Author Topic: Uncle STU talks a bit of sense, for the UK.  (Read 5400 times)

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 01, 2021, 03:23:17 pm
Uncle STU talks a bit of sense, for the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS2Kq_qzl-A
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 06:28:14 pm
I haven’t watched most of his videos for awhile even through I’m still subscribed. Sick of the politics and the spruiking of mostly crappy accessories
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Jon_98

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 09:11:18 pm
Some of the issues he covers impact the US as well, specifically telemetry devices being mandated for vehicles...... it's buried in the "Build back better" legislation.
When you reach a fork in the road, take it.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 11:18:39 pm
I got about ten minutes in then had to stop watching.  Uncle Stu is even more verbose than my right wing uncles, which is saying a lot, and an even bigger font of misinformation.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 11:33:16 pm
Some of the issues he covers impact the US as well, specifically telemetry devices being mandated for vehicles...... it's buried in the "Build back better" legislation.

Telemetry devices are already installed in lot's of vehicles. At the public utility I worked for the first thing we did whenever one of our vehicles was involved in an accident was hook up the scan tool and take a look at the logged information, which among other things told us speed, when the brakes were applied, whether ABS engaged and so on. In several cases having that info exonerated our drivers.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 12:38:52 am
Telemetry devices are already installed in lot's of vehicles. At the public utility I worked for the first thing we did whenever one of our vehicles was involved in an accident was hook up the scan tool and take a look at the logged information, which among other things told us speed, when the brakes were applied, whether ABS engaged and so on. In several cases having that info exonerated our drivers.
Those devices are on a 20 second loop of stored info, as I recall. They were in all production GM cars, I think, about 2011 in the USA. Other brands followed.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jon_98

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 01:16:43 am
I know that many business vehicles and rental vehicles have telemetry devices and have had for several years.... but for a privately owned vehicle, does a buyer know it's there and consent to it? I'm thinking 4th Amendment here. Suffice it to say I don't like/trust "smart" devices.
When you reach a fork in the road, take it.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 02:18:27 am
Those devices are on a 20 second loop of stored info, as I recall. They were in all production GM cars, I think, about 2011 in the USA. Other brands followed.

I don't recall the time frame, but that sounds about right. Most of what you needed to know occured in the last few seconds before impact. On some vehicles, International trucks from around 2012 for one example, you could pull information like average vehicle speed, mileage or how much time the truck had spent idling, even how many times the ABS had come on, from the day the truck was built. A lot of our drivers were scared of it, but like I said, having that info cleared a few guys who might otherwise have been in some trouble after an accident.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 03:50:09 am
I drive Audi & VW cars and use Rosstech software to ‘talk’ to the cars. There are tons of things you can do, i.e. set the windows to roll down when unlock fob is held down, change unlock behavior, modify sound system, etc.
 I’ve poked around in the system quite a-lot and never found any stored data other than fault codes.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

travbee

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 04:56:51 am
I drive Audi & VW cars and use Rosstech software to ‘talk’ to the cars. There are tons of things you can do, i.e. set the windows to roll down when unlock fob is held down, change unlock behavior, modify sound system, etc.
 I’ve poked around in the system quite a-lot and never found any stored data other than fault codes.

"waves at fellow VAG driver"

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 04:59:49 am
lol what a dumb video. cant believe i wasted time watching part of it. why share this trash.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 05:57:13 am
lol what a dumb video. cant believe i wasted time watching part of it. why share this trash.

Confucius says "One man's Trash is another man's Treasure" 🤣🤣 it's about personal choice
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

JLewis

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 08:10:54 am
It sounds like it's very much in line with all UK transport policy, rather than singling out bikes in particular.

Ol' Stu sounds like one of those scaremongering 70s and 80s MAG reps, you know, those guys who were on the dole but led all the protest rides on brand new Shovelheads while we wobbled along behind on shagged-out Superdreams wondering where our MAG contributions went...

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 08:45:10 am
Jeez I may have to have a watch of this Guy see what it's about 🤣🤣
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 10:02:52 am
I haven’t watched most of his videos for awhile even through I’m still subscribed. Sick of the politics and the spruiking of mostly crappy accessories

"Sick of the politics" you may be but that is exactly what governments the world over rely on. Nobody pays any attention then before you know it the freedoms you took for granted are a thing of the past.