Author Topic: Vibration  (Read 1751 times)

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
on: November 28, 2020, 11:54:35 pm
Okay, I've got to ask this.
What vibration?
My 500 doesn't vibrate. Yeah, at tickover as it's a big single but, still - not much. Certainly not when I'm riding.
Yet I see lots of threads and responses about all this vibration.
Either
A] I don't think it's excessive
B] I got a magic, vibration free bike
C] People are too sensitive

It's not like I don't know both sides - my HD was atrocious at tickover, literally shaking my eyeballs at standstill - my GoldWing, which I rode for 3 miles with the dustcap sitting on the pillion seat.
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 12:38:21 am
The crankshafts are not all built the same from one bike to the next. The amount of vibration varies because some cranks are trued better than others by the factory.
Just because yours has low vibration is no indication about the others. You got lucky, others were not so lucky.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:54:45 am
I'm with Nitrowing here. Vibration is pretty subjective. We had customers in the olde days bang on about their Gold Wing's terrible vibration. After all us shop pups rode it, all we could do was look at each other & shrug. Big singles have never bothered me. My Pre-Unit Bullet has a happy spot, that's where I keep it. With 22 ravening BHP on tap you either go with the flow or break your bike out of stupidity, trying to make it do what it can't.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 01:10:45 am
My Pre-Unit Bullet has a happy spot, that's where I keep it. With 22 ravening BHP on tap you either go with the flow or break your bike out of stupidity, trying to make it do what it can't.
Well, I certainly don't rev the nuts off it - I've left it running rich at top end as it starts complaining - which discourages over-eager wrist action. The bike isn't built for it.
It's certainly not vibrating at any point in the rev range though.
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 01:52:55 am
Yeah. I'm perfectly OK with my Iron Belly's mild vibes too, such as they are are. Just lucky, I guess. If they're excessive I've heard that loosening and retightening the engine mount bolts whilst idling can often ameliorate "buzzy" ones.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:00:34 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 02:38:05 pm
I think Ace has the explanation. If you got one of the better ones, just carry on enjoying it.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 04:42:13 pm
      My '08 seems pretty much vibration-free, but I have no other one to compare it to. I only know that I don't detect anything worth comment. So much so that I've reconsidered paying double the cost (with shipping) for one of Hitchcock's really good looking SS, adjustable head steadys just for the looks.

I'll just paint this one black and put it back on.

(I know. I could have used steadies. Chose not to).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:44:59 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 12:07:42 pm
I love the vibration! I have many air cooled 500cc singles. Yes the are all different but very similar, love them all! The vibration makes me feel a very important part of the bike. No need for a tack here just shift up or down to the sound of the pipe and the vibes of the bike. This way it lets you keep your eyes and mind on the road and enjoy the beautiful scenery around you. If you want a smooth and a fast bike there are many other choices. If you want ride something with some soul it’s hard to beat the older UCE and down 500 RE singles. Just my $.02 cents.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 07:46:54 pm
I love the vibration! I have many air cooled 500cc singles. Yes the are all different but very similar, love them all! The vibration makes me feel a very important part of the bike. No need for a tack here just shift up or down to the sound of the pipe and the vibes of the bike. This way it lets you keep your eyes and mind on the road and enjoy the beautiful scenery around you. If you want a smooth and a fast bike there are many other choices. If you want ride something with some soul it’s hard to beat the older UCE and down 500 RE singles. Just my $.02 cents.
[/quote[/i][/b] I think part of the vibration is part of the big single experience l rode lots of British singles in the 70s they mostly vibrated broke mudguards and such like, of course cranks were always an issue, cranks knocking out is not a new phenomenon quite common in those days point of fact.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 09:31:18 am
[/quote[/i][/b] I think part of the vibration is part of the big single experience l rode lots of British singles in the 70s they mostly vibrated broke mudguards and such like, of course cranks were always an issue, cranks knocking out is not a new phenomenon quite common in those days point of fact.

I haven’t had a serious/catastrophic failure with any of my RE Bikes. All in all they have been a real joy to own and have been super reliable bikes. Yes, like with any single cylinder bike Loctite is your friend here.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue