Author Topic: 1996 Bullet 500 Army Turn Signal questions  (Read 2822 times)

variable81

• 1996 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 ARMY
  • Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 05:10:54 am
Oh and found the flasher... looked nothing like all the pictures. But still have no spark, and Ammeter doesnt cycle as i kick thru TDC.... have continuity from coil to hot side of points, switch set to run, battery almost 13v. Fuse in left tool box good, what did I do or smoke??? Key on lights an horn function.... i am lost!

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 05:17:08 am
No one b4 yesterday was in the tail light bucket, I have owned since new an it has 408 miles is all... so either the dealer did that, or the person who built it. I did remove everythin I did turn signal wise, I will go thru those procedures you laid out first thing in the morning. Thank you

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 05:47:13 am
I do have the free .pdf service manual, and the wiring diagrams in that are what I have. Still unsure what it is... good battery(even tried another to be sure), good fuse, continuity at coil an points, ammeter just sits dead flat in the middle, and no spark.... coils rarely go, but why would it this one die sitting, nonrunning... complete loss, been going connection by connection making sure each are solidly connected... nothing. Doe the 2 voktage repulator rectifiers cause problems? I musta somehow torched something....

also to answer another question you had, the rear turn signal are what came on the bike(never had fronts) their just a 2 wire, with matching color coded wires. The fronts i was was adding were the same.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 11:15:21 am
I'll add this FWIW...maybe helpful but probably not.
My bastardized 2007 came to me with no turn signals. None. Because 'bobber'.  ::)
I found the leads for the rears just hacked off and taped. Easy fix.
I have never been able to locate leads for the front. Inexplicably, my trafficators in the casquette function as the front signals. They are, of course, pretty useless at this task, but I don't bother with inspections so they are 'good enough'.

Point being, maybe yours is wired the same way for some reason.

I've also found the RE flashers to be wholly unreliable and finnicky. I currently have a regular automotive round '552' style flasher on mine tucked in the tool box. Having the correct (and identical) amp bulbs L&R will also fix erratic blinking.

I had some problems with mine not working and found the rear harness shorting on the underside of the mud guard.

That's all I've got.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 01:45:54 pm
Thank you, the front lil marker lights are just wired as they should be. Thing is once I identified right and left turn signal leads wired lights into em things went south. Right side blinkers were nice an bright, left were not, then the left quit all together, then the right, then the ammeter quit an i lost spark. I removed everything turn signal, checking wiggling every connection in the headlight, I then checked fuse, good, battery great, the lead from the points to coil good... still no spark, still a dead ammeter.

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 02:08:07 pm
So today, I will be going thru the ignition circuit with a test light an try and identify where spark is being lost. As the manual says starting at open points.

How do you remove the key switch and Ammeter to more easily check those terminals?

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 03:49:45 pm
To quote Borat, "Great success!" Found my break in the circuits. As per page 151 starting at the open points going to the coils neg an pos terminals, upto the ignition switch I found hidden a disconnected blade terminal on the orange/white wire, reconnected, an ammeter deflects, has spark, an started second kick.

Seems like someone would clean up if they produceda hi quality complete replacement wire harness... 

Either way gunna replace the sketchy 3 prong enfield flasher with a new one from my local Napa, but may just forget about blinkers an use my hands... if pulled over bout it... "never came with any...."

Thank you everyone! I knew it had to be something I had my clumsy hands in... (headlight bucket) when all else fails go back to keep it simple stupid.

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 03:50:47 pm
The culprit

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 04:24:58 pm
Well Done!
Your 1996 machine should be the earlier DC headlight version.
Here's some info I scavenged:
1) Color Export WD - maybe shows Magura switches, but has DC headlight.
2) A hand made sketch of my DC headlamp bike's wiring with the newer Minda switches adapted. It's set up in "Elementary" form, power (+) to (-) & flowing "downhill". You can modify it with Microsoft Paint to match your Magura switches after you ring them out.

Use both skeptically until you prove the circuits. Enfield in India seems to modify on the fly. An elementary is easy to use in troubleshooting after you know it's correct.

Another replacement to consider is the headlight bulb connector, a bakelite 3-prong unit vs. the wad of spade connectors.

Good Hunting - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2021, 04:30:32 pm
Great thank you!
Yes I agree the 3 floppy spades kinda stink lol.
Thanks again everyone for the help!

michaelcdsmith57@gmail.co

• Neophyte
Reply #25 on: April 03, 2021, 04:49:37 am
Hi i have 2015 500 classic bullet does any one know were the flasher unit is located

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 03, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
Hi i have 2015 500 classic bullet does any one know were the flasher unit is located
Wrong forum, my friend. You need to post here:  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?board=19.0
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor