Author Topic: New owner of a Royal Enfield  (Read 808 times)

CustomFtw

• Scooter
on: February 02, 2022, 11:25:29 pm
hello there, im Marco from Portugal and im a newbie on Royal Enfields .....

just bought a bike in a lot,  dont have any papers for it but i think it would make a hell of a chopper....

how can i identify the year of this motorcycle?
what model is it?
someone told me it was a 500cc....is it?
what year....?

whats the best way of simplified wiring, just kick it and goooooo......headlight on the front , light on the back, and kick start...do i need a battery?

engine number is G2/72548, and has 0928 on the gearbox.

got to find out how to put photos here....

thanks in advance

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 03:07:15 am
Marco, hard to say what it is without more info.  I can say this however....  I am a serious fan of old school choppers and have a real nice one that was just featured in the November 2021 issue of Kult Rider Magazine in Germany.  I am in the US.  It is a 71 Triumph Bonneville.  I added a pic of it taken from the magazine.

Now...., that being said, Of course, you can do what you want but....  please don't chop the Enfield.  Bring it back to as close to original as you can.  These are beautiful bikes and, in my opinion, may not be the best platform for a chopper.  Just my opinion.  I am sure whatever you do will be fine.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 02:23:31 pm
Now...., that being said, Of course, you can do what you want but....  please don't chop the Enfield.  Bring it back to as close to original as you can.  These are beautiful bikes and, in my opinion, may not be the best platform for a chopper.  Just my opinion.  I am sure whatever you do will be fine.

+1 to that. It it's a genuine classic from the fifties, the poor old bike has survived THIS long, please don't chop it up now, it could probably use some love! I think you would enjoy it as a restored motorcycle, you can always turn a more modern bike into a chopper.

The G2 Bullet was originally a 350 Bullet from the early/mid 1950s.

A.

Photo: https://www.motorklassiek.nl
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

CustomFtw

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 09:36:25 pm
 :D :D
thanks.
calm down.....if something happens, is the engine coming out to a new frame, im not gonna chopp the original bike....

how can i post pictures here??

CustomFtw

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 09:41:29 pm

testing........ :D

this is my engine......

CustomFtw

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 09:42:45 pm
+1 to that. It it's a genuine classic from the fifties, the poor old bike has survived THIS long, please don't chop it up now, it could probably use some love! I think you would enjoy it as a restored motorcycle, you can always turn a more modern bike into a chopper.

The G2 Bullet was originally a 350 Bullet from the early/mid 1950s.

A.

Photo: https://www.motorklassiek.nl

should this bike be a 350cc or  500??

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 10:47:07 pm
Your photo posting is good.

Early Indian Bullets were stamped G2 on the crankcase. The factory in Indian didn't start making 500 Bullets until the late 1980s,(88/89-ish), BUT there was and I think still is a small industry in India converting old 350 Bullet engines to take 500 Bullet top ends, it's basically crankcase modification as well as a crank and top end swap. Yours looks like it now has a 500 top-end, regardless of whatever it might originally have been. Clues are the VM28 Mikarb carburettor and the shape of the cylinder and cylinder head fins. Why? Not enough 500 engines built for the export of ready-restored Bullets from India to the West.

I bet you a bottle of Vinha do Fava that you'll find an 84mm piston inside if you take that cylinder head off.  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...