Author Topic: Intro and question: Smooth Left Side  (Read 12967 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 11:55:24 am
Here’s my 350 Bullet Electra. It has electronic ignition driven off the crank, but it has no starter motor. The left side cases are different to most other Bullets, screws and a gasket instead of the central bolt and O ring. It causes some confusion when ordering parts, even at Hitchcock’s.

Nice bike. I'm curious about what brand that tricky looking petcock is. It looks like PNC or PAC?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 12:01:41 pm
Though this is a 'real' trials bike build I found it extremely educational on basic Bullet building techniques.
https://youtu.be/Mg4qKJhAeMA
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 02:08:09 pm
Michael Waller is my fave. His current build is an XS650 in a BSA B50 frame.
Lurker on a Vespa

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 05:26:57 pm
@ddavidv, WOWZA! That video looks great. I'd seen some of his stuff, but not this. Tucking in later today. My bike should arrive in Seattle on Monday. 

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 07:04:30 pm
Nonfiction - Here's a YouTube link showing an old Electra with the "bare bones" front end treatment. The tiny speedo has a trip resettable odometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV-cC2noM7U
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 07:45:51 pm
Those folks at Baak sure do turn out some lovely things. I like that triple clamp arrangement (I reckon that's a full set of Thunderbird triples), and the headlight is the exact model I would like to find and mount up. Super tidy little stainless mounting ears they've fitted also. Thank you for the link/inspo!

Nonfiction - Here's a YouTube link showing an old Electra with the "bare bones" front end treatment. The tiny speedo has a trip resettable odometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV-cC2noM7U

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 08:06:55 pm
@Ace, thanks. That's encouraging. Once I have the bike in hand, I'll march more forcefully into this quest.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 09:36:26 pm
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 12:44:38 pm
Michael Waller's videos convinced me that diving into a Albion transmission wasn't terribly scary (it wasn't). His rebuild of the Indian twin helped push me toward buying something similar (I'll know after the weekend). Plus I could listen to him talk for hours. His delivery is great. I believe he was an educator for a time in the UK and it certainly shows. The man should teach shop classes.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 01:20:39 pm
          Nice bike. I'm curious about what brand that tricky looking petcock is. It looks like PNC or PAC?

It's the same as this (but mine came from eBay): https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Petrol-Tank-Taps/20293

I later ditched it after removing the in built filter whilst trying to solve a fuel flow problem with the bike. Back then it had its original 24mm Mikcarb fitted (it turned out to be a manufacturing fault in the carb itself, not the fuel tap). The bike now has a Wassell 26mm concentric fitted, runs better and allows more power.
Paul W.

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 01:35:38 am
The bike has arrived with me. It's just as lovely as the two pictures I stared at over the last five weeks. I'm more smitten than ever with the beautiful (TINY) gas tank, kinda hating the look of the seat, and very excited to change the tires.

I have ordered a set of Pirelli MT43 trials tires for it from my local tire guy, and am trying to hold off buying a whole slew of other stuff all at once too, as I don't want to get ahead of myself and in too d$$p before I even know how I feel about the bike.

First impressions (riding a few times around my block, because I hadn't got a license plate for it until today):

• It's LOUD with that trials exhaust! (Hitchcocks sells a baffle for this exhaust--have to find out if it's installed. Hope not, cause it's a bit antisocial!)
• The disk brake stops the bike, like, remarkably well!
• No worrisome noises from sprag clutch. Starts easy, button or kick. Well in truth I'll need to practice the kick start routine some. Resorted to electric leg a couple times.
• Bit of fiddliness in the ignition switch--wiggle key to get lights. Will dig in.
• Ugly heat shield on the exhaust needs a standoff--as it is it's heating up with the exhaust in real time. OUCH.
• Wiring all needs re-wrapped; I'll likely be doing a big go-through on this anyhow. Want it tidy and minimal.
• Really need new handlebars--that bend is not nice for my wrists.
• Seat is comfy-ish, but is not in keeping with the vibe I'm seeking for this bike.
• Fenders/mudguards are too new, too shiny! Need to get some dirt on em.
• I'll be ordering longer shock absorbers pretty shortly to get the back end up a little bit. Are there any chainline issues with 2" longer shocks (360mm/14")? Aware kickstand/sidestand will be affected of course.
• Apart from chrome sheeting off the straight kickstart lever, the finishes are all pretty nice on this bike. That lever needs to be set right and tightened!
• Quality looking stainless bolt set on the motor/trans
• Needs a going over with grease/Loc-tite and a wd40 rag, as all the bolts/nuts look a bit dry and chalky.
• When the disk brake kit was put on, one of the mounting ears on that leg broke a little bit. Gonna keep a real close eye on that.
• The forks top out a bit abruptly, clunkily.

It GOES. It's got a real nice go-urge to it. Really feel that big crank. Feels relaxed but also content to push a little. Having a good front brake always makes a motorcycle feel faster, that's gotta be part of it. I'll ride it around town tomorrow and across the way introduce it to my motobuddies at tomorrow evening's Boys Nite--one of my dudes has the same bike but in factory livery.

I think I'm gonna like it here!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 01:56:36 am
That is a pretty bike, and I've gotta guess that rear tire might be equally at home on the trail or the asphalt.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 02:34:33 am
Very Nice Ride! I am very envious of that disc brake.

Your highly desirable 5 speed has better ratios overall than the 4 speed:
4 Speed ratios: 1st = 2.78:1, 2nd = 1.84:1, 3rd = 1.36:1, 4th = 1:1.
5 Speed ratios: 1st = 3.06:1, 2nd = 2.01:1, 3rd = 1.52:1, 4th = 1.21:1, 5th = 1:1.
It still needs lower gearing overall to excel on trails. Right now top end is in the high 60's, you can afford to shave some off of this end.
You very nearly have the overall Trials Gearing spread already, but without the huge gap between 3rd & 4th.
( 4 Sp. only Trials gears: 1st = 3.19:1, 2nd = 1.97:1, 3rd = 1.46:1, 4th = 1:1)
The Pirellis will allow proper "plonking" on trails. A 42 - 44 tooth rear sprocket puts your first gear below the specialized trials gear numbers and will give you a usable 1st & 2nd gear on tight trails. Actual trials use would require much more than that, maybe 50T.

The local dirt bike shop will have a selection of handlebars - go see what feels best for you. Aluminum bars have some shock deadening qualities, something to consider.

I assume the fork part that broke is the alloy axle clamp? These should cure that:
PART No. 92634 ; £10.50 ; CLAMP, FORK SPINDLE, STEEL, EACH

The fork oil may be low or too thin. The Snidal book and elsewhere on this forum have aids to check & cure that. The fork & shock springs are notoriously heavy, and there are softer replacements for both.

The stock footpeg placement on the Bullet is too far forward for stand-up offroad work. The "action" pictures in Hitchcocks accessory section seem to show them about 6"-8" aft of the stock placement, or else the rider's falling off. The Bullet steers very well from a seated position, so it's not mission critical.
PART No. 92519 ; FOOTRESTS, FOLDING TRIALS, PAIR ; £29.50
These universal folding footrests are made specially for competition. They will need to be welded to the frame in the desired position.
Grumbern's Project "Laubfrosch" - the trials hybrid in the Vintage Royal Enfield/Indian section of this forum is astounding - what an artist.

I really like your machine - can't wait to hear how it performs with the real trials tires on it! - ACR -

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 03:32:14 am
Regarding the seat, the one I have may be more proper for a trials type bike.

Hitchcocks has them, real leather. Not horrible money. Rigid mount, no springs.

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 09:34:51 pm
The new bike's first ride out was a success. Rode it about 10 miles on the freeway, one way, then noodled back home across the small roads in town on the way home. I'm unaccustomed to riding a bike in the right lane, but it felt right on this Bullet, hovering around an indicated 57mph. This bike engages all my moto-jollies without getting me jacked up.

The ignition switch is a bit fiddly--I need to dig in, as it faulted some on the ride. I have to jiggle the key to get the dash lights to come on. Not cool. It got me to my buddy's house, and I got home just fine, but it did cut out a few times and I did have to jiggle the key a few times. Next order of business!

One of my buddies had a handlebar in his stash that, while not quite perfect for my vision, is far less wrong than the bar that came on the bike. Sweet old nicely sun-patina'd formerly black anodized aluminum bar with ~4-1/2" rise and more modest sweep than the outgoing bar. Swapped out with little drama and the bike looks and feels one tiny bit more 'mine'.

We determined the classic headlight nacelle has to go, in favor of the cast trials top yoke, which I'll get on order today. (Speaking of, does anyone have an ebay seller they particularly do or don't recommend using?), and I'll need a headlamp that suits the bill.

I remain very much not in love with the seat. I have some ideas for what's to come in its place. I need to not rush purchases for this thing, but that thing's gotta go. My buddy wants it for his bike, so that's handy.

The tank was sitting snugged a bit too far down on the frame, and was very nearly fouling the valve cover bolts and throttle cable, so I pulled it and ziptied a little saddle of rubber onto the backbone for the tank to rest on. Fixes up the line a bit better, too--so the bottom of the tank is closer to parallel with the cylinder cooling fins.

Off to a great start!