Author Topic: Workshop manuals now available online, including the 650 Twins  (Read 51078 times)

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Workshop manuals are now available online :) We have spent a lot of time and effort to source almost the entire range of workshop manuals produced for Royal Enfield motorcycles, right from 1945 up until the present day. We have copied all of these older styles to a digital format to go along side the newer models, and have listed these on our website as a free of charge download for all.

So, whilst paper copies are still available to purchase for the older models, we now have PDF versions of all workshop manuals (both Redditch and Indian built). These can be accessed via the “Information and Forum” section on the Hitchcocks website, or by using the direct link below and selecting the relevant bike model:
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Workshop-Manuals-To-Download

Hopefully, this readily available source of technical information will be a useful asset to owners, or perhaps just an interest point to see other models.

Dan
Hitchcocks Motorcycles
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:45:49 pm by Dantheman »

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 05:58:48 pm
The interactive parts book is now online for the 650 Interceptor: https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook/287/2019-650-interceptor

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Trouble is they are all on PDF and l have nothing to read them.

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
You can find a lot of PDF readers here : https://pdf.wondershare.fr/top-pdf-software/free-pdf-reader.html (sorry the site is in French, télécharger means download)
The first one seems quite cool.
I didn't found the manual for the 650 following the link or on Hitch's site but I've found it, in English, on a french forum.
Here's the link : http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/spip/spip.php?article652
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:57:40 am by Voun »

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
What am i doing wrong.  When I click the link, it takes me to the Hitchcocks website where it shows everything except the twin.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
I can’t see the 650 manual to either view or download!
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Just take a look at my last post just above ... ;)

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Update.

We listed all the workshop manuals on our website for downloading free of charge, both English made RE models and current Indian models. Unfortunately, we have been forced to remove any workshop manuals for the very latest models, this includes the 650 Twins. These are not available in a paper format to purchase through RE, and we are told these workshop manuals are for dealer use only.

As a company, it is something we have to abide by, but we are in talks with RE to have this decision reconsidered, as we feel it is something that should be readily available to owners in order to maintain their bikes correctly. 

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Update.

We listed all the workshop manuals on our website for downloading free of charge, both English made RE models and current Indian models. Unfortunately, we have been forced to remove any workshop manuals for the very latest models, this includes the 650 Twins. These are not available in a paper format to purchase through RE, and we are told these workshop manuals are for dealer use only.

As a company, it is something we have to abide by, but we are in talks with RE to have this decision reconsidered, as we feel it is something that should be readily available to owners in order to maintain their bikes correctly.

It is quite understandable when manufacturers publish these manuals to want to defend their copyrights on them for several years, because not to do so means they soon appear on the internet for anyone to access without paying them for the rights to have it. Hence, they usually offer them for sale to both dealers and Diy'ers and make some money off their investment.

But to not even offer them for sale to the public, through their dealerships, seems extremely short sighted of RE and I could only assume the rationale is to drive the servicing side of a dealer's business, as a means to support a growing dealership network while in its infancy in most foreign countries. Meanwhile, RE will not be gathering any goodwill from potential RE bike owners who prefer to do their own maintenance.

RE's focus should be on selling as many bikes as they can, without putting roadblocks to satisfaction with the company in a customers way, while their dealerships will survive just fine if they have fully qualified technicians who can keep that segment of their business bringing back repeat service customers.

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
It is quite understandable when manufacturers publish these manuals to want to defend their copyrights on them for several years, because not to do so means they soon appear on the internet for anyone to access without paying them for the rights to have it. Hence, they usually offer them for sale to both dealers and Diy'ers and make some money off their investment.

But to not even offer them for sale to the public, through their dealerships, seems extremely short sighted of RE and I could only assume the rationale is to drive the servicing side of a dealer's business, as a means to support a growing dealership network while in its infancy in most foreign countries. Meanwhile, RE will not be gathering any goodwill from potential RE bike owners who prefer to do their own maintenance.

RE's focus should be on selling as many bikes as they can, without putting roadblocks to satisfaction with the company in a customers way, while their dealerships will survive just fine if they have fully qualified technicians who can keep that segment of their business bringing back repeat service customers.
I don't disagree. But there could be a sadder reason. Ie: I take my motorcycle apart. I put it back together. Test ride and something locks up (substitute whatever failure you choose) the bike (and me) skids under the wheels of the biggest truck in the world. You can see where this is going. At trial, the witnesses all say that I'm a known, competent mechanic. I used the shop manual as the gospel. ....
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
I don't disagree. But there could be a sadder reason. Ie: I take my motorcycle apart. I put it back together. Test ride and something locks up (substitute whatever failure you choose) the bike (and me) skids under the wheels of the biggest truck in the world. You can see where this is going. At trial, the witnesses all say that I'm a known, competent mechanic. I used the shop manual as the gospel. ....

Not to discard that idea, but I had to laugh about the "At trial" mention, as we all know how litigious the USA can be.  ;D

And that would be on RE's dime if it was awarded, not the dealer, so I would think that any manufacturer would make damn sure that all critical data is correct before publication. I have found minor errors in my Honda ST1100 manual, dealing only with a minor lube point issue, but never an improper torque value or any other such critical information.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:59:26 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Speaking of the US, I'm fairly sure that US law precludes the manufacturer from withholding the shop manual data. I have a feeling it's tied in with their constitutional rights to make the information available publicly. Not free mind but available.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Speaking of the US, I'm fairly sure that US law precludes the manufacturer from withholding the shop manual data. I have a feeling it's tied in with their constitutional rights to make the information available publicly. Not free mind but available.

Ciao

That's not as clear cut as it use to be, especially if you're not an authorized workshop. Right now there is a lot of discussion going on concerning "right to repair" specifically who has that right and to what extent. John Deere and some of the other large equipment manufacturers are taking the stance that the end user doesn't have the right to certain "intellectual property" that's traditionally been found in shop manuals. It's become a burning issue with farmers, who can't wait, (or afford) for a factory tech to work on their broken machinery. It's also an issue for watercraft, in particular things like commercial fishing boats, where a broken engine can literally mean life or death. My brother is a John Deere marine engine dealer and tells me things are becoming quite contentious with lawsuits flying left, right and center.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
God this world is getting sillier by the day.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
God this world is getting sillier by the day.

Ciao
And this is largely why I prefer the company of dogs.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Maybe this will inspire Haynes to come out with a RE 650 twin service manual...

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650

2wheelsmovethesoul

• Scooter
  • 1979 Bullet; 2006 Bonnie; 2019 Interceptor 650 OC
This one should stay up for a week or two: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5yf7bxusah6vfn2/RE_650_Service_Manual.pdf

Jesus Christ! 834Mb for a pdf file??? what's in that thing?

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Anything you need to take care of your bike, if you know reading and have a minimum of good tools !

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650

Literally all the viruses.  ;D

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Literally all the viruses.  ;D
Nope, test the file with your antivirus before saying that, the book is huge.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Nope, test the file with your antivirus before saying that, the book is huge.

Oh, I was kidding. I'm the one that uploaded it. There's no viruses.

OR ARE THERE??? MWAHAHAHAHA!

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Sorry, I was in a bad mood yesterday ! I thought you were talking about "my" file which is deleted now it seems, but which I keep for anyone who needs it, just pm.
Sorry again Mortifile ! ;)

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Sorry, I was in a bad mood yesterday ! I thought you were talking about "my" file which is deleted now it seems, but which I keep for anyone who needs it, just pm.
Sorry again Mortifile ! ;)

No worries!

To keep this at the bottom, here's the current working link to the manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5yf7bxusah6vfn2/RE_650_Service_Manual.pdf

Lemcie

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: October 02, 2021, 09:17:32 am
Super helpful.Thank you very much. Ps a well thought-through manual.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 09:02:28 pm
Lots of bitmap images.

PDF files can contain text, vector graphics & bitmapped images
text & vector graphics=small, scalable & searchable
Bitmapped Image= Big, fixed resolution & not scaleable.
This one seems to be a mix of both.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650

Tukemeister

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 10:38:13 am
You can find a lot of PDF readers here : https://pdf.wondershare.fr/top-pdf-software/free-pdf-reader.html (sorry the site is in French, télécharger means download)
I didn't found the manual for the 650 following the link or on Hitch's site but I've found it, in English, on a french forum.
Its all foreign to me. I have downloaded these PDF's but they are in French. Is there an English version or am I doing something wrong or is there an English PDRF version

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #28 on: October 19, 2021, 03:56:42 am
Here's a new (English) version with a handy index created by Intybe: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vx3toycehe4wcv/1._Service_Manual_-_Contents_bookmarked.pdf/file

grahamb1

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 05:26:30 pm
Thanks so much for that.  I put the manual on a memory stick and took it to my local print shop.  They charged £25 to print all 700 odd pages, hole punched and double sided, plus £4 for a lever arch file. A bargain, I thought.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #30 on: December 23, 2021, 10:54:14 am
Here's a new (English) version with a handy index created by Intybe: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vx3toycehe4wcv/1._Service_Manual_-_Contents_bookmarked.pdf/file

That file, or site, is rejected by my anti-virus software.

Bearcat7

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: December 23, 2021, 02:03:26 pm
here ya go guys  ;)

large file so be patient for it to download

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EPfodqvw-ZL_bvy6LIzhlByW8KlNFlNe/view

I am 90% sure this is where I downloaded from. It doesn't have the clickable links like the one someone edited.
Thanks Dr. Mayhem!

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #32 on: December 23, 2021, 02:38:07 pm
That file, or site, is rejected by my anti-virus software.

Mediafire's been around for years and years. It's safe, and since I uploaded the file myself I know it doesn't have any viruses. You need new antivirus software.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 23, 2021, 06:21:55 pm
It threw up a betting popup. Suppose it could have been worse. I'll give it a try on a different device.

I found I already have one saved, but Find takes an age on it.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 22, 2022, 08:05:23 am
A DM from a member asking about the manual prompted me to complete the bookmarking job I started a while back. Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d2t4yamfx5h358/1.%20Service%20Manual%20-%20bookmarked%20and%20indexed.pdf?dl=0

Please let me know if you find any errors and I'll correct them.

Note that the numbering of sections and subsections in the original is not always consistent or even logical, but I followed it all the same. For example, 10.1.38 has two consecutive entries with different headings, and 9.11 is followed by 1.1 instead of 9.12.

Also, the original manual had live links throughout. For example, Section 1.2 How to Use this Manual, pg 12, formats the chapters in the table in blue (ie indicating links) and says, "Click and explore on the blue icons to refer individual chapters", but these links and others throughout the manual are broken. Maybe I'll figure out how to restore them one day.

I've attached a couple of screenshots Voun sent that show the difference between the (once) live links within the pdf (eg Section 1.2) and the bookmarks function in Adobe that I've use to create a "Contents page" of live links to chapters, sections and subsection.The blue arrow points to Adobe's bookmarks icon. Click on it and the chapters of the manual will appear. Click on the arrows to the left of the chapters to expand them into sections and so on for subsections.   

Happy to answer questions and receive feedback to improve it.

Enjoy

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #36 on: February 22, 2022, 03:54:44 pm
To put the current live link at the bottom again:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vx3toycehe4wcv/1._Service_Manual_-_Contents_bookmarked.pdf/file
Mort, thanks again for doing this.
I just downloaded this newest edition. I keep a copy of this on a flash drive and store it inside my RE tool pouch so that I always have with the bike in needed.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vx3toycehe4wcv/1._Service_Manual_-_Contents_bookmarked.pdf/file
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 22, 2022, 11:10:44 pm
Mort, thanks again for doing this.
I just downloaded this newest edition. I keep a copy of this on a flash drive and store it inside my RE tool pouch so that I always have with the bike in needed.

That's not the newest edition, NV, and it's only half bookmarked. The newest (fully bookmarked) edition is my dropbox (link in my post above yours)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #38 on: February 23, 2022, 12:11:52 am
That's not the newest edition, NV, and it's only half bookmarked. The newest (fully bookmarked) edition is my dropbox (link in my post above yours)

OK thanks! I got confused when he pinged it to move the link post to the lowest position on the page. I just down loaded the current one and swapped it out on my thumb drive.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #39 on: February 25, 2022, 01:52:01 am
A DM from a member asking about the manual prompted me to complete the bookmarking job I started a while back. Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d2t4yamfx5h358/1.%20Service%20Manual%20-%20bookmarked%20and%20indexed.pdf?dl=0

Please let me know if you find any errors and I'll correct them.

Note that the numbering of sections and subsections in the original is not always consistent or even logical, but I followed it all the same. For example, 10.1.38 has two consecutive entries with different headings, and 9.11 is followed by 1.1 instead of 9.12.

Also, the original manual had live links throughout. For example, Section 1.2 How to Use this Manual, pg 12, formats the chapters in the table in blue (ie indicating links) and says, "Click and explore on the blue icons to refer individual chapters", but these links and others throughout the manual are broken. Maybe I'll figure out how to restore them one day.

I've attached a couple of screenshots Voun sent that show the difference between the (once) live links within the pdf (eg Section 1.2) and the bookmarks function in Adobe that I've use to create a "Contents page" of live links to chapters, sections and subsection.The blue arrow points to Adobe's bookmarks icon. Click on it and the chapters of the manual will appear. Click on the arrows to the left of the chapters to expand them into sections and so on for subsections.   

Happy to answer questions and receive feedback to improve it.

Enjoy

Top effort Mark, thanks

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: October 13, 2022, 06:01:35 am
A fellow member alerted me that the link above to the bookmarked and indexed manual I created was broken, so I'm reposting a new one. Please PM me if it doesn't work for you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s53r3gop8ov3qjn/1.%20Service%20Manual%20-%20bookmarked%20and%20indexed%2021.2.22.pdf?dl=0

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: October 13, 2022, 06:21:02 am
Here's a link to a bookmarked (HTML?) version of the manual that's quick and easy to use:

https://www.bikesinfotech.com/royal_enfield_interceptor_650_service_manual-507.html

With thanks to Cyril31 for bringing this to my attention.

Ps, The only apparent downside of this version is it's online only, ie you can't download individual pages, sections, etc. to print off. To to that you'll need to download the pdf tome from the dropbox link I posted above.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #42 on: October 13, 2022, 03:29:21 pm
Here's a link to a bookmarked (HTML?) version of the manual that's quick and easy to use:

https://www.bikesinfotech.com/royal_enfield_interceptor_650_service_manual-507.html

With thanks to Cyril31 for bringing this to my attention.

Ps, The only apparent downside of this version is it's online only, ie you can't download individual pages, sections, etc. to print off. To to that you'll need to download the pdf tome from the dropbox link I posted above.
I am getting directed to a download site that wants card details and payment?
Freedom.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: October 15, 2022, 09:33:36 am
I am getting directed to a download site that wants card details and payment?
That's strange, James. When I click the link to bikesinfotech, I'm taken directly to the HTML version of the 650 manual 🤔

Anyone else having problems with this link?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #44 on: October 15, 2022, 02:00:38 pm
That's strange, James. When I click the link to bikesinfotech, I'm taken directly to the HTML version of the 650 manual 🤔

Assuming you are on a computer: Once you arrive at the HTML page _ print to PDF or SAVE as PDF.
_ At first glance, it looks like a well done manual.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #45 on: October 16, 2022, 10:14:38 am

Tried 3 times again.It takes me to a page my manuals  where it asks make,model,email address.
Clicking continue it then takes me to a payment page.Its not allowing me to take a screenshot to show you the pages.I am working from a Lenovo tablet that works fine with no security issues.
Freedom.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #46 on: October 16, 2022, 10:38:15 am
That's ok now I have got it.There is an add "My Manuals" which sits on the same page and directs you to the payment page which confused me.Add deleted.
Freedom.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: October 16, 2022, 12:15:41 pm
Assuming you are on a computer: Once you arrive at the HTML page _ print to PDF or SAVE as PDF.
_ At first glance, it looks like a well done manual.

Note that you can only download 1-2 pgs at a time that way and the page you download comes with all the surrounding bikesinfotech guff, ie your downloading the Web page not the manual page.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: October 16, 2022, 12:21:19 pm
Tried 3 times again.It takes me to a page my manuals  where it asks make,model,email address.
Clicking continue it then takes me to a payment page.Its not allowing me to take a screenshot to show you the pages.I am working from a Lenovo tablet that works fine with no security issues.

Bummer James. Do you have access to a PC? That's what Im using and have no problems, certainly none with pop ups wanting credit card details.

Also, no site can stop you taking a screen shot, which is a function controlled by your device.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #49 on: October 16, 2022, 04:19:14 pm
All sorted now thanks for the info.
Freedom.

Rushforth

• Neophyte
Reply #50 on: November 08, 2022, 11:00:52 pm
Got mine off ebay printed copy 46 gbp that's postage included

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 19, 2023, 07:22:27 am
Any links to Euro 5 versions?

Kentherev

• Neophyte
Reply #52 on: March 23, 2023, 06:02:09 am
The only manuals I found are in French. Diagrams are handy I guess, but one in English would be better

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #53 on: March 27, 2023, 04:15:28 pm
No, you have it in English by clicking the image (on the site, not in this post http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/spip/spip.php?article652)

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: March 31, 2023, 11:15:10 pm
When I clicked on the image it wouldn’t load.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7l qd2
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

All about anything fast enough to do something stupid with.

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #55 on: April 05, 2023, 08:45:12 pm
I've sent you a pm

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #56 on: April 06, 2023, 01:54:54 pm
Be careful ordering parts based on the part numbers in this manual. Most part numbers have changed. Not a lot, mostly an /something added to the number, but if you order the parts as mentioned in the manual, your dealer (well, my dealer at least) might come back to you that those parts you ordered are not available anymore. If this happens, ask for an alternative compatible part instead.
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #57 on: April 06, 2023, 09:07:47 pm
Thanks for the advice

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: April 11, 2023, 03:04:52 pm
 I have downloaded every version of the service manual in this thread. They all seem correct, that is they will open and I can see at least the beginnings of the manual.
 But, trying to navigate to higher page numbers, like in the 500 range causes the pdf reader on my phone or iPad to choke and jump back to the beginning.
 The file is slow to load and almost impossible to navigate.
 I know that this is mainly because the pages are photos, not text. Pdf allows both text and scanned photos to be displayed and these files are all scanned.
 I have the ‘indexed’ version, yet clicking on an entry in the contents page does nothing.
 I have tried to compress the pdf for faster load time but it results in a file now over 1 gig from the original 875mb version.
 I have tried to load into Adobe Reader online but it tells me the file is corrupt. I have downloaded from this forum multiple time and get same results.
 I have tried to optimize vis PDF Pen software but it crashes the program.
 Trying to load into Adobe Reader on my iPad also results in a corrupt file error.
 The only way I have found to be able to navigate to higher page numbers is with Preview on my Mac, a 6-core i7 with 64gig ram, way more horsepower than my phone or iPad.
 Does anyone know of a version that is not all scanned pages, i.e. the original typed manual?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #59 on: April 11, 2023, 04:22:36 pm
I have downloaded every version of the service manual in this thread. They all seem correct, that is they will open and I can see at least the beginnings of the manual.
 But, trying to navigate to higher page numbers, like in the 500 range causes the pdf reader on my phone or iPad to choke and jump back to the beginning.
 The file is slow to load and almost impossible to navigate.
 I know that this is mainly because the pages are photos, not text. Pdf allows both text and scanned photos to be displayed and these files are all scanned.
 I have the ‘indexed’ version, yet clicking on an entry in the contents page does nothing.
 I have tried to compress the pdf for faster load time but it results in a file now over 1 gig from the original 875mb version.
 I have tried to load into Adobe Reader online but it tells me the file is corrupt. I have downloaded from this forum multiple time and get same results.
 I have tried to optimize vis PDF Pen software but it crashes the program.
 Trying to load into Adobe Reader on my iPad also results in a corrupt file error.
 The only way I have found to be able to navigate to higher page numbers is with Preview on my Mac, a 6-core i7 with 64gig ram, way more horsepower than my phone or iPad.
 Does anyone know of a version that is not all scanned pages, i.e. the original typed manual?
The answer to your question, as asked, is no.
The solution for your problem might be to load it on your Mac and divide it into ~4 sections by Print to PDF Pages x to x

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 11, 2023, 04:59:53 pm
I have a version that is navigable and on which I can select text. Filename is 'Service Manual - P model.pdf'. It's 875.1Mb uncompressed.

Unfortunately, I don't remember which link I used to download it, but I do remember Voun helping me to locate it.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: April 11, 2023, 05:30:28 pm
I have a version that is navigable and on which I can select text. Filename is 'Service Manual - P model.pdf'. It's 875.1Mb uncompressed.

Unfortunately, I don't remember which link I used to download it, but I do remember Voun helping me to locate it.
That filename is the first link in this thread. Unfortunately it is a broken link.
 Any chance you could send me that file to me, or repost it?

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: April 11, 2023, 09:05:36 pm
No problem. I'll Dropbox it tomorrow.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: April 11, 2023, 11:06:51 pm
Thank you!

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: April 12, 2023, 10:04:47 pm
File provided by Breezin works. I can search by text and get to all pages. Index still does not work but thats minor.
 Thank you Breezin.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: April 13, 2023, 01:25:03 pm
You're welcome!

Maaara

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: April 22, 2023, 10:18:04 pm

May I ask for the link as well? Thanks.

BRX39.5

• Scooter
Reply #67 on: April 25, 2023, 12:31:38 am
Prompted by this thread I checked the copy I had downloaded into acrobat a while ago, only to find it was showing as corrupted and wouldn’t open.
So I have downloaded the copy from INTYBE in post#40(thanks!) and saved in “files” and “books” on IOS and can open the manual again, it’s just a bit awkward to navigate.
Acrobat still doesn’t open the fresh download. >:(

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #68 on: April 27, 2023, 06:21:21 pm
Yes, Acrobat is a bit messy, at least for me, so I use Sumatra PDF and I can easily navigate on the left side of the page

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Prompted by this thread I checked the copy I had downloaded into acrobat a while ago, only to find it was showing as corrupted and wouldn’t open.
So I have downloaded the copy from INTYBE in post#40(thanks!) and saved in “files” and “books” on IOS and can open the manual again, it’s just a bit awkward to navigate.
Acrobat still doesn’t open the fresh download. >:(

I see that you and Jess and perhaps others have had some difficulties downloading and/or using the Euro 4 manual I shared via dropbox.

I ran a test the other night using the link I shared in Post #40 and the manual downloaded to my desktop in 4-5 min. I did this without logging into the dropbox account where the file is saved and my internet speed is 12Mbs, so quite slow.

When I double click the file on my desktop, it takes less than 4 sec to open. It opens automatically in Adobe Acrobat Pro (64), which I obviously have installed.

And navigating to and opening a page in any chapter, section, or subsection, anywhere in the manual, using the bookmarks function, takes a split section. The bookmarks function is the quickest way to navigate the manual.

My computer is a 7 year old, mid spec PC, running Windows 10.

Ps, I'm not sure what "indexing" does. Initially, I thought it would speed up the search function but it doesn't appear to do that as it's still slow to search key words. Use the bookmarks function and hopefully you'll be satisfied.

Here is the link, again, to the Euro 4 manual:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s53r3gop8ov3qjn/1.%20Service%20Manual%20-%20bookmarked%20and%20indexed%2021.2.22.pdf?dl=0

« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:52:10 am by Intybe »

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
I see that you and Jess and perhaps others have had some difficulties downloading and/or using the Euro 4 manual I shared via dropbox.

I ran a test the other night using the link I shared in Post #40 and the manual downloaded to my desktop in 4-5 min. I did this without logging into the dropbox account where the file is saved and my internet speed is 12Mbs, so quite slow.

When I double click the file on my desktop, it takes less than 4 sec to open. It opens automatically in Adobe Acrobat Pro (64), which I obviously have installed.

And navigating to and opening a page in any chapter, section, or subsection, anywhere in the manual, using the bookmarks function, takes a split section. The bookmarks function is the quickest way to navigate the manual.

My computer is a 7 year old, mid spec PC, running Windows 10.

Ps, I'm not sure what "indexing" does. Initially, I thought it would speed up the search function but it doesn't appear to do that as it's still slow to search key words. Use the bookmarks function and hopefully you'll be satisfied.

Here is the link, again, to the Euro 4 manual:

I used this link to download the manual again. Took app 3 minutes on SpaceX  @ 189mbps
Opens quickly, but scrolling it gets to around page 60ish and it resets back to page one. Multiple attempts to get to higher page numbers gives same results, sometimes it gets further, I think I got to page 112 by scrolling excruciatingly slow, but it eventually resets back to page one.
No joy.

I’m pretty much just using the Service Training Manual as it seems to be the better manual.

Thanks for trying.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Hi Jess,

Scrolling through the manual to whatever page on my PC is effortless, maybe fractionally slower than using the bookmarks, which is super fast and which I prefer because I can go straight to the sub/section I'm after. If the issue you're having is not due to your PC being slow (which I doubt), it's likely the adobe version you're using. I'm using the latest Adobe Acrobat Pro (64 bit)

Cheers