Author Topic: good Himalayan BS4 reviews by Noraly ("Itchy Boots")  (Read 41544 times)

BikingTim

• Scooter
on: February 28, 2019, 09:44:48 pm
Noraly is a Dutch girl on her way around the world on her Himalayan BS4 which she purchased in Delhi.
She crossed northern India, Myanmar, Thailand, to Malaysia.  Now she's in Omar, awaiting her bike to
be flown from Kuala Lumpur to Muscat.  She did a 10Kkm video review in Malaysia and a 11Kkm video
review in Kuala Lumpur (getting a rear tire puncture in the meantime).  In short, she loves her bike
(which she named "Basanti") for its off-road capabilities, a little cool about its paved road capabilities.
She looks forward to the 650cc version of the Himalayan, like the rest of us.
Here are the two Youtube videos:
10K kilometers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsdKwqc1040&list=PL8M9dV_BySaVZQCu9Qj5J0Rhz3TnBphzc
11K kilometers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtmHoUrdXCg&list=PL8M9dV_BySaVZQCu9Qj5J0Rhz3TnBphzc&index=2

BikingTim

aari

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 10:28:17 am
Cheack this out she reviewed PowerTRONIC ecu on himalayan aswell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHQBxG-9V00

twowheeladdict

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 01:58:33 pm
I would definitely take her reviews with a grain of salt.  I am enjoying her videos, but her motorcycle expertise and experience is very limited.  She thought she broke her clutch cable twice and it turned out that adding the risers stressed her clutch cable and caused her to burn out the clutch plates. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHn7oeOoGKc&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghP-3_7Tg8A

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 05:17:59 pm
I think that young lady is he best  advertisment ever for the durability of the Himalayan . What she may be lacking in mechanical knowledge  she makes up in guts and determination.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:08 pm
I know I'm hooked on her adventure. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 12:37:14 pm
I know I'm hooked on her adventure. :)

So am I. I love this girl. I hope my twin granddaughters (17) have half the balls of this girl when they're in their twenties, thirties.

I think she has just ridden through and out of Uzbekistan (Ep. 68, Apr. 21). I'll go look for an Ep. 69 and later later today.

As some have said, she may not be a super bike mechanic or mechanical expert, but she sure gets some cred from me for just doing what she's doing as well as she's doing it. And she is just "up" all the time no matter what is thrown at her and that's very impressive nowadays when we seem more and more buried in young people who are just constantly whining about something and can't seem to get out of their own way.
'
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:57:40 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

bonkers

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:49:06 pm
+1, oh, and  she is very funny!  (which not every dutch female is I dare to say as a dutch male) ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:51:58 pm by bonkers »
Before;
Triumph T120- Norton Commando 5x
Triton T150V tripple- BMW R80
BMW R100RS- BMW R100S
BMW R80 G/S- BMW R80 GS
BMW R100 GS- BMW R80 GS Basic
BMW R100 CS- BMW R80 ST
BMW R NineT- Buell S2
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport- Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1 Ice Blue
Current;
Stealth Black C5 RE- BMW R100 Monolever 7 rock

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 03:46:27 am
ive actually watched her clips myself and I think she goes to outback places where I doubt some guys would take the risk and ride.
her risks regardless are far above that of a male rider. think about it!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 08:33:24 am
Speaking of male riders, I have this peculiar notion that it might be swell if she met, fell in love with and had lots of kids with Ed March of C90Adventures fame, and that they or their kids might be the ones who made interstellar contact instead of the old "Take us to your leader" playbook. Let's just say I'd be more optimistic of the outcome if they came across folks who knew how to get about cheerfully without busting shit up. First impressions matter, best foot forward, and all that.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 03:59:48 pm
kinda cool for a homo sapien regardless
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 08:44:42 am
I have been watching her Youtube videos, and she actually replied to a couple of my comments in person. I was impressed. She's an amazing rider. She's ridden places I wouldn't go.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 03:02:44 pm
  Well, here it s June and I have not managed to get on the Enfield at all yet and Noraly has got me jonesing like mad. I've followed her from the beginning and just watched 80, 81, 82 and 83 this AM and now it's 10 o'clock.

The way I am now I have to pick my day and it's been either the weather or not "feeling right" (physically or emotionally) or having something else to do on any particular day. It's a whole painful process just getting ready to go and if I have any one "other" thing to do it does away with that day for a ride. Just an hour of necessary yardwork blows me out for that day and it would be dangerous for me to even take the bike past the end of the driveway. And so far the weather here has also sucked in some way most days!

It pisses me off that the pain has finally won after 81 years of fighting it every day. I would last about a half hour doing what this amazing girl is doing. Like Doug I may have to just wrap it up soon.

Anyway. If Royal Enfield's PR people have not already contacted this girl they are idiots. They should be helping her and capitalizing her in some way or even hiring her. She is an amazing salesman for this bike. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 09:31:22 pm
I really think the world would benefit by nominating Noraly to be a world peace ambassador, what do you all think?
Roverman.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 10:19:11 pm
Well she certainly is a much better rider than I am and she speaks English very well and also seems to be able to communicate well enough in other languages. 

Plus, that poor Himalayan takes a beating and keeps on ticking.  I assume that we all are very impressed with its performance and durability in the rough, at high elevations and in the hot and cold weather that she has been experiencing while riding in the middle-east.

If only RE would have made that engine as a 650cc single.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 02:22:53 am
  Well, here it s June and I have not managed to get on the Enfield at all yet and Noraly has got me jonesing like mad. I've followed her from the beginning and just watched 80, 81, 82 and 83 this AM and now it's 10 o'clock.

The way I am now I have to pick my day and it's been either the weather or not "feeling right" (physically or emotionally) or having something else to do on any particular day. It's a whole painful process just getting ready to go and if I have any one "other" thing to do it does away with that day for a ride. Just an hour of necessary yardwork blows me out for that day and it would be dangerous for me to even take the bike past the end of the driveway. And so far the weather here has also sucked in some way most days!

It pisses me off that the pain has finally won after 81 years of fighting it every day. I would last about a half hour doing what this amazing girl is doing. Like Doug I may have to just wrap it up soon.

Anyway. If Royal Enfield's PR people have not already contacted this girl they are idiots. They should be helping her and capitalizing her in some way or even hiring her. She is an amazing salesman for this bike.

Hell Tooseevee, if you're still getting a leg over at 81 (insert sound of twittering Brits here), then you're more man than most. You got twenty years on me, and I'm not as spry as I once was. Add to that the level of difficulty of having to fire up a tweaked AVL with no decomp or electric leg on a cool Rhode Island morn, and my hat's off to you, man. Were I in your situation, before hanging up my spurs, I might be looking for means to maybe ameliorate the impact of those "olds". Just spitballing here, but have you got a nice jacuzzi or hot tub? Before I set out for "yonder" on my own Iron Belly, I sort of warm and limber it up around the block nice and easy. Why not treat your own body's lymphatic "lube system" and joints to the same warm up before a jaunt? Besides, a jacuzzi and a good book are among the sublime joys of life, if a taxi full of drunken Swedish stewardesses isn't handy. Treat yourself!

With your Enfield, that first cold start must be the biggest hurdle. So, if you'd really prefer to stick with your lovely AVL instead of some latter-day bike or even scooter with an electric start, how about getting one of those electric roller start doodads like I've seen in Jay Leno's Garage and other YouTube videos? There's no shortage of DIY versions shown out there, including one using what looks like a Harbor Freight angle grinder as its motive force, but here is a rather nice looking one from England shown actually starting a nice old Bullet. I reckon with a bit of rummaging through the Interwebs, a nice enough turnkey one might present itself for $500 or so, where you could just back the beast on, hit the footpedal, fire up, and off you'd go.

Remember: We're Riders of the Archaic. So go ahead and be archaic. You'll show those whippersnappers!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:28:18 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.