Author Topic: Royal Enfield warranty costs  (Read 1453 times)

Paul-g

• Scooter
on: November 29, 2021, 05:59:16 pm
I have recently had an interesting conversation with a Royal Enfield dealer whose name I will not divulge.
The conversation arose because they were unhelpful with a friend who did not buy from them but needed advice and possibly warranty work.
It appears that Royal Enfield only pay dealers around £24 per hours to carry out warranty work.
I don’t know any motorcycle servicing business who could survive on £24 per hour on servicing.
Does anyone else know if this I’d true or not?

glencoeman

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 07:25:59 am
I don't know about the actual hourly rate for warranty work but, I suppose, it's in the small print of the dealer contract with RE  so it's no use the dealers moaning about it.

Paul-g

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:14:38 pm
The main issue that owners or potential owners might think about is that if you try and get warranty work done by a dealer other than the one you bought the machine from you may not get the warranty work done for free.
This doesn’t apply to cars as far as I know as you can normally get warranty work done for free by any main dealer.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 05:03:30 pm
I have recently had an interesting conversation with a Royal Enfield dealer whose name I will not divulge.
The conversation arose because they were unhelpful with a friend who did not buy from them but needed advice and possibly warranty work.

I'd say that this is a dealer that may be out of business in due course with that attitude! Of course, there are always two sides to a story and we don't know about the attitude of the "friend" towards the dealer in question. Some perspective on the actual problem would be helpful in making a realistic assessment of the treatment received from the dealer.

If the dealer is truly unhelpful for no good reason, that reputation will soon get around.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 10:14:00 pm
It appears that Royal Enfield only pay dealers around £24 per hours to carry out warranty work.
I don’t know any motorcycle servicing business who could survive on £24 per hour on servicing.
Does anyone else know if this I’d true or not?

I don't know if this is helpful but in the USA the states or more correctly thier Deparment of Motor Vehicles sets the warrenty rates. In some states they don't get involved and allow the OEM to set the rates, which may or may not reflect the dealerships standard posted rates. In some states the OEM has to pay the shops going rate provided it's within "local standards." When I was a dealer in New Jersey (1970s) warranty claims were reimbursed at our posted rate, since a warranty job paid the same as normal repair I sought out warranty work no matter where the owner had bought the bike, especially during the winter months when things were slow. Many a time warranty work kept the wolf from the door.

Later in life I became a shop foreman for one of the countries largest electrical utilities, in charge of a shop that repaired everything from chainsaws to bucket trucks to heavy equipment and light pickups and cars. We normally performed our own warranty work and then submitted the repair orders to a third company who then sought reimbursment from the OEMs. They paid us based on what they'd pay a local dealer. Some of the companies, ALTEC for example, a manufacturer of aerial devices and line handling equipment was very reasonable, others like FORD and International (Navistar) paid peanuts.

For the record we did our own warranty because our shops ran 16 hour days so we could turn around something like in an in frame overhaul in a shift or two and get the vehicle back on the road in a lot less time than the dealers normally could. We also put multiple guys on the job if we had to, which most dealerships, even the large truck and equipment shops normally won't do.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:12:38 pm by zimmemr »

scooter85

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 08:38:01 pm
I'm just wondering if anyone has read the warranty info in the owners manual. It says required maintenance has to be done by a dealer. page 99 #3 and page 101 I. 

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 10:37:32 pm
I'm just wondering if anyone has read the warranty info in the owners manual. It says required maintenance has to be done by a dealer. page 99 #3 and page 101 I.

Depending on where you live - why don't members here put their location in their avatar? - you may be protected by laws that state that you can DIY on your bike, provided you keep receipts for oil, filters, parts, etc, that you buy to install. Without proof of that and with evidence that what you did was the cause of the problem, your warranty work may be denied.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 10:38:21 pm
I can confirm that any Enfield dealer is obliged to carry out any warranty work free of charge.If it's not the dealer you bought it from you may be messed around like I was and certainly don't expect a loan bike if it's in for long.
Freedom.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 07:23:28 pm
Well l found out about this the warranty is on the bike and not the owner, if the bike is still under warranty they are obliged to fix it, sounds like a dodgy dealer to me for sure. How much they pay an hour is irrelevant what is relevant is the warranty they legally have to adhere to.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 07:26:38 pm by Carl Fenn »

Frank_M

• Bulleteer
  • Nash County, NC USA/Ancestors-Somerset, England UK
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 10:31:52 pm
.....- why don't members here put their location in their avatar? - ......

I have wondered the same as it would be nice to see without having to click on the avatar, and as previously mentioned some don't even have it there.

In the event it is a lack of knowing how, just click on "Profile", and in the blank next to "Personal Text" you can type in your location. It really is nice to be able to see where others are from, so please consider this upgrade for your avatar!
Motorcycles are like a pair of shoes, you can always use one more!
2022 Meteor 350 Stellar Black