Author Topic: Bike in the shop  (Read 8232 times)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #30 on: July 10, 2020, 08:13:35 am
Down here in good old Oz, a valve job generally refers to having valve seats recut, valves reseated, valve guides etc.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 10, 2020, 08:15:26 am
English is my native language but I think I have a reasonable command of 'Murcan, see if my translations are correct.
Tappet : Valve lifter
Gudgeon pin :  Wrist pin
Circlip: Snap ring
Swarf: IDK. TOT and Blondiehacks call them "chips" so I'm going with that.
Tyres : Tires

How'd I do?

HaHa!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 10, 2020, 08:24:02 am
Swarf reminded me of the Swarp that I installed in the inlet track of my 1977 Yamaha SR500. It consisted of a ring of fixed vanes and was supposedly designed to cause the mixture to swirl and make for more complete combustion.  Kind of like the magnets that you put on your fuel line to straighten the fuel out so that it burns better.  ::)  Oddly it did work fairly well and gave the SR a little more torque in the mid-range, while reducing its power at higher revs. Probably no big surprise to most of you. I think the device was sold for about a year, including getting some rave reviews by the editors of magazines where they had taken out ads. Also, not likely too surprising, either.  ;)

Man, I had a really hot SR500 which is right up there with my favourite machines. A bloke by the n ame of Kym Peddaric here in Adelaide who knew these engines backwards turned mine into a monster. It was mighty, put out an estimated 45-50hp. Stuck it into a truck( not my fault) in '95. Broke my heart and quite a few of my bones.

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #33 on: July 10, 2020, 03:47:22 pm
Down here in good old Oz, a valve job generally refers to having valve seats recut, valves reseated, valve guides etc.

Yeah, I said that, then later on in the day (after coffee) realized I was wrong (same meaning here). "adjusting valve clearance" would be more accurate.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 08:50:19 pm

Same in the US of A.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:29 pm

Still having trouble with quotes, I see. When you quote someone, everything between the brackets gets included in the quote. Including anything you add. Make sure your cursor is after the bracket /quote close bracket, before you start typing. You can also delete as much of the quoted part as you like for clarity, but it is considered rude to change the quote to something else.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 10, 2020, 09:27:17 pm
does not sound wonderful.  Not pleased with my dealer either.  The US is basically a low skill country now bordering unskilled.  there are exceptions of course but they are not the norm.  I've lived here for my full 52 years.

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 12:52:03 am
How much did you pay for "dealer prep" ???

Cookie

$899 for dealer prep and freight. They would never break it down but I figure $350 to $400 for shipping but I cannot say for sure.
2020 Baker Express

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 12:56:38 am
Every time I see that phrase I think it says "dealer perp" as in criminal. These bikes are prepped in Texas so the dealer only has to put gas in. They charge you because it is a tradition. Loose connections should have been spotted before it left Texas. If a mechanic working on a bike with British heritage isn't familiar with "tappet" he should be bonked on the head with a huge spanner and sent down the road to work at a Harley shop.

The dealer has has a sales person who has a badge that claims he is the Royal Enfield expert.
I think he found the badge in a box of Fruit Loops. He was about as much an expert on Royal Enfield as I am on building a rocket to get to Mars.
Now I think about it I may actually be of an expert than I think compared to the bozo at the speakership.
2020 Baker Express

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 01:06:38 am
That seems to be the "going rate".....but...they obviously didn't do any "prep"..

So you need to yell and scream.....I don't' know what recourse you have...I would demand a refund of the prep...but that ain't gonna happen...but you can certainly bad mouth them on the Internet and social media....it will have an effect....you can write a review on the better business site..and on the dealer's web site. etc..

Maybe complain to some central Royal Enfield office somewhere?

Cookie

$899 for dealer prep and freight. They would never break it down but I figure $350 to $400 for shipping but I cannot say for sure.

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 01:10:54 am
That seems to be the "going rate".....but...they obviously didn't do any "prep"..

So you need to yell and scream.....I don't' know what recourse you have...I would demand a refund of the prep...but that ain't gonna happen...but you can certainly bad mouth them on the Internet and social media....it will have an effect....you can write a review on the better business site..and on the dealer's web site. etc..

I am getting my tank filled - oh I used a gallon of gas (petrol for non-US folks) and two RE t-shirts. Other than that they just apologize profusely.  >:(

Cookie
2020 Baker Express

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #41 on: July 11, 2020, 01:59:57 am

First used [in English] in 1790. 'Spanner' came into use in the 1630s, referring to the tool for winding the spring of a wheel-lock firearm. From German Spanner (n.), from spannen (v.) ("to join, fasten, extend, connect"), from Proto-Germanic *spannan, from PIE root *(s)pen- ("to draw, stretch, spin").

Here's a wheel lock pistol with its "Spanner" or wind-up key attached by a halyard to the trigger guard.

Wind up pistols! Whatever will they come up with next?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 02:46:14 am

Cookie
Internet / social media? Complain to HQ? Do you want your money back or just blow off some steam...
If you have a case, take them to small claims court.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Sharkguy

• Scooter
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 02:46:59 am
Sorry to hear, I hope they did a good job. That's the dealership where I looked at the interceptor back in January. I stood around for about 10 minutes looking at and sitting on bikes. No one ever approached me or asked if they could help me. I walked. Not much on dealerships, unfortunately there are few used interceptors for sale.

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #44 on: July 11, 2020, 03:03:59 pm
Cookie, I am too old to start yelling and screaming. I will get all stressed and die of a heart attack ;D.
I am off in about 10 minutes to pick up my bike. We shall see if they have fixed it. I am hopeful and trying to be positive, in my head at least.
2020 Baker Express