Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
350 J Platform / Re: Trade-in Values on 350 Meteors/Classics
« Last Post by wspollack on Today at 10:00:09 pm »
Understood, Kev. Good answers.

I might feel more like you do, regarding the oomph, but I have my 34 HP scooter for that, and that's most definitely my primary ride, i.e., the M350 is a fun backup. And no commuting for me, for a long time now.

So you make a good case. Ask your wife if she needs a new couch, dining room set, dishwasher, or something. And then remind her that you need a little more power, to be safer in traffic on the higher-speed parts of your commute.
350 J Platform / Re: Big Dang Bikes
« Last Post by longstrokeclassic on Today at 09:53:14 pm »
My last motorcycle purchase was an off roader, bought to cope our public roads,
I certainly have no intention of taking it off road, it’s far better to comfortable than contained.
Having twice as much suspension travel does have benefits. The last pothole I failed to negotiate on my ‘roadster’ (and the reason for getting my latest motorcycle) was that the pothole aggravated an existing spinal injury and left me unable to ride for almost two weeks. Deliberately hit the same pothole on the off roader and the suspension just shrugged it off. Sure it’s not the easiest of bikes to mount but once your up there it’s hello comfort city…
« Last Post by AzKev on Today at 09:46:12 pm »
Kev, it can't be very much.

RE of Albany (NY) is selling brand new M350 bumblebees like ours for $4,699. That's out the door -- NO shipping charge tacked on -- just a modest DMV fee that doesn't go to them, same with tax. If you're out of state, neither of those charges.

And if they have some '22 leftovers in stock, what do you figure? Another thousand below that?

Out of curiosity and to give you some possibly more meaningful data, I just went on CycleTrader, entered Royal Enfield Meteor 350, and then said to sort by lowest price. Here's the result:

https://www.cycletrader.com/Royal-Enfield-Meteor-350/motorcycles-for-sale?type=Motorcycle%7C356953&make=Royal%20Enfield%7C9301341&model=METEOR%7C764982995&trim=350%7C77345&buyOnline=true&sort=price%3Aasc

What you have are a couple of at c. $3,000, then $3,500, then $3,700 ...

And those are for NEW bikes! And it looks like there's no shipping charge, dealer prep, etc., on those lowest cost ones.

So, if you were in the market, would you pay that much for a used one, and with only some of the warranty remaining?

I think you would have to price it really low, almost to the point of might-as-well-keep-it-as-a-backup (or just not expect to get more than a couple thou).

I've sold two bikes privately over the years, but prefer to trade-in, if I'm really not keeping a bike as a backup. Here in NY, trading in a vehicle saves you some tax, as the you pay on the difference when getting a new vehicle. That makes up for a possibly higher sale amount you might get selling privately, plus you avoid the time, effort, possible scams, possible casing of your house, etc., associated with private sales.

What do you have in mind, if I may ask, what are you checking out, for a replacement to the bumblebee?

Thanks for the response, Bill.

They had a Royal Enfield demo event here about 2 weeks ago, and I tried out a Shotgun 650. I absolutely fell in LOVE with it. It seems to me like what I expected the Super Meteor to be - almost identical riding position, foot position, etc, but with a little more "oomph." When the actual Super Meteor came out, I was underwhelmed because it looked so much different, and had forward foot controls, which I don't care for. The Shotgun looks much more like my Meteor 350. I love my little Meteor, but it would be nice to have a little bit extra when cruising the freeways on my commute.

Like you, I've sold a number of bikes privately, and done the trade-in route too. Trading in is easier, for sure, so it's appealing. And I don't mind losing a little bit of money - I mean, that's expected. But I couldn't stomach losing a LOT of money. They don't have any Shotguns at any local dealers here in AZ at this point anyway, so the point is moot, for now. They are supposed to get some soon though, so I am trying to weigh my options now. I guess I will see what the dealer will offer when the time comes, and if it's way too low, just sell it on my own.

I also have the added fear of the wife being upset with me for trading so soon and possibly losing money on it. My wife is very frugal, which I love most of the time. But in situations like this...  :o
« Last Post by wspollack on Today at 09:33:16 pm »
So I've heard some scary stuff about trade-in values being horrible on Classics/Meteors and was wondering what folks here thought, or have experienced. One guy on FB told me I may as well just keep the bike instead of trading because I wouldn't get anything for it anyway. Now, I understand that trade-in is *always* going to be less than retail, what you could get selling to an individual. I was just curious if anyone has any firsthand information or experience they could share.

Thanks in advance!
Kev, it can't be very much.

RE of Albany (NY) is selling brand new M350 bumblebees like ours for $4,699. That's out the door -- NO shipping charge tacked on -- just a modest DMV fee that doesn't go to them, same with tax. If you're out of state, neither of those charges.

And if they have some '22 leftovers in stock, what do you figure? Another thousand below that?

Out of curiosity and to give you some possibly more meaningful data, I just went on CycleTrader, entered Royal Enfield Meteor 350, and then said to sort by lowest price. Here's the result:

https://www.cycletrader.com/Royal-Enfield-Meteor-350/motorcycles-for-sale?type=Motorcycle%7C356953&make=Royal%20Enfield%7C9301341&model=METEOR%7C764982995&trim=350%7C77345&buyOnline=true&sort=price%3Aasc

What you have are a couple of at c. $3,000, then $3,500, then $3,700 ...

And those are for NEW bikes! And it looks like there's no shipping charge, dealer prep, etc., on those lowest cost ones.

So, if you were in the market, would you pay that much for a used one, and with only some of the warranty remaining?

I think you would have to price it really low, almost to the point of might-as-well-keep-it-as-a-backup (or just not expect to get more than a couple thou).

I've sold two bikes privately over the years, but prefer to trade-in, if I'm really not keeping a bike as a backup. Here in NY, trading in a vehicle saves you some tax, as the you pay on the difference when getting a new vehicle. That makes up for a possibly higher sale amount you might get selling privately, plus you avoid the time, effort, possible scams, possible casing of your house, etc., associated with private sales.

What do you have in mind, if I may ask, what are you checking out, for a replacement to the bumblebee?
350 J Platform / Re: Big Dang Bikes
« Last Post by Dexter on Today at 09:29:39 pm »
Yeah, the adventure style bikes are all the rage now and too bad for those of short legged stature. How many of those ADV bikes ever go off road anyway? I bet very few.
350 J Platform / Big Dang Bikes
« Last Post by Siamese on Today at 09:26:01 pm »
Just got my Hunter out of winter storage, and am getting ready to do the spring maintenance.  Sitting on the bike, I was reminded how much I like the size of this bike. 

An general observation.  Bikes got big!  I remember when....the seventies.....when we scooted around on Honda CB350's, Yamaha DT360's, BSA 441's, Triumph 650's and so on.  And then bikes got bigger.  Ever swing your leg over a Honda Africa Twin?  It's like climbing on a camel.  Maybe that's why they call it Africa. 

I'm 5'11", so I should fit most bikes, but I sure liked 'em better before they got so darned tall and big. 

My Hunter reminds a lot of climbing on a BSA 441 but with refinement. 

Just sayin'. 
« Last Post by Dexter on Today at 09:25:17 pm »
You will ALWAYS do better selling it privately. Dealers will never give you anywhere near the retail price, as they have to re-sell it to make money.

Set a fair price based on what you find others selling them for on online websites, but determine what the least you will take for it is as well and price it a couple hundred more than that, so you have room to dicker with a buyer.
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Replacement Battery.
« Last Post by whippers on Today at 09:13:37 pm »
Just replaced mine on a 2019 because it was due.Better to be proactive and save wear and tear on the charging system.
Yep always best to replace on a schedule.  I had my car battery just suddenly die a couple of times when it’s inconvenient, same with my boat (but at least it can be started with the house batteries helping) so now just replace every 4 years.  If you don’t use your bike regularly for a longish trip to recharge the battery and don’t use a tender the battery won’t last as long.
« Last Post by AzKev on Today at 08:59:32 pm »
I was offered £1900 give or take a few £s by several dealers when I was considering changing my Meteor. It was mint, as new condition, dealer serviced and two years old. Basically 50% of what I paid for it.
I sold it privately for £2750.
Sad but true I'm afraid.

I'm in the UK remember, if that makes a difference.

Thanks Ivy. Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the way to go - to sell it privately. I've seen some folks here in the US mention similar experiences regarding dealer offers. Appreciate your response.
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Question about stock tires
« Last Post by ryguy76 on Today at 08:40:20 pm »
Thanks to all that responded.  I decided that upgrading the rubber was the right call and placed an order for the BT46’s.

Went with the same specs I posted above as I wanted a slightly wider tire than stock to hopefully reduce the lateral “shiftiness” I feel with longitudinal road imperfections.

Rear 140/70/18 (67H)
Front 110/80/18 (58V)

Will update this thread on my thoughts on the upgrade once they come in and I get them mounted.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10