Author Topic: Why does my bike keep breaking?  (Read 25682 times)

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 08:20:57 pm
Sorry for the late reply guys, got held up in a job search, adulting is hard :(  Ok I bought the cheapo boroscope of Walmart and it worked surprisingly well. I made a short video and everything looks clean, so the next step is the valve covers?

https://imgur.com/gallery/CtxXjMc

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 11:04:15 pm
That is very good video, I will have to purchase a borescope.  There is no impact to the piston so the valves are not blocking the piston movement. Unless the rockers have jammed, the valve train can be ruled out I think.  Tappets jammed the cams....? Can you open the quill bolt and stick the scope into the timing cover?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:09:43 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 02:23:22 pm
I would say that the next logical step is to remove the rocker covers and see if all is correct in there.
The pushrods can jump off(common), or rockers can seize(not common),
Home of the Fireball 535 !

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 08:02:27 pm
Ok will do both, Q on the rocker cover, can I reuse the gasket here? Also what is the tightening torque on the rocker cover bolts?

Thanks!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 11:06:27 pm
If the gasket is not damaged I would re-use it with a smear of grease. Don't bother with a torque wrench, just nip the nuts up tight with a normal hand wrench.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 03:14:17 am
The rockers and lifters look ok, here's a video I made. I put the bike in 4'th gear and kicked it and the bike lunges forward. thats how I shot this video. The kick starter won't travel beyond 3/4 of the total rotation.  Also still solidly stuck in neutral.

https://imgur.com/a/z6SttUx

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 12:38:51 pm
The rockers and lifters look ok, here's a video I made. I put the bike in 4'th gear and kicked it and the bike lunges forward. thats how I shot this video. The kick starter won't travel beyond 3/4 of the total rotation.  Also still solidly stuck in neutral.

https://imgur.com/a/z6SttUx

If it's stuck in neutral, how could it lunge forward?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 04:51:18 pm
Sorry, I wasn't too clear, when th bike is in neutral, the kick starter won't budge unless I hold the clutch in. Now when I put the bike in 4'th gear then I am able to kick the kicker between 1/2 and 3/4'ths of the way. When I kick the kicker in 4'th gear, the bike moves forward and activates the valves as shown in the video.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 05:36:16 pm
When the bike is on center stand and in neutral, can you grab the rear wheel and rotate it at all?
I am wondering if the problem is in the transmission.  This is a 4 speed gearbox?
The link below shows the path of the power through the gearbox. 
http://www.midlandbullets.co.uk/gearbox/gearbox.html
If the kick start turns when the clutch engaged, I believe that would rule out problems with gears 16 and 19.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:16:44 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 06:03:30 pm
Yes I can move the rear wheel, in-fact I moved it out of the garage to get better light to shoot the last video.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 06:36:10 pm
If kick won't budge when in neutral, by looking at the diagram, possibly a broken tooth on 15. 13, 11, 20, 23.

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 07:36:24 pm
Ohh boy, is the only way to verify this is to remove the gear box? How big a work would this be? I recently (within the last 2 years) converted to RH shift. Yes it is a 4-speed gearbox. What would cause something like this to break?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:50:12 pm by blasphemous »

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 05:54:48 pm
Maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves.  I think you need to isolate the components one by one.  Ace suggested the rockers, but they seem ok.  So the next in the path would be the push rods, cam gears. But since you have found that there is a difference in movement dependent upon which gear it is in, that leads me to believe it could be in the gearbox.  To isolate the gearbox from the cam/pushrod/ crank assembly, you could remove the clutch/primary chain.  That job would take about 2hrs if you haven't done it before.
If still no movement with primary chain removed, that would direct you to the timing chest, I think.
If , on the other hand, you get movement of the piston with primary chain removed, that would direct you to the gearbox (broken tooth perhaps).  Getting inside the gearbox would take about one hour.

So, I think your dilemma is to either:
1) remove the primary chain to determine if the problem is in the gearbox or in cam/pushrod/ crank assembly .
2)Take a chance and open the gearbox looking for broken teeth.

Now that is just my opinion, and remember, I am no mechanic. So, it is up to you to roll the dice.  What do others in the group think the next step should be?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:57:28 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 05:09:11 am
I would like to see some verification that the engine turns. If you remove the spark plug, you should be able to move the engine with the kicker relatively easily without holding the clutch in. That would ease my mind that the engine isn't locked up.

You can watch the rockers operate when you push on the kicker.

If you verify engine turning, then you can investigate if the gearbox is stuck in a gear or something. You need to verify that you can get neutral.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 06:02:32 pm
I was looking at Ace's comment and thinking what method could be used to determine if stoppage is in engine or crank.  It occurred to me that since the primary chain case is open, you could put a wrench on the rotor nut, then attempt to rotate the crank counterclockwise.  Observe how the slack is taken out of the chain.  That is, if the crank moves and slack is taken up on the top of the chain run before the stoppage, that would suggest the blockage is in gearbox.

Conversely, if you then attempt to rotate the clutch assembly clockwise, and the slack is taken by the clutch assembly rotation before the  stoppage, that would suggest the blockage is in the engine components.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:28:55 pm by mrunderhill1975a »