Author Topic: Suspension is crap  (Read 53021 times)

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #90 on: July 03, 2020, 03:22:27 am
Whereabouts in SA are you Simon? I’m from Woodville .
I'm in Woodville Gardens. You're not interested is slumming with a Himalayan are you?
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #91 on: July 03, 2020, 08:16:09 am
I live closer to Pennington!Work at Findon!
If you see a hot looking Black Beauty GT 650 riding down Woodville road around 2.45 during the week that’d be me😁. What colour is your single?
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: July 03, 2020, 08:31:12 am
I bought mine in November’19 and my rear shocks have the rubber bump stops

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #93 on: July 03, 2020, 10:08:53 am
I live closer to Pennington!Work at Findon!
If you see a hot looking Black Beauty GT 650 riding down Woodville road around 2.45 during the week that’d be me😁. What colour is your single?

Mine's red with the old style font on the tank. Bought new in '14. One of the first ones sold in AU. I haven't seen yours about but they do look good in black. I'll keep an eye out. Or, catch up for a ride some time on a weekend.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:03 am
That’d be nice. Once we have reliable weekend weather I’d be up for that. I had the hots something wicked for the single. I reckon I saw yours parked one day on the footpath on Woodville road outside that deli a couple of years ago. Had a mate in the car that I’d told about them and we actually stopped and got out to have a squiz!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: July 03, 2020, 11:22:03 am
Hey Oldphart! No slumming there! I like those Himalayans👍 Same goes, nicer weather, a little ride, yak and maybe a beer😁

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #96 on: July 03, 2020, 12:21:58 pm
That’d be nice. Once we have reliable weekend weather I’d be up for that. I had the hots something wicked for the single. I reckon I saw yours parked one day on the footpath on Woodville road outside that deli a couple of years ago. Had a mate in the car that I’d told about them and we actually stopped and got out to have a squiz!

That'd be me, parked on the footpath out front of the chip shop on my way to work!! ;D
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: July 04, 2020, 12:29:56 am
That'd be me, parked on the footpath out front of the chip shop on my way to work!! ;D
Ah, chips! The breakfast of champions 😃

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: July 10, 2020, 01:44:25 pm
Just saw my first RE650 "in the wild" at bike nite last night.

It was a black...with lots of accessories, side cases etc. (weight) , and a 250 lb rider!

He put extra pressure in the tires....rear shocks to the most pre-load setting...

He says the forks bottom out regularly...looking to get some adjustable pre-load set up....

I sat on the bike and pushed down the front end and let go...I got three rebounds....exactly like my bike!

Should go down..rebound up...and stay....

He also complained about the front tire "kicking out" in a turn...I get this from time to time.  Tire is not staying on the ground!

So I don't think the front end being crap is just my bike...2 for 2 so far!

My bike is now in pieces in the garage....fork legs are in the suspension shop...fully adjustable cartridges going in probably this coming week, or next...

Cookie

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #99 on: July 10, 2020, 02:17:10 pm
Wow, if it's bouncing up and down 3 times no wonder the front feels a bit sketchy. I don't remember, did you change the fork oil before you started modifying suspension? It's a thing in RE lyfe that more then a few bikes of all breeds have had too little fork oil from new. The oil that comes out looks like someone puked in there and smells like it, too.

I've mentioned before about my mate, who is a very average and conservative rider,  rejected the CGT he test rode and bought the INT because he hated the bouncy forks on the GT. They get the same forks though. I think it might be blind luck if you get one that was filled properly or not. His INT handles fine.

Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: July 10, 2020, 06:11:22 pm
If I were "smart" I would have diagnosed the problem, and done some basic (cheap) checks and changes...Like fork oil ...or pre-load adjusters....

But since I'm not so smart...and have an "all or nothing" way of going about things...and motorcycles are my hobby...not just riding...but also messing with them in the shop...and learning about them....

I am going "all the way"...with K-Tech cartridges.....these are the best available IMHO....they are fully adjustable.  I trust the suspension guy will do a proper installation, use the correct oil, in the correct amount, and do a proper set-up for my weight and riding style.....

Yes, it is costing a small fortune....yes it is a "waste" of money and effort....yes there are easier and cheaper ways of probably getting the good, desired results....

So what?  I don't care.  I want to see what a fully modified, top notch suspension....parts and set up... will really do for the bike....

I consider this a wonderful bike in all other respects....At best it will continue to be wonderful and also ride like a dream...  At worse, I blew some money, and learned a few things .....

Cookie

Wow, if it's bouncing up and down 3 times no wonder the front feels a bit sketchy. I don't remember, did you change the fork oil before you started modifying suspension? It's a thing in RE lyfe that more then a few bikes of all breeds have had too little fork oil from new. The oil that comes out looks like someone puked in there and smells like it, too.

I've mentioned before about my mate, who is a very average and conservative rider,  rejected the CGT he test rode and bought the INT because he hated the bouncy forks on the GT. They get the same forks though. I think it might be blind luck if you get one that was filled properly or not. His INT handles fine.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: July 10, 2020, 10:07:42 pm
FYI

Follow -up progress report.

Tropical storm hitting New Jersey now...rain...no riding...nothing to do...watching YOUTUBE and sleeping on the couch!

Phone rings..It's the suspension shop...
"your forks are DONE!!!!!

Holy crap!   I just dropped them off Tuesday night...didn't expect them to even start on them until next week.

Run to bank to get the cash balance  (ouch!)

Picked up forks...they look great....

Assembled the bike...everything loosely at first to get all alignments correct...will go back and lock-tite...and apply correct torque.  Forks to set middle of the road pre-load and damping...OK to ride safely...full set up to come next week...

I asked about the OEM factory fork oil...they said it really stunk...smelled like shite!   I said was the level low?

They said they didn't actually measure...but that "a lot" of oil came out....

Make whatever out of that information!

Maybe rain stops tomorrow and test ride yippee!

Cookie

retro-rex

• Scooter
Reply #102 on: July 10, 2020, 10:48:48 pm
Supposed to be ok in the morning Cookie. rain in the afternoon. You should feel a difference even if they're not set up yet. I saw your fork legs (leg) in a vice at WCW when I was getting my tire mounted. Ron (guru) got pretty busy as I was leaving.

John

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: July 11, 2020, 01:01:23 am
Yeah...he mentioned that you were in there.  I told him it was a good thing he got your tire done before my forks!!

I just assembled the bike....in the garage....I roll forward and jamb on the front break...only one bounce now!!!

I gotta work at the motorcycle school tomorrow....was planning to ride the Cafe...but now the RE650 is roadworthy...

But I'm there until at least 5:00 or 6:00....don't like to get my bikes we if I don't have to...so maybe travel by car....but Sunday looks nice..teaching school again....

Can't wait to ride it....will get super set-up next week...so should be even better!

Cookie

Supposed to be ok in the morning Cookie. rain in the afternoon. You should feel a difference even if they're not set up yet. I saw your fork legs (leg) in a vice at WCW when I was getting my tire mounted. Ron (guru) got pretty busy as I was leaving.

John

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #104 on: July 11, 2020, 01:41:31 am
Good luck! Hope it's awesome!
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90