« Last Post by ButteMT on Today at 05:16:08 pm »
Cool - Thank you.
Very nice work.

Ride Safe 🙏🏼
looks the same to me...

Ride Safe 🙏🏼
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: 2nd Hand Motorbike Market
« Last Post by Gone in 60 on Today at 04:59:13 pm »
Might be regional. I'm in Southern California, and cast a wide net when I peruse FB Marketplace, the greater L.A., Orange County and San Diego area. I see lots of GT and INT 650s, as well as other recent RE models. They seem to be following the general "post covid bubble", and while asking prices were somewhat high last year, they're coming down slightly.

As for air-cooled Bonnevilles, plenty of them for sale here. I have a '12 T100, so I keep a pulse on that market. Prices have levelled a bit, but people with customs think they're worth gold, of course.
@ #37: +1  "Personally I've never know any petrol engine that didn't benefit from a good thrash every now and then."

Apparently the increased "WFO" cylinder pressures are necessary (applied in bursts, or course) to help the rings seat ("scrub in") properly.

One old way of doing it is to drive the engine in a higher gear to a reasonable revs then back off an coast to the original speed then repeat several times
Campfire Talk / Re: Україна і Родина
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on Today at 04:24:22 pm »
The GOPPPW suffers a setback... :o

War in Ukraine: US to send new aid this week, Biden says ; 24 April 2024

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68885868

US President Joe Biden says his country will start sending fresh weapons and equipment to Ukraine within days.
Late on Tuesday, the US Senate approved a $95bn (£76bn) foreign aid package that includes military support for Israel and Taiwan as well as Ukraine.
Mr Biden vowed to sign it off "as soon as it reaches my desk" on Wednesday, so that aid can be sent "this week".
Ukraine has recently stepped up its calls for Western assistance as Russia makes steady gains in its invasion.
Included in the package is $61bn in military aid for Ukraine. It passed the Senate in a bipartisan vote of 79-18.
Tuesday evening's approval came after the measure passed the US House of Representatives on Saturday.
Mr Biden hailed its passage in a statement, calling it "critical legislation [that] will make our nation and world more secure as we support our friends who are defending themselves against terrorists like Hamas and tyrants like [Russian President Vladimir] Putin".
Democratic Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said: "After more than six months of hard work and many twists and turns in the road, America sends a message to the entire world: we will not turn our back on you."
Reacting to the vote, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said it "reinforces America's role as a beacon of democracy and leader of the free world".
The Senate passed a similar aid package in February, but a group of conservatives who oppose new Ukraine support had prevented it from coming to a vote in the House of Representatives.
Campfire Talk / Re: ישראל כחזית השלישית
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on Today at 04:19:26 pm »
Nobody else is talking Red Sea news today. The Indian Navy is in the thick of it.

Houthis Planning Big Action Amid Iran-Israel Tension? 'Indian Ocean, Red Sea, Arab Sea' Call Issued
Hindustan Times; 24 April 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qkVY9jQYk

Yemen's Houthis have called for an escalation in operations against vessels linked to Israel. The group reportedly issued a statement after the discovery of alleged mass graves in Khan Younis. In the statement, Houthis cited the "brutal massacre" of Palestinians in Khan Younis. The Houthi rebels have been attacking ships in the Red Sea since November 2023 to oppose Israel's war on Gaza.
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Small screw, big problem
« Last Post by zimmemr on Today at 04:13:37 pm »
Right, I'm just a wee bit ashamed of this, but I got the job done without cutting a new thread, or at least without using a tap in the proper manner.

I'd ordered some questionable-quality ss bolts from Amazon, which arrived before I had the opportunity to get a decent tap and die set. I was pleased to see that the bolt had a bigger hex than the original: this gave me way more turning force, and it drove home in one go with a little resistance, I suspect from residual thread lock. I back it out again and refitted it to make sure I wasn't storing up trouble for the future. Bingo!

So now I have (I hope) a working ABS system again, but have to wait to confirm that in an actual ride which isn't possible just now. I hope the result is positive, because if it isn't I won't know what I've done wrong, and my new-found Zen approach to motorcycle maintenance might be severely tested.

I'd just like to express my sincere thanks to everyone who generously contributed ideas, some with incredible detail. I'm been on quite a few motorbike forums, but this one is way out in front in terms of the superb quality of the advice freely given by members. Actually, I think that has to do with the nature of these bikes and the kind of people who appreciate them.

+1 Glad the outcome was positive. FWIW I think your sentiments are spot on.
@ #37: +1  "Personally I've never know any petrol engine that didn't benefit from a good thrash every now and then."

Apparently the increased "WFO" cylinder pressures are necessary (applied in bursts, or course) to help the rings seat ("scrub in") properly.
411 & 450 Himalayan & Scram / Re: New 450 Himalayan or 411
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on Today at 04:01:53 pm »
Hasn't anyone rehomed their 411/460 in an old YZ400 frame yet? Pare off some road hugging weight & add good travel?
my own bike wet sumped like a goodness knows what when I bought it, eventually stripped the top end, found 2nd hand piston had been used and rings set incorrectly with the gaps almost in line and valves loose in guides ( which were also  loose in the head) and a barrel that had never been honed at all or possibly from its external condition had never been run in correctly (6k miles on clock)  so it was pulling oil into the combustion chamber and smoking like something running on coal.

2nd hand good cylinder head fitted (with big valves fitted for good measure  ;D ), 
new high compression meteor minor piston with rings gapped correctly and set at 120 degree
The barrel was given a good hone.
2x new oil pumps with reduced spring rate springs and new oil pump drive shaft and worm nut.
Hitchcock's breather mod which returns excess oil to the oil tank and as an added extra  I fitted a extra washer on the sump plugs to prevent the scavenge hole becoming blocked by the sump plug thread.

only after this did it stop smoking and blacking the plug. its a work in progress but at least that has been sorted out.

I would remove the head and barrel for inspection, checking rings condition, if the barrel needs honing get that done  and rebuild and reset the rings to 120 degree gaps from each other if no other obvious issues.

you mention 6k since rebuild but how has it been ridden?

The first few 100kms will obviously need gently riding to run in the engine but is the bike used for just plodding around as in high gear low rpm or is it given some higher rev's every now and then as this will help burn off any residue in the combustion chamber.

Personally I've never know any petrol engine that didn't benefit from a good thrash every now and then.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10