Author Topic: Kickstarting tips?  (Read 2101 times)

Monkee

• Scooter
on: February 07, 2024, 08:19:25 am
So I can kickstart my C5 pretty reliably cold and on the centerstand (mainstand) but when it comes to kicking over the engine once is warm and when im sitting on it i can't really get it sometimes i can get it to tick over but not as reliably i end up having to put it on the side stand walk over to the other side and kick it then it starts right up.

Im guessing its because im on the shorter side and can't get a full wallop on the kicker.

Do you guys have any tips? I'd put it on the side stand and stand on the pegs but the sidestand doesnt give me much confidence

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 11:16:46 am
Is your electric boot not working?
Off route, recalculate?

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 11:41:48 am
Forgive me if you know this already, but this is the procedure.

1/ Don't try to kick it when sitting on the seat - stand up on your left leg

Edit: 1a/ Keep the throttle closed, and make sure it's in neutral. Ignition on and the kill-switch in the 'run' position, side stand retracted.

2/ Turn the engine over with the kick-start at a comfortable speed until you feel it come up to compression

3/ Let the kick-start lever return to the top

4/ Slowly push the lever through compression - two or three inches on the lever, maybe - and let it return to the top again

5/ Take a breath, then shift your weight to your right leg and plunge the lever down smoothly and as fast as you can. It should be a combination of your weight plus partially straightening your knee. Make sure your knee is still slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke.

If it's going to start, that should do it.

By positioning the engine at the top of the compression stroke you are giving yourself the longest possible "run up" time before the next compression stroke, which is what you want.

A couple more points: firstly, you could try cracking the throttle open a little bit to help the engine catch. Try it with a closed throttle first because that's how it normally starts. Secondly, some people advocate freeing up the clutch before plunging the kick-start lever. To do this, just before step 5/, pull in the clutch and push the kick-start lever right through a couple of strokes. Then release the lever and proceed to step 5/.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 11:52:01 am by SteveThackery »
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 02:15:18 pm
It sure is a lot easier just pushing a button.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

lou e

• Scooter
  • 1966 Interceptor Custom 2019 Orange Crush
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 08:19:49 pm
Until you need to do it then prior planning and practice beats learning
 how while drunk in the dark (don't ask me how I know this)...1966 interceptor custom 2019 int 650
1957 HD Sportster 1965 TR TT 1966 RE Interceptor Custom 2019 RE Int 650 1966 TR T20M 1999 Excelsior-Henderson

bthtony55?

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 08:57:06 pm
Because it has an auto valve lifter you could, if your brave, almost start it with your hand. Just push the button mate.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 09:26:32 pm
When I kick start mine, it's always standing on the kick starter side. I can't get a good swing at it sitting onboard like on a more normal motorbike.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 11:28:27 pm
When I kick start mine, it's always standing on the kick starter side. I can't get a good swing at it sitting onboard like on a more normal motorbike.

A more normal motorbike? What normal motorbike even has a kickstart?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 11:33:50 pm
A more normal motorbike? What normal motorbike even has a kickstart?
More normal bikes that I can kick start while I'm sitting on them. My Drz400, dr250, c90 for example. RE is special.lol..
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 12:50:40 am
Forgive me if you know this already, but this is the procedure.

1/ Don't try to kick it when sitting on the seat - stand up on your left leg

Edit: 1a/ Keep the throttle closed, and make sure it's in neutral. Ignition on and the kill-switch in the 'run' position, side stand retracted.

2/ Turn the engine over with the kick-start at a comfortable speed until you feel it come up to compression

3/ Let the kick-start lever return to the top

4/ Slowly push the lever through compression - two or three inches on the lever, maybe - and let it return to the top again

5/ Take a breath, then shift your weight to your right leg and plunge the lever down smoothly and as fast as you can. It should be a combination of your weight plus partially straightening your knee. Make sure your knee is still slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke.

If it's going to start, that should do it.

By positioning the engine at the top of the compression stroke you are giving yourself the longest possible "run up" time before the next compression stroke, which is what you want.

A couple more points: firstly, you could try cracking the throttle open a little bit to help the engine catch. Try it with a closed throttle first because that's how it normally starts. Secondly, some people advocate freeing up the clutch before plunging the kick-start lever. To do this, just before step 5/, pull in the clutch and push the kick-start lever right through a couple of strokes. Then release the lever and proceed to step 5/.
I never did any of "the procedure" with my UCE engined C5.  Just kicked it from wherever rotation position it was at when I walked up.  If it was above 50F, it would start first kick.  If it below 35F, perhaps a 2nd kick would be required.  This is what the auto decompressor cam, and fuel injection, bought us, in my opinion, no process required, kick and start.

Standing and straddling, with the side stand up or down, no process, no problem.  1 kick starter.
Standing on the right side with the bike on the center stand, no process, no problem,  1 kick starter.
But, I'm not small and I'm not short.

The only problem I had was when I wanted to use the electric starter.  My machine had a crappy connection in the clutch switch wiring or connection, and so would generally ignore any button presses unless I fiddled with those wires.  I never got around to fixing it, since it started so easily with the kicker.  Quicker to kick than to fiddle.

I'm sure my riding buddy got tired of my standing joke.  After he got his Sportster running, taking far too many kicks to count, I'd say, "I wonder how many kicks it will take to start the Enfield?   Lets COUNT!"   Then, I'd kick it and say, "One, .... ONE KICK!"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 12:53:11 am by axman88 »

om15

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 01:10:28 pm
Bike on centre stand, side stand up, approach from right hand side of bike, flick down kick start with left foot and bike starts first swing, jump on and ride off.
I used to own a Yamaha XT500, this was the most difficult bike to kick start and often ended in pain when it kicked back, the Bullet is a pussy cat compared to that.
current bikes
 2001 Bonneville 790,  RE Bullet 500 UCE

Previous, RE Classic 500, Classic 350 , RE Himalayan 2019, RE Interceptor 2020.
Triumph Trident 900, 2003 Bonneville 790 , Adventurer 900, T100 Bonneville, Street Twin. Tracer 700.  BSA C15, Yamaha XT500
Retired aircraft engineer South West

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 01:56:53 pm
Bike on centre stand, side stand up, approach from right hand side of bike, flick down kick start with left foot and bike starts first swing, jump on and ride off.
I used to own a Yamaha XT500, this was the most difficult bike to kick start and often ended in pain when it kicked back, the Bullet is a pussy cat compared to that.

I used to own a 1977 Yamaha SR500 and it was an easy first kick starter, hot or cold - unless it was only partly warmed up and had stalled out at an intersection. If that happened the engine would flood a bit and it would take several kicks with the throttle opened to clear it out before it would start again.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 02:20:20 pm

The OP was asking about kickstarting when astride the bike.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5

om15

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 08:32:48 pm
Do you guys have any tips? I'd put it on the side stand and stand on the pegs but the sidestand doesnt give me much confidence

I thought that the OP was asking for alternate ideas. You can't kickstart a Bullet if the side stand is down, which is why I recommended using the centre stand, I hope that the OP finds it helpful.
current bikes
 2001 Bonneville 790,  RE Bullet 500 UCE

Previous, RE Classic 500, Classic 350 , RE Himalayan 2019, RE Interceptor 2020.
Triumph Trident 900, 2003 Bonneville 790 , Adventurer 900, T100 Bonneville, Street Twin. Tracer 700.  BSA C15, Yamaha XT500
Retired aircraft engineer South West

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 08:45:02 pm
So I can kickstart my C5 pretty reliably cold and on the centerstand (mainstand) but when it comes to kicking over the engine once is warm and when im sitting on it i can't really get it...

Good point about the sidestand being down! 😁
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5