Author Topic: Why does my bike keep breaking?  (Read 25694 times)

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
on: June 09, 2019, 01:24:08 am
Took the bike out of the garage for a ride. Held the clutch in kicked over a couple of times. Held the de-compressor in and kicked over a couple of times and heard a sound (I think) and then the kicker froze. I can only kick when the clutch is held in. Not other wise, the kicker is stuck solid. What is wrong with my bike?

Thanks !

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:44:08 am
Can we see some pictures of the decompressor assembly on the head?  Wondering if its valve may have somehow slipped it's moorings, fallen into the cylinder, and is holding the piston in place on the upstroke. If so, you may have gotten off lucky, relatively speaking. Don't force it!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:54:35 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 02:30:37 am
Bilgemaster makes a good point.

Of course, when the clutch is pulled in, kicking the kick starter lever doesn't really cause the crankshaft to rotate.  It only rotates the gears in the transmission and the clutch disks.

It isn't until the clutch lever is released that the kick starter rotates the crankshaft.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 03:35:27 am
Same symptoms my Bullet had when the rotor let loose. Open the primary, check the primary chain. 

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:19:05 am
Same symptoms my Bullet had when the rotor let loose. Open the primary, check the primary chain.

I concur. A bound up primary chain would give the same symptoms. In fact, now that I think about it, it's probably more likely than the decompression valve landing "just so" more or less vertically on the piston.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:22:51 pm
Decompression valve looks ok. Primary also looks ok. Please see images here: https://imgur.com/a/vzdpLPf

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 12:35:49 am
Have you got a borescope or endoscope for a peek into the cylinder bore to check if anything is amiss in there and also behind and below the alternator rotor and stator? Here's a little USB kit at Wallyworld for less than 10 bucks that'll plug into an Android phone or laptop, which has fairly decent reviews.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 06:03:22 pm
If the primary is good, then you need to dig deeper.  The above mentioned video probe would be good to see if something is in the cylinder.  My next thought would be to open tappet door, and the points cover to see if anything is jammed there. Remove the valve covers and see if a valve has been sucked into chamber. Barring problems there, the timing cover would be next, perhaps a broken tooth on the oil pump spindle, broken tooth on timing gears, pinion gear, distributor shaft etc.  Try to consider it a puzzle that will take a while to complete.  Make it fun, half the fun of and RE is finding the problem, then fixing it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 02:20:39 am
Have you got a borescope or endoscope for a peek into the cylinder bore to check if anything is amiss in there and also behind and below the alternator rotor and stator? ...
I think a Endoscope is used by a Proctologist for examining things inside a small orifice.
A Borescope is used by a Gynecologist for examining things inside larger cavities.

Bah, ha, ha...  :o ;D ;D ;D 8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 04:18:02 am
I think a Endoscope is used by a Proctologist for examining things inside a small orifice.
A Borescope is used by a Gynecologist for examining things inside larger cavities.

Bah, ha, ha...  :o ;D ;D ;D 8)

Well, we all have our hobbies...Personally I like to dub my "special footage" with Surf Music.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:39:30 am by Bilgemaster »

Unlucky_soul

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 05:19:08 am
This happened to a friend as well. One of the side valve that pushes the push rod got broken. Perhaps its that?

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 07:48:13 pm
Thanks guys, I will take a look at each item and figure this out, just bummed that this happened in prime riding season. I love riding my Iron Barrel :(

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 08:50:20 pm
I would agree that the primary looks OK. Just to be sure make sure it has clearance all of the way around between the rotor and the stator. .006 is the spec but for this purpose any clearance is OK. I is almost ALWAYS something simple and it tends to get overlooked. Also check to make sure your bike is in neutral. Sounds silly but please check

1. Put the bike in 4th gear and see if you can push it. If you can the engine is not frozen or locked up
2. Alternative approach is the use a socket and a good size ratchet/handle to see if the engine can be turned over at the nut holding the rotor on.

If it is frozen then lets get to the possibilities. We'll take this one step at at time
1. Get one of these from eBay - they are totally cool and cheap.https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bore%20scope&ssPageName=GSTL

2. Stick it in the spark plug hole and see what there is to see. You are looking for a valve that might have dropped, a decomprossoer that has dropped, a vertical score in the cylinder that might indicate a broken ring.

3. open the tappet cover on the side and see if a valve jumped off of the lifter

4. Take off the valve covers covers and see if one of the rocker blocks have frozen
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 02:50:00 pm
Been a couple weeks since the last post. Any thoughts on a likely culprit yet?

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 06:20:30 pm
I am curious as well.