Author Topic: Alternate tank ?  (Read 5923 times)

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
on: July 20, 2019, 04:31:59 pm
Hello !

A "1980" "military model" is for sale in my area and seller says it has an oversized OEM fuel tank.

Are there OEM oversized tanks ?

What I see in the ad is a drum brake, 500 with shiny green paint, pin stripes and the "military" metal panniers....and the gold tank mount carry rack.

Seller says it is legally titled.

Were RE sold in the US in 1980?

I am mostly interested in whether oversized tanks were built/sold.

Many thanks

David Graves

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 06:04:55 pm
There are plenty of aftermarket over-size tanks around in India, I have one somewhere in the garage loft, though I have never seen an OEM example (not that the factory couldn't have experimented, of course). This sort of thing, though mine was red and chrome.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-Ltr-Standard-Petrol-Fuel-Tank-Bare-Metal-Ready-to-Paint-Royal-Enfield-New/133021287216?epid=0&hash=item1ef8afc330:g:GrMAAOSweg1csYgg

That one claims to be 18 liters, 22 and larger are available, the stock Bullet tank was actually 14 liters or 3 UK gallons.

Kevin can advise you on the history of Indian-built Bullets imported into the USA.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:35:03 pm
I'd love to see some pictures of it, if available.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 07:32:25 pm
No factory 1980 500 models.
Most likely a "grey import" built on a frame with an old number, and imported here as a "vintage".
This kind of thing is fairly common to see, with all newer 500 parts on an old frame to circumvent import restrictions.

Regarding the large tank, one like that should go right on your iron barrel bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:12:53 pm
!988/89 was when were the the first factory 500 models were built in India. Either that's a retro-fitted 500 engine or the crankcases have been modified to take 500 engine parts.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 02:29:38 am
Hello all

Here is a link to add.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-2000royal-enfield-500cc-bullet/6936785253.html

I have a very passing interest in this bike and would welcome comments.

David

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 02:52:21 am
I aplogise to all...this bike for sale is advertised as a year model 2000.

A 1980  basket case was nearby and confused me....old eyes....slow fingers.

David

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 03:31:46 am
Hello all

Here is a link to add.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-2000royal-enfield-500cc-bullet/6936785253.html

David

I think it's lovely, and it certainly ticks all my boxes. I've got a very similar '05 "Military," but that one has several features I'd have frankly much preferred, or in some cases not. I like my 5-speed lefty well enough now that I'm well used to it (hitherto all of my bikes had been right-shifters), but that traditional righthand shift Albion 4-speed box with its neutral finder is still very appealing. Sure, there's a bit of a steep leap from 3rd to top compared with mine, but top's still the same ratio in the end, and that'd be good enough for me. It lacks the electric start, and believe me when I tell you that is a fine thing indeed. Speaking as one whose starter shit the bed, even though I rarely used it, and in fact hadn't for weeks when its notoriously flakey sprague clutch disintegrated all of its own accord, you're WAY better off without one. It appears yours also has the proper lefthand crankcase breather, just as God and Redditch intended, and not some cockamamie emissions-mandated breather catch can rigamarole off the inner timing case that once afflicted mine in its first days in my stable, which got all cloggy and sploodged multigrade alarmingly like the Exxon Valdez until I yanked the whole ill-conceived affair out and punted it into the hedges.

In short, "grey market bitsa import" or not, if that pretty bike has a good title, starts and stops and runs without sounding like it'll fly apart before it reaches the end of the driveway, I'd say it's probably worth every penny of its $3995 asking price in this July peak riding season. I may have got mine much cheaper, but it had immediate and subsequent "issues" caused by modern fripperies that needed dealing with that your more original and "honest" design won't trouble you with. Of course, yours may have a piston made of Punjabi Cheezwiz...I mean, it looks well cared for, but in the end they're all rescue dogs, and you takes your chances and hope you don't get bit too bad.

Here's mine:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:14:54 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 12:20:26 pm
Hello all

Here is a link to add.

David

It's a very nice bike, but there's certainly nothing "rare" about it as the ad says.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 12:38:34 pm
flakey sprague clutch disintegrated all of its own accord, you're WAY better off without one.

Please. The term is sprag, not sprague.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=sprag
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 02:47:35 pm
As a 2000 500 Bullet in army green it looks OK, it would look even better without that exhaust pipe wrap and the black stone-guard on the headlamp. That is definitely the aftermarket tank, you can get them with and without knee pads, though on the 18liter and above the knee pads are recessed.

Without reading all of the listing it looks like it has one of the old CMW/JRC Kehin carb conversions fitted.

A.

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 03:07:25 pm
Many thanks all.

Would this bike have likely been sold in the US in 2000?

In my observation, and for the local market, it is overpriced.

David Graves

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 03:28:33 pm
Many thanks all.

Would this bike have likely been sold in the US in 2000?

In my observation, and for the local market, it is overpriced.

David Graves

Disregard this post. Brain fart and inattention.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:00:07 am by tooseevee »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 03:34:10 pm
          Please. The term is sprag, not sprague.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=sprag

You are correct as always, Tooseevee. I bow to your orthographic mastery. The correct term is indeed "sprag," or apparently "sparg" in polite company, as evidenced in my Spare Parts Catalog, section 03-20.

"The Sprague," on the other hand, may refer to a medieval term for a then-common malady presenting itself as a sharp pain in the gluteus, or ass, said to have been caused by cheap urine-processed leather riding equipage. So, where Enfield's wonky starters are concerned, I suppose I wasn't too far off excretion-wise. They're shit, and one is probably better off without one--a "sprag" that is.

Treatment of "The Sprague" ca. 1300 from Liber Exlaxicus
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:20:32 pm by Bilgemaster »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 06:02:11 pm
You are correct as always, Tooseevee. I bow to your orthographic mastery. The correct term is indeed "sprag," or apparently "sparg" in polite company, as evidenced in my Spare Parts Catalog, section 03-20.

I waited a long time to point it out. I just couldn't help it any longer. You did it from the very beginning. It's not sparg either  :)

My parts catalog spells Brakes Breaks incorrectly on some pages and spells it Brakes on other pages.

Breaks is one of my "hugest" pet peeves here on the forums. That and your and you're and there, their and they're and apostrophes on just plain plurals.

I'm usually successful at not commenting. It can get you in trouble these days.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:07:52 pm by tooseevee »