Author Topic: Compression presure in himalayan  (Read 1773 times)

ZETA_517

• Charly
  • Neophyte
on: January 07, 2021, 09:02:52 pm
Hi, good morning. I am an owner of a himalayan 2020, in my locality there is no distributor of the brand and my motorcycle has suffered some failures. I have a question about the compression range of the engine, my compression gauge shows me 80 psi; the engine has 1550km. I found a manual on the internet for bullet models and it shows a compression pressure of 110 ps +/- 5. It is normal for my himalayan to have a compression pressure of 80 psi with the mileage the engine has. I clarify that the first service was made at 1000km. Could you answer my question thank you very much for your attention
Feliz propietario de una brutal  RE Himalayan, una hermosa HD XL883, una Milf Yamaha  XS750

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 09:23:07 pm
I don't know the actual cranking compression but with the throttle held wide open and a fully charged battery I'd expect to see something around 140 psi, give or take 10%. You might want to check the valve adjustment before going much further. A tight valve will certainly cause low compression.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 07:26:31 am
Are you cranking the the piston around half a dozen times and letting pressure build up until the gauge reading stops increasing?  As mentioned, one also wants to hold the throttle open so air can flow freely.

If you are doing it this way, 80psi reading is low.  Next test is to pour a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder and retest.  If pressure increases, this suggests your rings are leaking, if not, your valves are suspect.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 03:03:02 pm
As already said it could be a goog idear to check the valves which can cause this condition, you say you bike was serviced but they can still get the clearances wrong, flip the engine to TDC both valves closed and and do a check, also when doing a compression check run the engine on the starter to allow compression to build up then take psi reading.