Author Topic: Better sidecar pictures  (Read 5417 times)

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
on: January 28, 2009, 02:06:32 am
These are better pics of my Rocket.  Still not framed with a background that i prefer, but easier to see than the first ones.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:10:51 am by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:09:18 am
Yepper, Alaroyal, much better to appreciate a very cool rig with!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:29:02 am
Cool.  Did you set it up?  Looks like hefty struts there- hope you really put your weight into those clamp nuts.  Are you still running in the bike?
If not- what's a good cruising speed.  How's it handle?  Low-speed wobbles fr4eaking you out?
Ride report is in order, I believe?
Run what ya brung

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:33:41 am
I was able to put about 1200 miles on the bike before the hack went on, which was a good thing, because it's feeling a lot better than when it was new.  I wouldn't have wanted to try to break it in with the sidecar, cause you have to get after it somewhat to "get on down the road", especially with a passenger.

The dealer set it up, and it went pretty well. Everything is tighter than Dick's hat band, and I'm gonna keep an eye on all that.  I was pleasantly surprised at the way it handles! :)  The dealer rode it a little, I rode it a little, then they adjusted the hacks tire placement on the rim, it had kinda a flat spot from being shipped, that caused a little bump at slow speeds.

It blew a fuse while I was taking it home the first day; I found the spare and got it running and back to the dealer. The problem was due to bad (corroded) sockets in the brake and turn lights. They were replaced with automotive units and that fixed that.  Also, a ground strap had to be run from car to bike, and a heavier duty flasher was added cause the lights flashed too fast and dim, but now that all that's worked out, which the dealer took care of, everything seems to be OK. I'm just waiting on the convertible soft top, which is coming separately, to finish things up.

When you put on the brakes, you can feel a little reaction as the car tries to keep going for a beat, it tries to steer the rig to the left, and the reverse happens when you accelerate, the car tries to lag behind the bike, especially with passenger, but none of that has been any concern, a few times and you adjust to that pretty quickly.

It takes a fair amount of effort to steer around corners, but that could be because I had a little "trigger finger" surgery 5 days ago, and my right hand is a little tender, so I've been using my left arm to do most of the pulling and pushing, and that will probably feel better as I am able to equalize the pressure.

Changing lanes is a breeze, kinda like on a bike, just a little pressure on the grips and that's all it takes, I was pleasantly surprised by that.  And yes, especially empty, the car will "fly" in a right hand turn.  I'm being careful about that, cause the two edged sword is that the way you learn a skill is study and practice, but practice can result in a crash. But I'm learning, and all in all it's been a good experience.

I do wish it had a little more oomph, and I may have to do a "stage one", exhaust, carb and intake, maybe the kit that CMW sells would work. I have a one tooth smaller final drive sprocket that I may put on, but I would rather have the lower RPM cruising if I can, and if a performance mod will do it, I'll keep the stock gearing. Another 3 or so horses and foot lbs. might be a noticeable difference.  It doesn't have any trouble pulling away from a stop, just a tad weak in upper gear "speed maintenance" power.

I have had the rig, without passenger, up to 75 indicated, which is optimistic I'm sure, maybe that's about 70?, actual, but with the better half onboard, somewhere around 60. on easy terrain, indicated, seems to be a reasonable cruise.  Anywhere between 50 and 60 is OK, but if its in 5th at 50, that's really too slow for the power, so 60 does better.

Actually, 65 is probably better as far as being in a power band, but I can live fine with 60 - 62, the engine doesn't seem to mind, I just need to accept that hills will require a downshift.  What I'm saying, I guess, is that with passenger, on easy terrain, somewhere in a 58 to 65 range seems to work pretty well.

The ride is comfortable, and the wife says it rides very good, plus she likes being able to stretch out her legs, (she's had a knee replacement); all in all its been an enjoyable experience.

I put on the combo chrome s'bag support / rear rack last night, and moved the saddlebags.  I want some bigger bags, plus the mount I did on my current bags doesn't look too hot, but I can fix that if I don't get new bags soon.  I will say that the rack/support was a pain in the rear to put on, it's not a very well engineered or constructed item, I'm not sure which, and  it contacts the turn indicators, so I did a little padding, and may do a little relocate.  Now that it on, its fine, but taking the seat off will always be a little extra challenge, and I may go ahead and get some longer bolts for the four that go into the seat, although my plans for a solo seat will make that unnecessary.

I lost the riders right footpeg due to the install kit; one of the brackets bolts to the footpeg mount; it's no big problem, the bar works just fine for a peg, but I need to devise a little shield to keep from melting the sole of my shoe on the exhaust pipe. I get it against that if I'm not careful.  The coupling to the frame makes for a nice "highway peg" location for my right foot, and its comfortable sitting that way.

I guess that's about it for now, but I'll put up changes as they come about, and more thoughts about riding as I progress on this journey.  The wife and I have already discussed putting a Hannigan sidecar on the Gold Wing !  Now that would be an exciting ride, I'm sure!

One final thing, I noticed that backing and pushing the rig is very easy - when you don't have to worry about holding it up, it rolls real easy!  Just be careful parking, cause without a stand, it WILL roll if its not on the level.  :)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:47:29 am by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:09:02 am
Alaroyal, outstanding report and fun read... enjoy the rig with the wife or by yourself... and next time tell us how you really feel about this chair... don't be so shy, Brother!

Papa Juan

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:41 pm
Alaroyal: Thanks for the detailed report & pics. Very much appreciated. I run a 05' Classic (Green) w/the Bullet. Your experience parallels mine almost word for word.

Make sure you take plenty of pics of the soft top rig when you get her on!!  ;) I've been giving that some thought up here in NW WI.

BTW, which part of AL are you in. Spent 3 yrs in Montgomery some time bk. I forget the name, but there's a great hot dog place just down from the capital. Just thinking that the 1st time I had "balled" peanuts was in south AL.  :D

Roll Tide '85
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:56:35 pm
VMAX;

I'm in Athens, North Alabama, about 14 miles south of the Ala - Tennessee line.  I'm a Birmingham native, but been hanging around here for quite awhile, worked here part time and moved here after retiring from my primary job with Fire Dept., and going to work here full time teaching.

I only have a basic familiarity with Montgomery, don't know the dog place you mention.  Were you at Maxwell AFB while in Montgomery?   What about the peanuts, were they good - my wife is an Ohio native , and won't touch 'em.  Silly girl, oh well, leaves more for me, I guess.

Roll Tide, my original start date, Fall '66, got MA degree in May, '81.  (Better late than never.)
Dave

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:10:15 pm
Alaroyal, you might have missed the posting (below) by BigDon.  If this was the case and since you live in NE AL, you might wish to consider the trip Don is planning for Saturday, February 21.  Hopefully, you can join him, Laurence, Kruiser and old Cabo on that day.  The details are:

"I saw a link to a motorcycle collection in a British bike magazine.

I have contacted one of the owners and have got permission for a group  to go visit the collection. http://www.vintagememoriesinc.com/home.html

This will be on Saturday February 21st. The collection is located in Homer, GA, between Commerce and Cornelia.

The visit has to be done before 1 on the Saturday afternoon and a cash donation is expected which is donated to local charities.

The plan is to leave from Cumming to ride to view the collection.

I posted the above on one of my other forums. We speaking with Cabo Cruz today he suggested I post here also. I realize we are geographically diverse but if you are in the area you are welcome to join us.

If not save the link in case you are ever down this way."  BigDon

Think about it, Boss!   :)

Papa Juan

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:47 pm
FWIW- having lived in San Francisco for 25 years, I learned to park everything in 1st gear.  For extra steep grades, I carry a wood chock for the sidecar rig.
Run what ya brung

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:47:13 pm
Alaroyal, I forgot to add that BigDon started his post under Trips/Rides Section under the following subject:

Re: A special motorcycle collection visit. Saturday Feb 21st. NE Georgia

Papa Juan

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 12:22:57 am
Alaroyal, I forgot to add that BigDon started his post under Trips/Rides Section under the following subject:

Re: A special motorcycle collection visit. Saturday Feb 21st. NE Georgia

I did notice that, and I'm glad you mentioned the post's location, cause I was looking for it.  I'm gonna see how far it is to Homer, I think it's not too far, and I am seriously considering going.  I checked the museum's website, and they really have a sweet collection.

Thanks again for thinking about me, and I'm hoping I can get there.

Dave

PS, Uncle Ernie, I'm gonna carry a little chock with me too, I was thinking about that today  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:24:42 am by Alaroyal »
Dave

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 01:45:22 am
HELLUVA GOOD deal, Dave!!!

Papa Juan

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 01:17:50 am
Alaroyal:

Completed my MA in '85, while assigned to Maxwell AFB. My better half won't touch the peanuts either. Like you said, "...more for me." Thanks for the come bk & the pics.

Rool Tide

Todd
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry