Author Topic: Electrical Faults?  (Read 9198 times)

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 10:06:40 pm
Axman is correct, there is no field wiring.  For a good description of the testing process follow this link:

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/core/media/media.nl?id=188331&c=1062795&h=ebaccc421262c7f1c541&_xt=.pdf

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 12:28:54 pm
Thank you very much for posting an article on how to trace faults, even though its for machines built between 1987-1999, mines a 2004. I think everybody that has posted on this thread is well accomplished in how to use a multimeter to perform the various checks throughout a wiring loom. Although some of the values given are a bit optimistic in the Hitchcocks article. 

Whats up for debate is what constitutes a healthy battery. I'm a bit perplexed as to why Axe Man asked mine and Adrian's opinion on converting an iron barrel bullet to AC, when he quite clearly seems to have a good understanding of electrical theory.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 03:59:26 pm
I'm a bit perplexed as to why Axe Man asked mine and Adrian's opinion

I asked Adrian's to get the valuable info that it had been indeed been done before and for the lead to the thread detailing it.

I asked yours just to be polite.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 05:16:24 pm
My general attitude towards bike maintenance, born of profound ignorance, is to try the simplest fix first and don't get into other things before that fix is implemented and tested, since multiple simultaneous fiddlings will only make a problem murkier.

I'm pretty sure the original poster's battery was shot. A new battery should hopefully sort out the original problem. Replacing the rectifier, installing a magneto, or adapting a Mr. Fusion to the Flux Capacitor assembly may not be at all necessary.

My 2005 can't be a far cry from the original poster's 2004 electrically-speaking. Accordingly, I've taken the liberty of doing a few voltage measurements at the battery terminals just as a ready reference to what might be considered "normal", at least with mine. To its credit, my 2005 recently did a 16 hour run in the continually pissing rain without so much as a hiccup. So, I'd say its electrics are pretty reliable as Enfields go. Aside from having had its starter sprag gearing and the little dogbone connector that overrode the headlamp switch both removed, and an electronic ignition installed by a previous owner, as far as I know it's pretty much stock, with about 14,000 miles on it, ten of which are mine.

It's presently just about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, having gone down last night to just below freezing at 31. The bike has not been on a run in three days and is not presently hooked to a battery tender or charger.

Measurement at the battery terminals cold before starting: 12.6 volts.

Started first kick! (choke on, whisper of throttle)

1 minute after starting, low idle: 15.4 volts

5 minutes after starting, low idle: 15.2 volts

10 minutes after starting, low idle: 15.1 volts

With headlamp on after 10 minutes, low idle: 13.4
 volts

After about 10 minutes of running at low idle, engine was stopped, allowed to sit another 5 and measured one last time: 12.8 volts.

I hope this data will help guide the original poster's ride back to full health.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:28:01 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 06:06:40 pm
Thanks Bilgemaster. That does mirror my bike. And the last time I tested the battery, years ago before the last batch of problems, my results mirrored yours, except your high reg rectifier output. 

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 01:49:33 am
Thanks Bilgemaster. That does mirror my bike. And the last time I tested the battery, years ago before the last batch of problems, my results mirrored yours, except your high reg rectifier output.

You're very welcome, and I foresee you roaring again through Piddletrenthide in no time.

By the way, that's a very fine looking ride in your avatar. Silver's the bomb. It kind of resembles my poor worn out old '67 Norton N15CS "Desert Sled", a sort of export hybrid with a Matchless frame and Norton Atlas 750 engine that were cobbled together especially for the Yankee market and our desert racing before the 2-strokes took over. Apart from some recent imports from the States, I don't believe the model was ever sold in the UK, so they must be pretty rare there. My old "daily driver" of the '90s is shown below in hibernation in the shed I built for it...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:57:31 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 01:54:15 pm
"Thrill Grill"?  What do you grill that gives you a thrill.  Road kill?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:58:21 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 07:55:03 pm
"Thrill Grill"?  What do you grill that gives you a thrill.  Road kill?  ;D

Richard. What's that reference? Been lookin'. Can't find it  ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2019, 09:10:05 pm
Our man Richard230 must be referencing an earlier thread that mentioned my unique barbecuing skillz at those bi-annual Oley, PA gatherings...

How Bilgey gets those shishkebabs so "smokey"

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:25:38 pm by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2019, 10:27:03 pm
         Richard. What's that reference? Been lookin'. Can't find it  ???

A bag of Thrill Grill was in the picture of Bilgemaster's garage that he posted earlier today showing his old Norton. It is at the lower left of the photo.  See the attached copy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:31:23 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 02:44:13 pm
You're very welcome, and I foresee you roaring again through Piddletrenthide in no time.

By the way, that's a very fine looking ride in your avatar. Silver's the bomb. It kind of resembles my poor worn out old '67 Norton N15CS "Desert Sled", a sort of export hybrid with a Matchless frame and Norton Atlas 750 engine that were cobbled together especially for the Yankee market and our desert racing before the 2-strokes took over. Apart from some recent imports from the States, I don't believe the model was ever sold in the UK, so they must be pretty rare there. My old "daily driver" of the '90s is shown below in hibernation in the shed I built for it...

Thanks, yes it is quite a unique RE I have, as its not off the shelf so to speak. There are loads of after market goodies. One of my favourite after market goodies is the mid 1950's Lucas tail light. Looks far better than the standard item.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 02:55:18 pm
Well everybody my RE is now a healthy runner again.

I wired the cheap auction site regulator rectifier to the bike today. I also fitted the battery. The battery is a gel battery which I found very cheap online. The bike started up second kick, and everything works as it should, all problems solved.

Just in case anybody has similar problems and finds this thread in a search. And purchases the same part off of the auction site. The wiring for a 2004 electric start bullet is REG yellow wire to bike violet wire. REG pink wire to bike violet wire. REG red wire to bike red and yellow wire ( to amp meter ). REG green wire to bike black wire ( to earth ).

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 04:05:03 pm
Thanks, yes it is quite a unique RE I have, as its not off the shelf so to speak. There are loads of after market goodies. One of my favourite after market goodies is the mid 1950's Lucas tail light. Looks far better than the standard item.

:) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 08:33:19 pm