Author Topic: Alternate tank ?  (Read 5921 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 10:20:56 pm
I think the price is too high.

While the market has changed somewhat, I bought a running 2000 500 chrome for $500 about 10 years ago, and a 2005 500 military needing repair for $700 about 7 years ago.

I would look around some more.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 08:05:33 pm
Upon reflection, I now concur with Ace and others that that bike is a little too "optimistically priced" at $3995, which is only $500 less than its original sticker price of $4,495 nearly 20 years ago. After all, we're not talking about a Brough Superior, Vincent or even a '60s Triumph or Norton true classic here, just an older bike that might charitably be described as a "faux-classic". Sure, it has some desirable farkles, but such improvements are usually baked into the mix with little effect on end sale price. Folks get deeply invested in their vehicles, especially those they've lavished sweat and resources on. I doubt I'd sell mine for any "reasonable price," but then I'm not flogging it on craigslist either.

Sure, I'd like  to feel that something so similar to my own ride, purchased for just $1,200 during a November 2017 blizzard with evident "Real Leap of Faith Issues," notably sploodging whale bukkake amounts of motor oil forming a pond of multigrade below the crankcase when she started during my initial pre-purchase inspection (now long since sorted out [cause: breather catch can cloggery]), might be worth anything like 4 Grand. But really...

Casting feelings aside, I wanted to find some quantifiable citeable source as to these Iron Barrel "Military" models' real value. Oddly enough, the Online NADA Guide  only offers its full retail sticker price when new. This contrasts with its full conditional listings for my far rarer '67 Norton N15CS "Desert Sled", which I am gratified to learn that even in "Fair" condition is now said to be worth a tad more than 3000% of the hundred bucks I paid for it--delivered to my doorstep--back in the early '90s in Texas. If only all my investments went so swimmingly!

Still, even if NADA fails us, Kelley Blue Book  offers us a straightforward figure of $2,495 for a "2000 Royal Enfield Military 500" in whatever condition. So, at least you now have something authoritative-looking that you can print out and wave at the guy while haggling him down out of orbit. Remember, unless a 24 carat golden ingot is bolted onto the pillion seat and easily removeable, "improvements" hardly ever factor dollar-for-dollar into a used vehicle's sale price. Once they're part of the vehicle, they're just part of the vehicle. So, don't let the seller try to take you down that "but it's got improved transduction grommets on the competition foonbinnacles!" path.

If you want it, I'd now suggest offering him not a nickel more than that published $2,495 Blue Book  value, and just let that stew. If he's hoping under the well-known "Bigger Idiot Theory" to do much better than an acknowledged standard published resource of vehicle values, then remind him that the doofus he seeks might well get lost or slip on his drool, and never make his way there or maybe get peckish and eat his wallet on the way. Be friendly yet firm and remind him...

"Your old shit is not yet golden to me.
If you think it is, you should definitely keep it.
Please let me know before Saturday,
'cause I've got another Enfield I'm looking at."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:41:45 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 11:55:06 pm
It's interesting and very fitting that you mention breaks while we are talking about Royal Enfield sprag clutches.
That's one thing they seem to be good at.  They often break even when the motorcycle isn't braking.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 01:02:08 am
You are correct as always, Tooseevee.

Not true. My Reply #13 was totally wrong.

On your other posting about gold-plated dog shit still being dog shit I would never expect to get much more than $2,000 for my '08 that I got brand new in 2010 and is cosmetically perfect, has an ACE head, many improvements and loving care along with probably the lowest mileage out there for an '08 unless you found one still in the cosmoline. When you come right down to it it's probally not even well broken in yet. I might start it at $2,500 knowing I'd never get it.

What I've spent in dollars and time means nothing when it comes to selling it. The problem is finding the right buyer who "gets it". An idiot could destroy it in one day. And I care about that.

PS: I looked again; that 2000 in the ad also has some incredibly low miley age.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:35:50 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 01:13:10 am
Of course it is overpriced....and the seller is in Croatia having left the bike in the states for his "friend" to sell.

Nevertheless, thanks for the comments as I just wanted to know if they were sold in that configuration in 2000.

And if it is likely a USA import  bike. I live about 150 miles distant or I would just go look at it.

All the best

David Graves