Author Topic: Classic 500 lazy to start, Neutral makes me pull my hair out?  (Read 426 times)

asleepatwheel

• Scooter
My Classic 500 has not been easy to start since the day I bought it (4 years ago).

(electric start). I'll try to start it, takes between 3 and 7 attempts, it just turns over and doesn't catch. Sometimes goes so long I worry I'll wear down battery, but so far eventually catches.

Might just be my imagination, but if I'm on a hill, it seems to be worse. On flat ground - better. I've replaced the spark plug every 1,000 miles or so. (NGK 7131 BPR6ES Standard Spark Plug)

Also, change out the air and oil filters and replace the oil every 1k miles.

I'm sitting there in front of a pretty gal, or some old men admiring my bike and then can't get the thing started. embarrassing - lol

Any ideas?

Second, are all REC500's so difficult to find neutral? I'll go back and forth on the clutch, but seems like it's pure magic if the bike ever finds neutral. esp difficult to see in bright weather. Any tricks to finding it?

Appreciate it.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 12:00:48 pm
Second, are all REC500's so difficult to find neutral? I'll go back and forth on the clutch, but seems like it's pure magic if the bike ever finds neutral. esp difficult to see in bright weather. Any tricks to finding it?

Appreciate it.

I think it's more a case of perfecting your "foot feel" than "looking for the light".

Hitting Neutral "just before you stop" is also another good idea. It becomes a bit more tricky if you stop & THEN try to click neutral. Never come to a stop in 4th or 5th gear.

Also sometimes letting the clutch out "just a hair" will let it click into neutral.

The type of footwear also matters. With some boots there is zero
foot sensitivity on the shift lever.

Just as an aside, my 2008 AVL has had the slickest click, click transmission of any bike I've ever had from brand new. It's just a click, click up or down & a pleasure to use & never a problem hitting neutral.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 12:53:18 pm
I have a lot of trouble finding neutral on my 2020 Bullet Trials 500. It was a long time before I discovered the the neutral light on mine is intermittent - the bike will actually be in neutral with the handlebars pointing straight ahead, but the light won't be on. But if I turn the handlebars to the left the light comes on! I suspect it's a wiring fault in the headlamp nacelle - either a broken wire or loose connector. I agree the light can be very difficult to see in bright sunlight - an LED replacement would probably help.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 02:25:04 pm
My 2011 Bullet has one of the best transmissions that I have every used on a motorcycle. I have never had a problem finding neutral and shifting between gears feels like butter.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1