Author Topic: DIY Oil temperatura ( In Spanish)  (Read 1067 times)

Ambrosig

• Scooter
on: August 10, 2020, 10:15:35 pm
Is in spanish

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 12:24:20 pm
Thank you - very interesting  ;)

What are the maximum Oil temperatures measured this way?

How long does it take to reach operating temperature?

Regards

Toni

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 04:30:23 pm
A Rough translation....to a Brilliant piece...

Oil temperature for RE Himalayan
One of the interesting things about the Himalayan is its oil cooler but we cannot know what the actual temperature of the engine is.
The sensor on the cylinder reads the temperature of the combustion chamber, quite useful for the calculations of the ECU but if we put a scanner we will see that it rises and rises until it exceeds 200 degrees and that scares anyone.
Another temperature sensor that is talked about a lot is the air intake, that does not tell us what the engine temperature is either.
Luckily the motorcycle has several places where we could adapt temperature bulbs, one is where oil is loaded, another is the tuning register, and the last one is on the drain plug, which -for me- is the most convenient.
The drain plug is the best place to put a temperature bulb because it will always be submerged in oil there. In the other two it only receives splashes and foam and can err in a few degrees. In addition, when the engine is stopped, the oil is no longer read but the temperature of the engine covers.
The oil temperature watch I chose is generic, it already comes with a screw-in bulb

5/8 which is too small to fit in the load and drain holes which are both 20mm.
The solution is in the hands of a turner, in my case I bought a gas adapter from 5.8 to one inch and the turner made the metric thread of 20.
The rest is to get copper or aluminum washers and that's it. (a secret) between the bulb and the turned part I used Teflon to avoid leaks, having a washer on top there is no danger that it does not make mass). I have two places to install the clock, one is on the dash and the other on the side, in both cases I plan to put it with a piece of 3M VHB RP45 Tape. (it is the one used to fix the Go Pro)
I already tried that system on another bike and they don't move. Care must be taken to clean surfaces with isopropyl alcohol (contact cleaner) and work with gloves to avoid contaminating. That way the RP45 is eternal.  8)
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎