Author Topic: snow hack pics  (Read 4773 times)

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:59 pm
We had some snow early this AM, well, to some of y'all, it would be just a little dusting, and that's really all it was, maybe 3 inches. Giles county Tennessee, just a little ways North of here got 7 inches, so I'm glad I didn't get that.

Anyway, when I went out for my run this morning, I took a few shots of my house while the snow was falling, then later I went for a little "snow ride" on the Royal Enfield and sidecar.

It was fun, and it wasn't that cold, it was 30 during the snow, and about 40 when I went out on the bike, and since the sun had come out, it was melting fast. Most of it's gone now, and it's close to 50 degrees; I believe I'm going for another ride when I finish this.

It was fun being able to get about in the slush and snow, and even though a hack rig can lose control and slide just like a car, one thing that WON'T happen is having it slide out from under me. Maybe Ural is onto something, as a couple of their models have selectable two wheel drive, with a drive axle running from the differential to the hack wheel, that's engaged with a foot lever.

Anyway, here are a few:

my house with snow falling

the next four are of areas close to where I live:

The Royal Enfield in my front yard

Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:56 am
Cool report and photos, Brother Royal.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:38:24 am
yeah, this is why i want to get a sidecar once i get my G5. it gets snowy up here in Minnesota, as i'm sure Kevin can attest to.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:56:50 pm
Yep, all you'd need is a studded tire, or some chains, and you'd be good to go.  It was a lot of fun, but next time I'll wear my heated jacket.  Of course, to you guys in Mn., 40 is kinda like Spring, right?
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:10:19 am
Roll Tide: Nice pics, but 6-10" at a time is normal for us Tundra lovers  :D

We did get up to 40 today, w/a real thick fog tonight. Expecting rain tomorrow. Maybe this will get rid of some of the salt  :P  Maybe some snow later in the wk. Spring is close - In fact we change our time this Sunday  ::)

Todd
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:25:09 pm
wash off all the salt!!!!!!!
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:02:20 am
wash off all the salt!!!!!!!

That's good advice, but "down south" in Alabama, that's one reason that a little snow simply paralyzes everything; there's no snow plows or salt, about all we get is some fine gravel or dirt scattered about.

Just riding in the slush washes away the mud !!!
Dave

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:29:31 pm
So, has anyone had a R.E. out in the "real" snow??
A few guys @ me have 2 wheel Urals, (I sold my 2 wheel Dnepr to buy this set up, (just can't live without a R.E.), last summer). Just got the side car, so unless it's a freak snow storm, I'll have to wait til next year).
I have a set of knobbies, (they kinda look D.O.T. approved)! on it now.
Some Ural rig riders told me that they are so heavy, (I can attest to that my Dnepr should have been V-8 powered), that they didn't need 2 wheel drive.
Now, I'm not talking off road, just commute on back road snows.
Thanks
Joe
Jeep? I don't need no stinkin' Jeep, I got a rig! ;)