whoops double post! Didn’t think I pushed the right buttons last night!😳

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 07:21:45 pm
Whoops double post! Didn’t think I pushed the right buttons last night!😳
It happens, I wish there were a few more options on posting, I love this forum but just because its aimed at retro motorcycles, it doesn’t need retro posting controls!

grahamfirestorm

• grahamfirestorm
  • Scooter
  • ridden for 53yrs raced in the 70s and 80s
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 07:42:42 pm
Hi Jess,i found my rear brake getting quite numb,so all ive done is adjust the lever so i dont have as long a travel untill the brake comes on,and its worked a treat,a much better brake now,hope this helps.
boss the bike not the other way round.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 07:44:26 pm
Hi Jess,i found my rear brake getting quite numb,so all ive done is adjust the lever so i dont have as long a travel untill the brake comes on,and its worked a treat,a much better brake now,hope this helps.
That sounds like something to give a try, thanks for the tip.

GordonH

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2021, 11:27:24 am
Physics, and 40 odd years on motorcycles and bicycles (inc a stint as an instructor), bear out the fact that braking is circa 80% front and 20% rear. Front brake is your friend if you want to optimise braking performance.

Over use/over reliance of the rear brake seems to be a peculiarly US based phenomenon. No idea why.

As an aside, I don’t think the twins are under braked, given performance envelope.  They just need a little more pressure to get the most from their stopping power.

gregrb41

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 11:37:35 am
'As an aside, I don’t think the twins are under braked, given performance envelope.  They just need a little more pressure to get the most from their stopping power.'

Yup, agree with that.

Regarding rear brake use I find it useful when adjusting speed to enter corners - just trail it. That's road riding of course. The last thing I want when setting up for said corners is dive at the front. Using the rear is a stabilising force.
And leading to the Interceptor................
AS1 - RD250 - RD400 - CB750 - Bandit 1200 - Thunderbird Sport - Thunderbird w/sidecar - Thunderace - VF1000 - Thunderace - Tiger 955i - V-Strom 650 -Breva 750 - Bullet Electra - C90 - TL1000S - and here we are and loving the Interceptor :-)

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 01:14:38 pm

Agreed.  Mine was set so low that I didn't have enough range of motion in my ankle to put much pressure through it.  Raised it up and now it's fine.  Shift lever also needed adjustment when I bought new boots.  It's really worthwhile to spend some time adjusting the controls so they fit you and your gear.