Author Topic: 1996 Bullet 500 Army Turn Signal questions  (Read 2799 times)

variable81

• 1996 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 ARMY
  • Scooter
on: March 18, 2021, 04:42:53 pm
Stupid question first. I have a 1996 RE Bullet 500 ARMY, where is the turn signal or trafficator flasher located?

Second any advice on installing front ones? Mine only has em in the rear...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:17:15 pm
Welcome to "The Hoard of the Archaic"!

Do you have the Snidal Bullet manual?

Do you know about Hitchcocks? Comprehensive parts supply and Forum host!
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/

H's has online downloadable manuals also.
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Workshop-Manuals-To-Download

The actual flasher unit tends to be either in the left hand toolbox or under the saddle, depends who was in there last.

The front turn signals ( trafficators ) use brackets attached by the front fork pinch bolts and steadied by the fork stop casting.
https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook-pages/2021 ( 801164 & 801165 )

Most orders take 3 - 6 days from England. Pick out other necessary bits & save on postage.

Hope this helps - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:28:03 pm
Ya i would thought itin the left side tool bx(a fuse, and the brake light switch are...) but nope notin either, an all I can see under the seat(following the wires from the fender) is the rectifier (long aluminum colored finned box) so i am completely lost... lol mine never had brackets nor wiring for front signals, making brackets are easy enuff, but gotta find the flasher an replace(rears never worked from new) an then split off those an run wire for the fronts...

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:41:52 pm
And I have had since new, and have never touched the flasher. I can tell from pics of the part that it has a bracket and screws on somewhere, but where i cant find for life of me.

Only palce i havent looked an will now that i think of it is inside the housing the taillight is mounted to.... i will report back.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 06:28:34 pm
For your hunt perhaps it could help you to know that it might resemble the one shown below from the Hitchcocks Catalog:

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:38:17 pm
Thanks yeah i have seen the pictures of it, have had since new, 408 miles is all, an rear signals(all it has)have never worked. Getting the bike ready for some more use and it needs all 4 blinkers working... jist had lunch, headed out to shop to look behind the taillight housing, but more i think of it not sure why it would be in there... but there is not one anywhere else from the switch, headlighlight bucket, under seat around battery area.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 06:41:26 pm
Do the rear blinkers blink? Maybe you could locate it by sound, engine off of course!!  ;)

If they are on solid, no blinking, maybe they are wired straight through; on/off...?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 07:55:40 pm
O.K. opened up the tailight housing, no flasher but found all the wires to taillights unplugged, with a test light i did find the hot left and right lead(circled in picture) so with that can make rears no function(still have ZERO clue where flasher is...)

What will be best way to wire front turn signals? (Splice of the rears an run wire all the way to the front, or is there leads in the headlight bucket that would be better to tap into?)

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 07:58:39 pm
Sorry typing with my phone, but now having found the rear hot leads(and they do blink when swith is activated right or left) i can make the rears work as they should

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 08:02:46 pm
So next will be to wire for front indicators, will it be best to splice off the rear leads running wires to the front, or are there leads up front that would be better to tap into?

Still would like to find the flasher... its here... somewhere(the rear hot leads blink lol) but man where? I have NO CLUE!

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:11:04 pm
Headlight housing

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 09:18:21 pm
The "power" to the turn signal assemblies will be black/white to the left turn signal and black/green to the right. Black is used for (-)/Ground return. The left & right circuits will come from the handlebar switch into the "Casquette". I think "bullet" connectors plug in there for the front & rear circuits. Follow the switch wires to the casquette.

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 11:01:50 pm
Sounds great! Those colors match what I found in the rear, i will locate those leads up front an go from there, thank you! Will post when completed

variable81

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 02:28:31 am
OK... wired turn signals, to include the fronts by plugging into the existing 4 way bullet connectors for the leaft an right. Well... PROBLEM the connections all test lighted fine, plugged in fronts, no problems, plug in rears, an start having issues, 3 outa the four would work, than 2, 1... then none. My Ammeter... sets dead center and does not deflect as I kick thru TDC, an there is now no spark.... What did I do!?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 03:42:35 am
Are you using a multi-meter? You also mentioned that you found disconnected wires in the tail light - this may indicate "others" had trouble before.

Find & test main fuse. Unplug whatever you did in the casquette.

Time for pictures - what do the new front signals look like. How are they wired? I didn't see any in original picture.

Where is the flasher unit? Hunt it down, it's got to be in the underseat area.

The battery drives the spark coil. Flat battery means no spark. Main fuse blown means no spark.

The casquette wiring can be a tough location to see colors well. Use lots of light and good "super see-ers".

VERIFY what you think you know before charging ahead.

Start with casquette wiring as you found it.

With key ON, kick thru slowly using compression release, ammeter swings left when points close. Turn Kill switch OFF, should cut power to coil, ammeter should go to center. Now you can't burn points.

With Key ON, put turn signal to Right side blinkers. Rear right blinker should work as it did originally.

Put VOM meter between the Gn/Bk & Bk wires in casquette, should cycle between 0 to 12V. Key OFF. Plug in right front blinker. Key ON, see what you get. should blink slower IF it's a mechanical turn signal relay, maybe same speed if electronic.

If all goes well, try the left blinker wires.

Did you download the free Hitchcocks manual yet? Do you have a Snidal's manual? What are you using for wiring diagrams?

Electrickery responds to methodical troubleshooting. Bullet wiring is not Japanese grade. Add back one piece at a time.

Let us know what you find. - ACR -