Author Topic: Blown fuse  (Read 2572 times)

scouse

• Scooter
on: July 27, 2019, 06:55:13 pm
My 95 iron Bullet is blowing fuses
No idea why, I have searched everywhere for a short or broken wire but no luck.
My fuse is on the neg wire and any diagram I've seen shows it on the POS wire. No problems till now can't figure it. It has a 20 amp fuse that was in the bike when I bought it years ago
Any help please

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 09:09:38 pm
If there are no wiring faults or loose terminals there must be a short circuit in one of the electrical components. The main fuse should be between the ammeter and the positive terminal of the battery if your bike's system is negative earth/ground. Double check the wiring around the headstock, the insulation of the wiring can get brittle where the wiring loom flexes.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

scouse

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 10:17:29 pm
Thanks I will take a closer look

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 11:28:13 pm
Hopefully, here is a Iron Barrel wiring diagram.

With the fuse between the battery positive terminal and the ignition switch, the short could be just about anywhere.
The comment about the wiring going into the casquette is a good one.  Those wires get bent every time the handlebars move so it is entirely possible that one of them has broken thru its insulation and made contact with a grounding wire next to it.

Before tearing too far into the harness though, I would examine the wires that can be easily seen.
On my Royal Enfield there were a lot of places where a wire was rubbing against a bracket on the frame.  Assuming your old iron barrel is probably similar, look at any place where a wire is held in place against some part of the frame.

If the fuse blows only when the headlight is on, the tail-light wire is a good place to start, where it runs under the rear mud guard.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:38:14 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

grumpyed

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 02:52:30 pm
Check all ground points for a perfect ground.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 08:27:55 pm
The Snidal manual has several wiring diagrams in it. My 1999 bullets were close to a couple of them, but apparently the factory makes wiring changes on the fly. By examining the diagrams & the switches & electrical bits you have actually on the bike, you can eventually puzzle out which diagram is closest to what you have. One of my bikes was wired so poorly I felt compelled to redo the whole shebang. That allowed me to add multiple fuses and create different circuits for the various systems. Now, a short on the horn doesn't pop the main fuse and kill the both the lights & ignition in the middle of a corner at night...As long as you document & draw what you do, troubleshooting gets real easy. If the drawings don't follow the bike, the next guy in has a real voyage of discovery.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.