Author Topic: Meteor EFI warning light  (Read 17769 times)

Weymouth John

• Scooter
on: November 28, 2021, 12:38:08 pm
Hi Y'all
Set off for a ride this morning only to find that the EFI warning light (orange) is permanently on. Bike runs normally but the only way to get rid of the light is to switch off the engine at the engine stop switch. Anyone got any ideas please.
Of course it's Sunday so no RE mechanics around in UK.
Cheers
John

xpop

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 01:08:41 pm
Hi Y'all
Set off for a ride this morning only to find that the EFI warning light (orange) is permanently on. Bike runs normally but the only way to get rid of the light is to switch off the engine at the engine stop switch. Anyone got any ideas please.
Of course it's Sunday so no RE mechanics around in UK.
Cheers
John
Maybe it's the engine temperature sensor problem that seems to be very common on the Meteor. It seems that RE will release an ECU update to correct it.

Weymouth John

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:38:33 am
Thanks XPOP....didn't know it was a common problem.....
John

GROMMIT141

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 11:39:13 am
I had the same problem, went to go for a ride on Meteor and found Engine MIL light continually on after start up, light stayed on during ride but  bike was going fine. Trip to R/E dealer the following day, put it on tester showed the fault as Undefined, they switched off light and so far all ok. Said if it happens again to bring it back for further investigations. I didn't know about the Engine Temp Sensor issue. Happened at 550 miles.

xpop

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 07:36:53 pm
The same for me. At around 600Km the red engine light started, diagnostic was a faulty temps sensor. I had the temp sensor replaced with a new one. 100Km after same issue, then the mechanic says to me that all his Meteor had this problem and RE was working to solve the problem. He told me that the ECU was programmed with expected values from the temperature sensor that were too narrow and that the smallest deviation outside the range caused the fault. He confirmed to me that this was not important and that I should wait for a feedback from RE about this.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:14:14 pm
The same for me. At around 600Km the red engine light started, diagnostic was a faulty temps sensor. I had the temp sensor replaced with a new one. 100Km after same issue, then the mechanic says to me that all his Meteor had this problem and RE was working to solve the problem. He told me that the ECU was programmed with expected values from the temperature sensor that were too narrow and that the smallest deviation outside the range caused the fault. He confirmed to me that this was not important and that I should wait for a feedback from RE about this.

Useful information for all. Thank you!
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

LanesExplorerUK

• Scooter
  • Burgandy Stellar
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 09:26:17 pm
Yes, thank you for all that info. Thank you for sharing it with us.

GROMMIT141

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 06:30:00 pm
Anyone having problems with Engine/MIL light on this is how to fix it, seen on You Tube, I tried it and it worked saved another trip to dealer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XtaC12PGoo

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 08:35:40 pm
Anyone having problems with Engine/MIL light on this is how to fix it, seen on You Tube, I tried it and it worked saved another trip to dealer

Most excellent!  Thanks!
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 02:50:32 am

Thank you for this! ;D

Paul-g

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 04:46:06 pm
Just to add to the thread as my Meteor Stellar had now run for about 650 miles and the EMS light came on yesterday. My local friend has the eBay EMS diagnostic tool which we used today and it showed an oil temperature error code which we cleared.
It cannot be an actual high temperature issue as I had only just started the bike when the light came on.
It seems the RE have a problem which needs attention.

Weymouth John

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 09:47:57 am
I've bought an OBD scannner specific for the Meteor (£35 on ebay) which plugs in to diagnose and it seems the warning we're getting is P0196 which is a low oil temperature warning. It "erases" quite easily and the light goes out and stays out......'til next time! The bike's performance at 1000 miles is unchanged if you have the warning light on.

LanesExplorerUK

• Scooter
  • Burgandy Stellar
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 03:13:01 pm
Had to look up what an 'OBD' scanner is - bit of a steep learning curve here.
Just completed 500 miles and yes, my orange light came on as soon as I turned the key. Did the YouTube delete procedure and it worked fine. For the moment...

YOUR NAME HERE

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 11:54:21 am
Had to look up what an 'OBD' scanner is - bit of a steep learning curve here.
Just completed 500 miles and yes, my orange light came on as soon as I turned the key. Did the YouTube delete procedure and it worked fine. For the moment...

Same. Except mine came on at about 460 and the guys at the Enfield shop had “no idea” how to reset the light during the first service. Found a number of YT videos & it worked first try. Shame I can’t pay myself a steep labor charge for that...

LanesExplorerUK

• Scooter
  • Burgandy Stellar
Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 02:12:31 pm
Treat yourself 😊.
Just ordered an OBD wotsit from ebay so there's a challenge for me over the festive period...

GROMMIT141

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 08:43:19 am
Good luck using your new OBD wotsit. I have tried 3 different OBD2 scanners on my Meteor, none of them will connect into the ECU, just get a report on screen asking  are you sure your vehicle is OBD2.  Anyone else had this problem/ any suggestions how to make it connect.

michiel

• Bulleteer
  • Meteor 2021, Germany, Hamburg

LanesExplorerUK

• Scooter
  • Burgandy Stellar
Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 04:06:52 pm
Unfortunately the Hitchcocks one is currently out of stock otherwise that would have been my first choice. Mine is supposed to be specifically for the Meteor according to the seller on eBay. He's based in Colchester UK. I'll let you know if it works once I've got the hang of it! This may take some little time...

michiel

• Bulleteer
  • Meteor 2021, Germany, Hamburg

GROMMIT141

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 07:37:44 pm
The second one I tried was the Hitchcocks one, thought it was bound to work, but as previous would not connect, have now tried three different ones to no avail.

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: December 16, 2021, 05:20:39 am
You have to go for sure, that it’s for Euro 5. Plug for Euro 4 versions is looking the same on first sight but it’s wired differently
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Chrome Red
BMW F800GS

markm228

• New RE & Meteor 350 Owner
  • Scooter
Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 01:53:15 am

Thank you! Though I haven't yet had the engine light come on, it's good to know what to do if I have this issue.
Previous Rides:
Motobecane Moped
Honda Expess II
Honda Express SR
1978 Yamaha XS400
1983 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2000 Kawasaki W650
1993 Honda Helix
2004 Honda Helix
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Current Rides:
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Weymouth John

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 04:28:50 pm
The ebay OBD for about £35 is specific for the Meteor and works fine. It cleared my orange light and another one locally. For the cost, it seems sensible to have one to hand. The light hasn't come on in the 120 miles since I erased it but the weather has been a bit warmer than the earlier ride which triggered it.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 06:12:12 pm
I got the same one for my interceptor and bullet have not needed to use it yet, but claims to erase codes and reset them.

SAM+TUCKER

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 01:20:03 am
Treat yourself 😊.
Just ordered an OBD wotsit from ebay so there's a challenge for me over the festive period...

Received the Ebay scanner for my USA Meteor 350 .   Unfortunately the connecting plug of the scanner will not fit on the USA model. Evidently Meteors sent to the US are not Euro 5 compliant.   The emissions sticker says it meet standards for USA and California.  Attempting to sent it back for refund but having complications as the address to return the scanner as it arrived did not have the UK Ebay seller address but a address in Edison NJ.  I shipped it to the requested address for returns listed But the Ebay seller in the UK does not seem to acknowledge that addess .  On going communication with seller.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #25 on: January 10, 2022, 11:24:38 am
Received the Ebay scanner for my USA Meteor 350 .   Unfortunately the connecting plug of the scanner will not fit on the USA model. Evidently Meteors sent to the US are not Euro 5 compliant.   The emissions sticker says it meet standards for USA and California.  Attempting to sent it back for refund but having complications as the address to return the scanner as it arrived did not have the UK Ebay seller address but a address in Edison NJ.  I shipped it to the requested address for returns listed But the Ebay seller in the UK does not seem to acknowledge that addess .  On going communication with seller.

I find a lot of things do not come from the address listed for the Seller on Ebay, e.g., bird seed. The brand of bird seed I order (40# bag) is listed by many different sellers from many different States, but it all comes from my local Walmart & usually shows up the very next day.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

MR.Germania

• Neophyte
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
Got same problem at km 640. Watched video, will try it out soon, thanks!

Ferdi

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650 Chrome/ Meteor Stellar Black
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 10:29:19 pm
Read in my Meteor group one Owner in Italy:

If it is of interest, I was able to connect an elm327 bluetooth scanner, one of those from a few euros, to the diagnostics. The adapter cable is the one for Honda from 6 to 16 pins with the red connector. It is found on Amazon around € 15 and on aliexpress around € 5. I tried the app Torque and Carista on the phone. They connect smoothly and do diagnostics. I don't know if error elimination works, because there weren't any, but I think it should be fine.
Emotions are difficult to describe, better "live them"