Author Topic: Time for Another Project  (Read 12950 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 04:41:25 pm
Wow!
What a good find, Adrian!
Lucky you!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 10:15:39 pm
I just missed out on another one a couple of weeks previously by £2, determined not to be outbid on this one - up to a point- and got it for £113 (or $147) plus mail costs. They seem quite easy to come by at the moment, currently FIVE complete KC1s on ebay UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=BTH+KC1+magneto&_sacat=0

Only one of these already has the manual advance end plate - I sent the vendor a message asking what condition it was in and got no reply, so didn't bother with it.

There's a racing version of this magneto around too, the BKH1-TT. I am unlikely ever to find one.

A.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:25:59 pm by Adrian II »
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 12:08:17 am
Fantastic find(s)!Keep it up! ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 12:20:33 pm
Just for the record I thought I ought to mount the thing properly.

So here it is with no visible means of support.

Remember this?

That's how this works.

the main reason for the bolt-on test was to check that my attempts at machinging were accurate enough for the mag drive pinion and the idler pinion to mesh properly.

Fits pretty well. And relax...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 10:45:57 pm
After a long wait I got the main magneto back for the project today.

Dave Lindsley has done a wonderful job on refurbishing a totally clapped-out relic into a fully functional spark generator, and does it spark!. It even has that newly refurbished smell. Also the adavance/retard is on the right hand side, so the cable won't conflict with the cylinder at all. Might get the other one swapped over.

It didn't have an oil seal before, but he's fitted one, nice!

Meanwhile I managed to get a brass points cover for the spare mag from someone in a part of Australia that hasn't burnt down. The original would have been chromed but I shall probably let it go as is.

Maybe now it's time to get that engine built?

A.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 07:21:55 pm
Just for a bit of bling, I've gone for the racing magneto look with a repro points cover and adapter ring. nothing wrong with the "vanilla" points cover but this one also has a carbon brush and terminal to run a kill switch off it, as well as looking the business. It's actually molded black nylon, but it all looks OK with a quick spray of primer and Ford champagne gold. To go for the whole illusion I should probably use hex-head screws with the heads drilled and lock-wired.

A.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 08:50:05 pm
Nice looking unit!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 04:40:51 pm
Hey, it has been a while with this one, time to kick a bit more life back into this project.

Having briefly flirted with the idea of going over to a CGT 535 top end after seeing this done successfully (and decided against it, maybe another time?), I'm keeping with the AVL top-end.

That means, for me, at least, there has to be an iron barrel-type decompressor valve in the cylinder head. I have posted pictures of the successful conversion I carried out on my first AVL hybrid, and several AVL owners have since done the same. What I didn't do then was post any "how it's done" pictures, so if anyone is vaguely interested, I remembered to take some pictures this time.

OK, old ground first, here's what I want to end up with, sorry for posting these yet again.

Starting point then is a scabby 500 AVL head like this one. See those three fins above the spark plug hole in the middle? Not for long, you won't. Target acquired...

The actual head I'm using this time is off my old Electra-X, all that tuning work I put into it is not going to waste. It also scrubbed up nicely after my local finishers managed to strip/vapour blast the cruddy old powder coating off it. They cleaned up the cylinder too.

Having neither the milling machine nor the skills to use one, I found the best way to remove the three fins was with a rod saw blade in a humble hacksaw, using a finger sander (and a little help from a tungsten carbide burr for a die grinder in the hand-held drill) to clean the head up afterwards. The bolt-on carb stub from Mikuni Oz doesn't look as though it really belongs, despite being a good fit where it matters, but I shall be coming back to that in a few days.

Next job, center-punch for the correct location. The valve body has a 14 x 1.25mm thread (which is why twin-plugging an iron barrel engine is quite an easy task), I need to start the pilot drill just over 7mm from the edge of the combustion chamber. Too far in and it gets too close to the valve seats.

Because I want a nice accurate job it's off to the drill press.

I'm not best pleased when the drill bit deflects to the left by 2mm, of course I keep forgetting this is an el-cheapo drill press with a bit of slop in its vertical movement, which doesn't seem to like drilling fresh holes where the center-punch should tell it too. Once this poor workman had finished blaming the tools  :-[, it was time for a bit of un-planned die-grinder action to avoid any further foul-ups. This one. I bet Grumbern never has this happen...  ;)

I should have drilled it with the hand-held to start with, never mind. With a now un-missable hole for the pilot bore things were heading in the right direction once more, you can just see how this had been going wrong.

At last, the pilot hole is through, any bit in the drill press will now have a hole to follow.

Repeat in stages until - well the charts say 12.5mm tapping size for 14mm spark plug thread, but my 1/2" long series bit is fine. The drill press doesn't mess this one up.

Let's see if I can get THIS right, sorry for fuzzy picture,

And RELAX, the tap has cut a good thread all the way down (or up).  8) I won't be needing the insert kit, unlike last time.

Stay focused, Adrian...

Last job, counter-bore 7/8" to get the valve sitting at the right height/depth, with the head of the decomp valve level with the surface of the combustion chamber. I do have a secret weapon to flatten out the bottom of the counter-bore for the valve body's seat if needed, though I think the copper crush washer will manage by itself.

Hope this was of interest.

A.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 08:07:10 pm
Clean job, Adrian!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 08:38:46 pm
I admit I was starting to worry when the pilot drill began wandering off.  ::)

A.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 03:56:16 am
   Yes!
   Very neat job Adrian! And very glad to see the head was cleaned up properly by the blasters that cleaned up the head.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 06:03:24 pm
Beautiful work! Is the Electra head about the same as running the Hitchcocks Big Head? The combustion chamber & valve included angles look very nice. The port aperture pictures from another thread look very formidable.

The oil level gage in the tank will have no differential pressure "pumping" issues if the top of the gage vents directly back to the oil tank. That way the instantaneous pulse pressures are the same on top of the column as on the bottom, leaving just the fluid pressure to determine level.

Great, informative, educational stuff - thanks for sharing this project.  - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 09:44:37 pm
Rather than plumb the oil gauge back into the top of the oil tank I'm relying on extra oil tank breathers. Something like a model steam locomotive boiler water level gauge would be where you're coming from, I did find one, but it looked at bit vulnerable to be situated next to the heel of my right boot. The gauge I'm using has a partial brass shield.

The Hitchcocks' replica big head still has the classic hemi-head combustion chamber, though the one on my sort-of Fury replica has been re-worked to include a proper squish band. The AVL combustion chamber (which is pretty much unchanged for the EFI/UCE models) is a more modern design. Still, that's not the last word on AVL heads, have a look at tooseevee's Fireballed AVL head back in the archives, I assume the pictures are still up. It's a shame Ace didn't get a few more customers for this, I gather it's quite something.

Meanwhile, just a minor job, I had another look at that carb mount. Looks like it's just slapped on there, "yeah, good enough...". No.

OK, got 6mm Tufnol/Micarta? Check. 38mm hole-saw? Check. Time to play.

Some marking out, drilling, cutting and filing later, this emerges.

Which gives me this, at least it looks like it's trying to belong.

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 12:38:59 am
         I haven't commented, but I love what you're doing and I'm so F-ing jealous I might just have a hissy fit and roll on the floor kicking my feet so I haven't commented  :) :) :) Hozatt for coming full circle (jerk) with a sentence?

It just so happens that I just started and ran the '08 Acehead after a couple weeks before I looked here (I've been a bit busy with a 30' trench and a giant hole for a drywell) . I canNOT start it cold with the kickker so I just punch the PHD button and try not to feel bad about it. I just literally breathe on the button and it is running and sits there and idles just as it should (NO THROTTLE!). In about 15 seconds it will steadily increase to about a thousand. Perfection!  :)   

I can upload some pictures of Ace's excellent headwork, for which I will be eternally grateful and praise his talents and expertise to the heavens, if anyone's interested. I have also figured out the war between my camera and my (F*cking) Windows laptop so I MIGHT get some pics up of the new black exhaust. After Lo, these many weeks  ::) :)

It's been so bloody HOT here the birds are walking.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 12:03:40 pm
Yes, your new avatar shows the re-worked combustion chamber pretty well. Ages ago I put up a composite photo of the AVL fireball combustion chamber alongside a stock one, ACE might still have it somewhere.

No matter, whatever I manage to come up with you'll still have a very rare and (for AVL fans, at least!) desirable motorcycle.

A.