Author Topic: Continental.GT 535 converting to Mikuni Carburetor  (Read 20602 times)

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 10:11:46 pm
With 3 fuel pump failures  I'd bet there's nothing wrong with any of them. More likely to be a faulty  relay or wire .
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Bess_GT

• Scooter
  • As above, so below...As within, so without...
Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 02:53:46 pm
Hi Jako,
Nope, the first pump motor rotorgot stuck due to years old fuel clogged the motor, and after opening the motor and cleaning and sealing the pressure got changed, but it worked but the acceleration was like riding a horse due to pressure/vaccuum prob after sealing. The 2nd motor was not for this model just got it second hand in black market.

I'm going for a ride tomorrow with the current carb setup.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: March 14, 2020, 01:20:33 pm
If you decide to refit EFI  a cheaper pump option and direct fit  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153747026576
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Bess_GT

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: March 14, 2020, 03:53:40 pm
Thanks Jako, i could'nt find this model pump delivery to my location. There are similar cheap ones like below
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B084BXYZSB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zPpBEbXGWY0NF
But not sure if anyone had tried and tested this on C.GT.

I took the motorcycle for a short ride today, and i'm happy with the current carb set up. Throttle response is good.  I understand that it is not at par with the recommended tuning and performance but i'm happy with current set up and i would like to continue with this as long as it goes.

One doubt: i'm afraid if the tyre will break as the motorcycle was in storage condition for 3-4 years. Is there any method i could check the tyre condition. No visible cracks or any similar marks outside.

jez

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: March 14, 2020, 05:22:24 pm
Well don't open the throttle all the way or you'll seize the engine.

Bess_GT

• Scooter
Reply #50 on: March 15, 2020, 02:19:57 pm
May i know how the engine seize with open throttle? Engine seize happens due to oil starvation right? How does the current set up affect oil circulation?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #51 on: March 15, 2020, 04:06:49 pm
Engines often seize from heat.
Piston overheats from lean mixture, expands further than normal, and contacts the cylinder wall, scrubbing off any remaining oil film, and then locking up tight.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bess_GT

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: March 15, 2020, 05:38:26 pm
Will checking the spark plug color help?
https://images.app.goo.gl/yFtVQJHjzfy8r6Ac9
At present the color of the plug is thick black as mentioned in the chart it comes in the oil fouled region. Is there any problem? Is it because oil is getting mixed with fuel..is this normal?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #53 on: March 17, 2020, 11:14:16 pm
If the sparkplug shows a "wet", black coating, it is probably oil.  If it is a "dry" powdery black coating it indicates a fuel/air mixture that is too rich (or the spark plug heat range is too cold for the style of riding you do).

Back in the days of the carburetor, a rich condition could be the result of a lot of different things ranging from a leaky float to a change in altitude or a dirty air filter.

With the fuel injected engines of today a rich fuel condition is most likely caused by a dirty or oil fouled air filter although a failed oil temperature sensor could also be at fault.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jez

• Scooter
Reply #54 on: March 20, 2020, 12:05:10 am
  Dorthy Parker's quip  "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" is apposite. As has been painstakingly explained to you, slide carbs have several fuel circuits controlled by jets and needles etc that each control to a varying degree a particular part of the throttle opening. Folks have helpfully pointed towards texts for your delectation and understanding  [which you haven't taken on board]. Thus your engine can be rich at idle, lean just as you open the throttle and rich and lean all the way to a fully open throttle, or any combination thereof. In your case, as has been carefully pointed out, your carb's main jet is far smaller than advised, not a bit smaller, much much smaller. Thus when you open the throttle fully [and before you misunderstand further this has little to do with engine revs]  you will have a very weak mixture that will  in a short time overheat the piston.
 Peering at the plug is not going to help as you neither understand the basics nor how to do plug chops. It would tell ace.cafe a lot, and me a bit, but not you.
 I'm not really sure why I'm bothering as it's akin to explaining what colour is to someone who only sees in monochrome. However, as you yourself have said, this thread might come in handy for someone with the wit to benefit.

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #55 on: March 20, 2020, 02:17:54 pm
After 4 pages of helpful info , you should fix the EFI ::)
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

Bess_GT

• Scooter
Reply #56 on: March 21, 2020, 07:01:58 am
Dear JVS, ace.cafe, gizzo, Adrian II, Richard 230, Jaiko and Arizoni...
Thank you all for the information you have shared on this thread to help me, I can assure you that it was not futile..because I'm riding my GT with carb(even though the tuning is not at par with recommended settings..and I will surely optimize this when time and money allows)..and i think its time this thread can be closed as it will deviate from the subject...i wish you guys were somewhere near me...
@jez thanks for that sarcastic last minute advices..i would like you to re-read this post...not mine..yours..the advice that was worth was the last post about the open throttle that too you were wrong at some point..because at idle the current setting is not rich..it should be a little lean..if you are continuing to use this forum i have an advice..please don't give such/any replies as it will make the spirit low of the newbie...because there will be few who come by this road on this era of electric motors...asking for carb function..pls don't make their morale low...
I'm sorry to end the post like this...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #57 on: March 21, 2020, 08:44:18 am
All the best,  @Bess_GT.

Good closing comments, BTW. It's easy to tear someone down without thinking about how it might affect that person.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:46:27 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #58 on: March 21, 2020, 05:30:30 pm
  Dorthy Parker's quip  "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" is apposite. It would tell ace.cafe a lot, and me a bit, but not you.
 I'm not really sure why I'm bothering as it's akin to explaining what colour is to someone who only sees in monochrome.
Seems a bit excessive.  You should consider yourself restricted to one wise crack, or one put-down per post.  Let's remember that by joining the forum, we've agreed that, "Our members ... are to be treated respectfully and with kindness. If you disagree with someone it must be done with the utmost discretion and respect."

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=12.0

From my limited experience here, it appears that indulging oneself in negative comments on other members, as you did, has led to several threads simply disappearing in the last month and a half, and that benefits nobody.

motopike

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: June 19, 2020, 11:18:25 pm
The other option here with the cylinder head plate is to place them both on the left side of the head mounting (sandwich the two plates together to maintain similar stifness), then theres no cutitng involved. This is what I did with my VM conversion