Author Topic: Talk me out of it  (Read 2438 times)

Chasbo

• Scooter
on: May 09, 2021, 04:27:53 pm
I went to my local RE dealer and tried both the interceptor and the Himalayan. The interceptor was better in every  respect. Brakes, engine , aesthetics, handling.

I still find myself weirdly drawn to the Himalayan. Something about it's looks, its clunkiness, the weird compass.

I'm 6"3 so both aren't comfortable but I can adapt. They will both be just fun runabouts, maybe a long trip or two.

My last bike was a 2020 Triumph Scrambler. Way too fast and unmechanical for me. I like the old school feeling. I want something slow and fun, not a death machine. After crashing my sports bike at 100mph, I've lost my nerve.

Anyway give me your 2 cents on going with the Himalayan as in about to pull the trigger.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 04:45:10 pm
Hey, if the Himi scratches that itch, why not? Both are good bikes, but the Himalayan would certainly get you places where the 650 would not be so comfortable if you're a "bedroll & beans" kinda tourer.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:44:58 pm
I went to my local RE dealer and tried both the interceptor and the Himalayan. The interceptor was better in every  respect. Brakes, engine , aesthetics, handling.

I still find myself weirdly drawn to the Himalayan. Something about it's looks, its clunkiness, the weird compass.

I'm 6"3 so both aren't comfortable but I can adapt. They will both be just fun runabouts, maybe a long trip or two.

My last bike was a 2020 Triumph Scrambler. Way too fast and unmechanical for me. I like the old school feeling. I want something slow and fun, not a death machine. After crashing my sports bike at 100mph, I've lost my nerve.

Anyway give me your 2 cents on going with the Himalayan as in about to pull the trigger.

I own both, a 2018 Himalaya and a 2020 Interceptor. And prefer the Himalayan, though not by much. If you're a go fast guy look elsewhere, neither bike will suit you. But if you think you'd be happy on light, moderately powered bike that combines great handling, decent brakes and balanced power with reliability and good looks you've come to the right place.

From a technical perspective the Interceptor does have an advantage, especially if you're a pure road rider, and if that's the case you might be better off on one.

If you want to explore back roads, dirt roads and no roads, take a good look at the Himalayan, they're slow as death, but they handle well, are comfortable and reliable to a fault. They are also easy to maintain, don't need a whole of attention, and are easy to repair if something does break. Fuel mileage averages around 75 miles per gallon if that's a consideration. There are also a ton accessories available  and plenty of information about them, especially on this forum. I've owned over 50 new motorcycles in my day, and this is by far my very favorite.

If you prefer a roadster type motorcycle go for the Interceptor, all of the above applies, though I wouldn't recommend riding it down any single track. The Interceptors can be ridden deceptively quick so don't let the perceived lack of power put you off.

My concern is that at 6' 3" neither bike will fit you very well, but like they say, that's a you problem, not a me problem. At 5'10" 175lbs both my bikes are more than comfortable.

The attached photo was taken on top of Mount Washington NH, about halfway through a four day tour of Vermont and New Hampshire.

BTW, I was in the motorcycle industry for over 40 years, and have ridden or raced just about everything that's come down the pike, so I am speaking from some experience.

hatrack

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:01:16 pm
I got a tall seat from seat concepts that works great for taller riders and I got the handlebar relocators  from Hitchcock in england. they bring the bars up and back without new cables. the whole set up makes a big difference

Chasbo

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 02:45:06 am
You guys did a terrible job of talking me out of it

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 08:32:10 am

Well done Chas  :D

I picked mine up lunch time today but could only put 90 kilometres on it so far.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 09:19:08 am
Well done Chas  :D

I picked mine up lunch time today but could only put 90 kilometres on it so far.

Good stuff you two. Now go forth and wear them out  ;D
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 02:42:22 am

I'm 6"3 so both aren't comfortable but I can adapt.

How have you gone about the ergonomics Chas?
Did you go for a thicker seat?
Peddle kit?
Longer shocks?

Asking for a 6’3” buddy who’s interested in the Himalayan.

Thanks mate :)

Ps. How’s the running in going?
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:15:24 am
The world has not got enough motorbikes in it yet. I would never attempt to talk someone out of buying another one. Talk you out of getting married - yeah I can do that. Talk you out of having kids - yeah I can do that. Talk you out of self harming - I'll always do my best. But talk you out of buying a new bike - never. The Himalayan opens up new possibilities of routes and experiences you wouldn't get to do on almost any other bike and certainly not at this price point. Add one to your stable and enjoy the ride.
Sod it, lets ride!

Ronbob43

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 03:15:51 pm
Someone should have talked me out of the 2021 Himalayan I bought in February, At 78 I have lost a lot of balance and strength, but I was so happy with my 2019 INT650 and thought adding the Himmy would allow me to explore the Arizona desert. I did get a lot of exercise picking it up out of the sand and rocks, but not a lot of searching was done. Most of it's 2200 miles is one pavement, but the INT is more fun on that.
Ronbob43

travbee

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 02:51:28 pm
Someone should have talked me out of the 2021 Himalayan I bought in February, At 78 I have lost a lot of balance and strength, but I was so happy with my 2019 INT650 and thought adding the Himmy would allow me to explore the Arizona desert. I did get a lot of exercise picking it up out of the sand and rocks, but not a lot of searching was done. Most of it's 2200 miles is one pavement, but the INT is more fun on that.

I have both as well - but you have almost double my years.

I think sandy trail riding might be tough as you get older....

Clean it up and sell it off, use the money for 650 parts!

Ronbob43

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 05:43:08 pm

I think sandy trail riding might be tough as you get older....
So true. It was really hard for me when I had to let go of my XR400 and trail riding in the Washington woods 10 or so years ago, and I tried to kid myself that the desert wouldn't be too bad.
Ronbob43

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 02:49:48 am
If I happen across sand while on the Himi it’ll be by accident.
You have just over a decade on me but I’m past getting sand everywhere and having to clean it out. Same with mud. It’s okay if I stumble across it but I won’t be hunting for it.
Easy exploring of dirt roads is what I bought the Himi for. :)
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 12:05:43 pm

Don't normally like blue, but THAT's a nice blue!  :) :) Good luck with it.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 12:43:14 am

Hey Chasbo, nice bike and good choice and that is MY dealership! Where are you located? Have you met Angela, the parts woman? She has more personality than 10 people and is nice to look at too. Best of luck!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350