Author Topic: Royal Enfield continued success with the 650  (Read 4011 times)

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: May 29, 2022, 08:47:49 pm
Any product can have recalls especially vehicles. I don't recall Triumph unilaterally replacing brake calipers though.

I bought the first Glitter and Dust Int 650 in the area.

I loved it and great bang for the buck without question. Looks, handling, great engine & trans, and at a modest price.

We parted ways due to a physical limitation and I'm now on a Triumph Street Twin.

While both bikes are outstanding the difference in quality and components is not subtle.

RE welds a little cobby, castings not as finished, lower tier electrics and components, ByBre instead of Brembo and other nit picky stuff. The RE is definitely built to a price point and that is just fine.

Triumph uses higher tier components and electrics, their welds are cleaner, their castings have a higher degree of finish, and they charge us for it.

Both go down the road nicely... but they are two different bikes. You can't go wrong either way.

I have a look at the Speed Twin forum often and I must say they have a lot of oil leaks. Reminding me of my older Bullet. Luckily no oil leaks on Interceptors.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: May 29, 2022, 09:57:13 pm
Well there will be a lot of unemployment in all areas they have big plans for automation just look at the transition agriculture is going through, there has to be high unemployment eventually it’s an inevitable fact people will have less money.
Society has survived many major shifts in employment. Think of blacksmiths, candle makers, traveling door to door salesmen, buggy whip craftsmen etc.
 1980s & 1990s I created high end image
processing solutions for Airlines, oil companies,
& defense contractors. I designed and
supported systems costing several million
dollars each.
Every mobile phone on the planet today is a
thousand times more capable than any system
I built back then. So in the 2000s to now I
switched to consulting.
Times change, jobs change.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #32 on: May 29, 2022, 11:45:44 pm
Society has survived many major shifts in employment. Think of blacksmiths, candle makers, traveling door to door salesmen, buggy whip craftsmen etc.
 1980s & 1990s I created high end image
processing solutions for Airlines, oil companies,
& defense contractors. I designed and
supported systems costing several million
dollars each.
Every mobile phone on the planet today is a
thousand times more capable than any system
I built back then. So in the 2000s to now I
switched to consulting.
Times change, jobs change.

Not the same. Industries have been replaced, but the need for a workforce was still there. Yes, the industrial revolution did reduce the number of people required to produce manufactured goods but society made up for that deficit by manufacturing more goods. Never before have entire work forces been totally automated. It's going to be a shitshow until it isn't.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: May 30, 2022, 12:30:18 am
Not the same. Industries have been replaced, but the need for a workforce was still there. Yes, the industrial revolution did reduce the number of people required to produce manufactured goods but society made up for that deficit by manufacturing more goods. Never before have entire work forces been totally automated. It's going to be a shitshow until it isn't.
There are so many jobs in the computer industry that did not exist even 30 years ago its amazing.
 In 2005 if you told someone you were an Uber driver you would get a blank stare.
 No one ever heard of YouTube 40 years ago much less made a living from it.
 We constantly replace outdated labor with new types of labor.
 The only thing in the universe that is constant is change!

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #34 on: May 30, 2022, 01:17:54 am
There are so many jobs in the computer industry that did not exist even 30 years ago its amazing.
 In 2005 if you told someone you were an Uber driver you would get a blank stare.

Yeah, but this is really different. Those Uber drivers are going to be out of a job in a decade. Hell, Uber itself is one of the driving (See what I did there? :D ) forces behind automation in vehicles. The programming jobs are definitely there, but we're sending a LOT of them overseas. There's just nothing left to replace the 'unskilled' jobs that are going to lost to robot labor. The crisis is on the horizion and no one's doing anything to prepare.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #35 on: May 30, 2022, 01:23:29 am
I agree, Jess. Still the the work in the "trades" plumber, electrician, carpenter, welder, etc are doing very well.
Call one and they will try to fit you in next week or month. ;) I think that the school systems made a huge mistake when they turned up their noses at shop classes.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #36 on: May 30, 2022, 01:36:07 am
I agree, Jess. Still the the work in the "trades" plumber, electrician, carpenter, welder, etc are doing very well.
Call one and they will try to fit you in next week or month. ;) I think that the school systems made a huge mistake when they turned up their noses at shop classes.

Now, that last point I 100% agree with. My town in Mass had both the 'regular' High School and the 'Tech' school. I'm willing to bet that, on average, the kids that graduated from the tech school and went right into a trade are better off than the ones that graduated from regular high school.

There will always be SOME jobs that can't be automated.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: May 30, 2022, 02:17:13 pm
The factory vehicle assembly jobs in question here did not exist 120 years ago.
 Other than farmer & Solder, few jobs have been around for very long.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #38 on: May 30, 2022, 02:35:47 pm
The factory vehicle assembly jobs in question here did not exist 120 years ago.
 Other than farmer & Solder, few jobs have been around for very long.

K. Where are these 'new' jobs going to come from?

History has shown that we start off with labor intensive jobs and make them easier with technology. Farming used to required dozens of people to work a single field, now it's one guy with a tractor. There's just no new low/no skill jobs on the horizon, unless it's oiling our robot overlords.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 30, 2022, 05:41:51 pm
K. Where are these 'new' jobs going to come from?

History has shown that we start off with labor intensive jobs and make them easier with technology. Farming used to required dozens of people to work a single field, now it's one guy with a tractor. There's just no new low/no skill jobs on the horizon, unless it's oiling our robot overlords.
I don’t know. But buggy whip makers in the 1910s had no idea their jobs would be replaced by vehicle assembly jobs, most had never heard of a vehicle.
 Nobody driving Uber ever heard of personal taxi drivers 20 years ago. The list is endless.
 Oh and who ever thought you could make money letting a goat walk on peoples backs while doing exercise?
 People are extremely creative and resourceful,  we have survived for as long as we have by embracing change, not hopelessly fighting it.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #40 on: May 30, 2022, 05:51:18 pm
I don’t know. But buggy whip makers in the 1910s had no idea their jobs would be replaced by vehicle assembly jobs, most had never heard of a vehicle.
 Nobody driving Uber ever heard of personal taxi drivers 20 years ago. The list is endless.
 Oh and who ever thought you could make money letting a goat walk on peoples backs while doing exercise?
 People are extremely creative and resourceful,  we have survived for as long as we have by embracing change, not hopelessly fighting it.

And to circle back around to my original point: embracing change here is learning how to handle a society where there's not enough jobs for everyone.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: May 30, 2022, 05:59:07 pm
And to circle back around to my original point: embracing change here is learning how to handle a society where there's not enough jobs for everyone.
Mort, not sure how jobs are in Georgia (I assume you live in the State, not the country), but here in north Texas there are help wanted signs everywhere.
 Ive been trying to find someone to replace some farm fences for 4 years and cant find anyone who will do the job.
 There are, at least around here, plenty of jobs but not many willing to do them. (Like me who won’t even fix my own fences!)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: May 30, 2022, 09:07:03 pm
We have a shortage of motorcycle riding coaches here.  The demands of students for classes is huge, we can't get enough coaches to work!

Cookie

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #43 on: May 30, 2022, 10:53:28 pm
When I was young, delivering newspapers or milk was the goto earner. Some local kids I know today are making more money than I ever did unveiling Pokemon merchandise on Youtube.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #44 on: May 31, 2022, 06:47:12 am
We have a shortage of motorcycle riding coaches here.  The demands of students for classes is huge, we can't get enough coaches to work!

Cookie
In my teens nobody needed coaches. What next, bicycle classes?
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...