Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Small screw, big problem
« Last Post by zimmemr on April 24, 2024, 04:13:37 pm »
Right, I'm just a wee bit ashamed of this, but I got the job done without cutting a new thread, or at least without using a tap in the proper manner.

I'd ordered some questionable-quality ss bolts from Amazon, which arrived before I had the opportunity to get a decent tap and die set. I was pleased to see that the bolt had a bigger hex than the original: this gave me way more turning force, and it drove home in one go with a little resistance, I suspect from residual thread lock. I back it out again and refitted it to make sure I wasn't storing up trouble for the future. Bingo!

So now I have (I hope) a working ABS system again, but have to wait to confirm that in an actual ride which isn't possible just now. I hope the result is positive, because if it isn't I won't know what I've done wrong, and my new-found Zen approach to motorcycle maintenance might be severely tested.

I'd just like to express my sincere thanks to everyone who generously contributed ideas, some with incredible detail. I'm been on quite a few motorbike forums, but this one is way out in front in terms of the superb quality of the advice freely given by members. Actually, I think that has to do with the nature of these bikes and the kind of people who appreciate them.

+1 Glad the outcome was positive. FWIW I think your sentiments are spot on.
Bullet Iron Barrel / Re: Black sparg plug, heavy oil use, new build up engine
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on April 24, 2024, 04:07:57 pm »
@ #37: +1  "Personally I've never know any petrol engine that didn't benefit from a good thrash every now and then."

Apparently the increased "WFO" cylinder pressures are necessary (applied in bursts, or course) to help the rings seat ("scrub in") properly.
411 & 450 Himalayan & Scram / Re: New 450 Himalayan or 411
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on April 24, 2024, 04:01:53 pm »
Hasn't anyone rehomed their 411/460 in an old YZ400 frame yet? Pare off some road hugging weight & add good travel?
Bullet Iron Barrel / Re: Black sparg plug, heavy oil use, new build up engine
« Last Post by Super45 on April 24, 2024, 03:10:09 pm »
my own bike wet sumped like a goodness knows what when I bought it, eventually stripped the top end, found 2nd hand piston had been used and rings set incorrectly with the gaps almost in line and valves loose in guides ( which were also  loose in the head) and a barrel that had never been honed at all or possibly from its external condition had never been run in correctly (6k miles on clock)  so it was pulling oil into the combustion chamber and smoking like something running on coal.

2nd hand good cylinder head fitted (with big valves fitted for good measure  ;D ), 
new high compression meteor minor piston with rings gapped correctly and set at 120 degree
The barrel was given a good hone.
2x new oil pumps with reduced spring rate springs and new oil pump drive shaft and worm nut.
Hitchcock's breather mod which returns excess oil to the oil tank and as an added extra  I fitted a extra washer on the sump plugs to prevent the scavenge hole becoming blocked by the sump plug thread.

only after this did it stop smoking and blacking the plug. its a work in progress but at least that has been sorted out.

I would remove the head and barrel for inspection, checking rings condition, if the barrel needs honing get that done  and rebuild and reset the rings to 120 degree gaps from each other if no other obvious issues.

you mention 6k since rebuild but how has it been ridden?

The first few 100kms will obviously need gently riding to run in the engine but is the bike used for just plodding around as in high gear low rpm or is it given some higher rev's every now and then as this will help burn off any residue in the combustion chamber.

Personally I've never know any petrol engine that didn't benefit from a good thrash every now and then.
Campfire Talk / Re: E-Bike developments
« Last Post by Quest on April 24, 2024, 03:05:03 pm »
Fast Marin County E-bikes were back in the local (KCBS) radio news again yesterday. Marin is now focusing on three high schools where the teenagers are riding to the schools on fast electric bicycles/motorcycles (meanwhile terrorizing the local communities?). They want all of the ebikes to be registered with the schools and inspected for safety. They are also considering some other requirements, but I can't recall what they are. Now the county supervisor who is stirring the pot (and getting the press exposure) says that she is talking directly with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to see what they can do to reign in the proliferation of these dangerous vehicles and make them safer.
"They are also considering some other requirements, but I can't recall what they are."
Pretty sure those will be use taxes  ;)
Campfire Talk / Re: JOTD
« Last Post by Richard230 on April 24, 2024, 02:29:38 pm »
Japanese reading lesson.  :o
Campfire Talk / Re: E-Bike developments
« Last Post by Richard230 on April 24, 2024, 02:22:08 pm »
Fast Marin County E-bikes were back in the local (KCBS) radio news again yesterday. Marin is now focusing on three high schools where the teenagers are riding to the schools on fast electric bicycles/motorcycles (meanwhile terrorizing the local communities?). They want all of the ebikes to be registered with the schools and inspected for safety. They are also considering some other requirements, but I can't recall what they are. Now the county supervisor who is stirring the pot (and getting the press exposure) says that she is talking directly with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to see what they can do to reign in the proliferation of these dangerous vehicles and make them safer.
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Small screw, big problem
« Last Post by Breezin on April 24, 2024, 02:00:34 pm »
Right, I'm just a wee bit ashamed of this, but I got the job done without cutting a new thread, or at least without using a tap in the proper manner.

I'd ordered some questionable-quality ss bolts from Amazon, which arrived before I had the opportunity to get a decent tap and die set. I was pleased to see that the bolt had a bigger hex than the original: this gave me way more turning force, and it drove home in one go with a little resistance, I suspect from residual thread lock. I back it out again and refitted it to make sure I wasn't storing up trouble for the future. Bingo!

So now I have (I hope) a working ABS system again, but have to wait to confirm that in an actual ride which isn't possible just now. I hope the result is positive, because if it isn't I won't know what I've done wrong, and my new-found Zen approach to motorcycle maintenance might be severely tested.

I'd just like to express my sincere thanks to everyone who generously contributed ideas, some with incredible detail. I'm been on quite a few motorbike forums, but this one is way out in front in terms of the superb quality of the advice freely given by members. Actually, I think that has to do with the nature of these bikes and the kind of people who appreciate them.

My assumption is this is the new schedule and the 500km first inspection remains, thereafter it’s done at 10,000 kms or 6000 miles.

So what’s new with this schedule? Looks for me completely identical to the old one.
My assumption is this is the new schedule and the 500km first inspection remains, thereafter it’s done at 10,000 kms or 6000 miles. Mine was done at 3000 miles and having just checked it at 9000 miles they were still in specification, which is reassuring.😁

Was that service expensive?  My local bike shop charges £80 per hour labour plus everything else on top.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]