Author Topic: ABS Removal  (Read 12610 times)

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 09:37:08 pm
You might fool MOT by installing a little device that switches the ABS light. Thats an excellent reason for the insurance not to pay after an accident. Because it was not negligent, but an intentional fraud.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 09:47:35 pm
You might fool MOT by installing a little device that switches the ABS light. Thats an excellent reason for the insurance not to pay after an accident. Because it was not negligent, but an intentional fraud.
No need.
Just remove the entire system including the light.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 10:02:23 pm
Yeah. And when you go to MOT use a candle.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 10:20:33 pm
Yeah. And when you go to MOT use a candle.
:) I think you've misunderstood. I meant the ABS light.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 04:23:06 am
Since we are apparently giving advice for the entire world, based only on our local laws, I can advise you from personal experience, that.

ABS braking isn't required on motorcycles, it's optional.
Motorcycles are NOT required to be inspected, not for safety, not for emissions, not at all, ever.

There's lots of info from folks who have removed ABS systems on various vehicles available on the internet.  In some cases, it's as simple as unplugging the controller.  Do a search starting with the words "removing ABS..".   Find info.   Even step by step U-tube videos, on removing ABS from a BWM motorcycle.

I've discarded about 25lbs of unwanted factory components from my daily driver, a 20+ year old Plymouth.  I'm a Mopar man now.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 07:30:27 am
Yeah, and in the 70s they removed front brakes and indicators. More weight to spare. Find Info. Good old days.
www.enfieldtech.de

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 09:26:01 am
Yeah, and in the 70s they removed front brakes and indicators. More weight to spare. Find Info. Good old days.
The OP's question was about removing ABS on a UK registered bike, not about your opinions (although everyone is entitled to an opinion), which I think that those who use this forum are fully aware of and to be honest are bored with.

My advice would be talk to your MOT tester to find out what there point of view is, that is if they actually care if ABS is fitted or not......
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 09:52:31 am
I would never buy a bike with ABS, but I have disabled it in my car. It was a simple matter of removing the fuse, blowing it, and putting it back. Yes the light comes on, which does nothing but make me feel good. And I have done plenty of parking lot braking to make sure the brakes work like they should. No inspections in my state (U.S.) but if you have to deal with that, just put a good fuse back in till after the inspection. And if I should be involved in an accident (which certainly won't be because I didn't brake properly, I hold both NHRA and SCCA competition licenses) they have no way of knowing the fuse didn't just blow. Fight government regulations "ANY WAY YOU CAN"
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 09:59:34 am
i think you mean: Fight physics "ANY WAY YOU CAN"
www.enfieldtech.de

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #24 on: April 03, 2021, 12:39:07 pm
Hot button subject for some, obviously!  ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 03, 2021, 02:18:44 pm
I would never buy a bike with ABS, but I have disabled it in my car. It was a simple matter of removing the fuse, blowing it, and putting it back. Yes the light comes on, which does nothing but make me feel good. And I have done plenty of parking lot braking to make sure the brakes work like they should. No inspections in my state (U.S.) but if you have to deal with that, just put a good fuse back in till after the inspection. And if I should be involved in an accident (which certainly won't be because I didn't brake properly, I hold both NHRA and SCCA competition licenses) they have no way of knowing the fuse didn't just blow. Fight government regulations "ANY WAY YOU CAN"

That is very creative.    ;D  Fortunately, my 2011 Bullet had its ABS removed at the factory and replaced with a braking system and Avon Slipmaster II tires that were designed not to lock up.    ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 12:33:47 pm
Many testers have rolling roads now, l assure you they do test the abs, you are not allowed to have it switched off, the problem you refer to was common on BMW.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 04, 2021, 12:46:14 pm
Well this is what the law says, ABS is now mandatory on all bikes manufactured after 2017 even on 50 cc, it is now a legal requirement to be fitted to all bikes, the ABS must not be turned off for mot testing purposes.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #28 on: April 04, 2021, 12:49:14 pm
Many testers have rolling roads now, l assure you they do test the abs, you are not allowed to have it switched off, the problem you refer to was common on BMW.
There is no test of the ABS system in the MOT, other than the light (if fitted) must not show any faults.

If there's no ABS fitted, how can they test it? Same applies to indicators, pillion pegs etc.

Go and read the guidelines on the gov.uk website.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #29 on: April 04, 2021, 12:52:02 pm
Sigh.

Lots of things are mandatory, yet routinely ignored on things like MOTs.

You're confusing the vehicle construction and resale regulations with whats actually enforced.

Have a look round any bike park and make a list of infringements you see.