Author Topic: Clipons  (Read 3159 times)

peter d

• Scooter
on: November 23, 2019, 12:38:41 pm
Hi have purchase a continental gt and would like the bars to be a little further back.While looking at the clipons  they appear to be  mounted slightly forward of the fork tube and I was wondering if I swapped them from left to right they would then be be slightly further back . Has any one tried this or fitted different clipons that are a bit further back.

Thanks Peter D

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 02:16:04 pm
Several reasons it wouldn't work. Most notably is that you wouldn't be able to get the right control on because of the master cylinder hitting the clipon where the two allen screws are. They would be facing forward after you swapped them

There are protrusions that notch into the the upper triple to prevent clamp rotation

Pretty sure they would hit the tank after anyway
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 07:52:54 pm
Here is another idea. I have seen clip on adapters that clamp to the top of the fork tube. They form a perch for a standard tubular bar. Then you could fit any style of handlebar you like. For example, a clubman style might give you the sporty look but more comfort and it would be easy to return to stock.

peter d

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 01:20:42 pm
Thanks for the advice .

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 02:48:51 pm
I'm lucky to have my Buell for comparing ergonomics with other bikes! The buell is very comfortable with at least 40% less of my weight placed on the bars

If you look at the rider triangle geometry and the measurements on the GT compared to the Lighting, the only difference is that the Lightning pegs are 3-3.5" inches higher
Doesn't seem like much but makes a huge difference in comfort and your feeling of control, it eliminates that hyper flexing in your lower back that pitches your weight onto the bars. Buell was also a racer and knew exactly what the ergonomics should be. WTF were the Indians thinking anyway??
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 12:41:51 am
https://youtu.be/kO4AztiYIC0?t=895

This rider is a lot taller than me so I can't speak to what he's experiencing exactly, but he definitely feels something's amiss. He rides all sorts of bikes for a living and he's generally not one with frivolous complaints. Even as tall as he is, his knees are still low on the tank.

I'm actually kinda glad the GT peg placement is so wrong for me because I have the opportunity to make it perfect, and I have the example to follow. It not as easy as it would first seem to accurately analyze less than ideal motorcycle ergonomics!

Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 08:55:14 pm
You can slide them down and pull them forward as much as you like
Isle of rĂ¼gen, germany .
Wachau austria

peter d

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 04:51:33 pm
Thanks for your thoughts . Im 5ft 10 and when I tilt my head back to look at the road say 50 meters or more  in front of me my neck pinches a nerve  .If the bars were back about an inch my neck would be in a more natural position  and I would still be able to look in the distance . I have just bought a new helmet an the situation is much improved but I think it would be even better with the bars moved back a little .

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 10:53:27 pm
I looked at a GT and bought an interceptor for the same reason. The most refined option is to get an interceptor front top yoke and fit street bars to it. I went to other way and put peg re locators on it with lower street bars. After I stripped off the excess and fitted a single touring seat and cowl, it now looks like a continental with high bars and centre stand.

Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 08:22:09 pm
I looked at a GT and bought an interceptor for the same reason. The most refined option is to get an interceptor front top yoke and fit street bars to it. I went to other way and put peg re locators on it with lower street bars. After I stripped off the excess and fitted a single touring seat and cowl, it now looks like a continental with high bars and centre stand.

That sounds interesting. I would like to see what it looks like.
Can you post a few pics?
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 10:51:27 pm
Here is the photo you asked for
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.