Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1836318 times)

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8235 on: March 16, 2022, 10:11:34 am
I know what l have to do just noticed they scratched the paint on the swinging arm when they delivered it, checked the bike but did not get down on my knees, l guess it’s out with the air brush or touch up brush with drop of cellulose to resolve this, thankfully not to much of an issue glad to say.

the possum

• Scooter
Reply #8236 on: March 20, 2022, 06:01:10 am
Just pushed it back into the shed and unloaded it after a big 8 day jolly around the country side. Just short of 2000 km's on a mix of country roads, country highways, freeway, and a bit of dirt thrown in. Mix of motels and camping.
Bike ran like a good thing most of the time and only two screws abandoned ship ( the screws that hold the end cap and cover strip for the starter motor ), replaced enroute and put some tape over them until I can get the Loctite applied.
Ran comfortably between 95 - 100 km/h where applicable, and the suspension got a good workout on some horror sections of road where the grain trucks have been running.
( Despite having a reasonably good rail network in New South Wales (Australia), the Grain Handling Authority moves a lot by road, which really annoys the locals and the shire councils that maintain the roads.)
Even picked up a trophy for the Longest Distance Single and another for Longest Distance Asian/Sub-Continent Machine with 1505 km's travelled to the site of the Ducati Owners Club of NSW, 40th Thunder Rally.
Another day on the tools coming for another oil change soon.
Tons of fun !

the possum

• Scooter
Reply #8237 on: March 28, 2022, 08:45:33 am
Service day today.
Engine oil and oil filter replaced- gee it was black ! Not too much swarf on the magnets, mesh screen clean.
Serviced air filter - washed out UniFilter in mineral turpentine, wrung out, dried and re-oiled.
There was some water in the airbox from a careful wash FFS !
Adjusted the chain and rolled it back into the shed.

Wifey is away so there was no one to bring me a mug of tea and a slice of cake - life is tough

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #8238 on: March 28, 2022, 02:51:08 pm
Service day today.
Engine oil and oil filter replaced- gee it was black ! Not too much swarf on the magnets, mesh screen clean.
Serviced air filter - washed out UniFilter in mineral turpentine, wrung out, dried and re-oiled.
There was some water in the airbox from a careful wash FFS !
Adjusted the chain and rolled it back into the shed.

Wifey is away so there was no one to bring me a mug of tea and a slice of cake - life is tough

Oh, the humanity! 

;D

Batching it is tough.   :(

8)
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #8239 on: March 28, 2022, 02:56:40 pm
Got home from the family emergency trip about 10 days ago, but have been too busy to do anything with the Rumbler.  Last night I hooked up the battery to the charger and topped it off, only took a couple of minutes at 2A setting. Then I started to put the battery back in place and was having a tough time doing it.  Then it sank in that my shed mate (the same guy that messes with my tools and wears my clothes) hadn't put the bike on the center stand - THAT's why the battery kept trying to slip out.  Once I popped it up onto the center stand the battery stayed put while attaching the terminals and adjusting the bracket to hold it in place. Once that was done I turned the key, punched the starter and she came alive! 

So this morning I dusted her off, wheeled her out of the garage, cranked her up and road into town to take care of some necessary chores.  It was good to be on two wheels again.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8240 on: March 28, 2022, 06:32:55 pm
Well l had to get the rpm down it was clonking in gear since l fitted free floe exhaust despite closing the throttle body screw closed it was still running fast after checking all hoses were ok l had to adjust the side screw on the butterfly which cured the issue after changing exhaust from standard the rpm went through the roof making the gearbox unruly.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8241 on: March 31, 2022, 11:34:56 pm
I hope not the one with the yellow paint on?
Off route, recalculate?

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8242 on: April 01, 2022, 02:42:41 am
Well l adjusted them both did l do wrong l tried the idle adjuster it did not make much difference even turned fully clockwise, so l adjusted that one as well, it’s still running a bit fast l feel though.

rattonshaw

• Scooter
  • Classic Long Distance Trials
Reply #8243 on: April 01, 2022, 09:43:16 am
Well l adjusted them both did l do wrong .....
:P You may well have done.  My understanding is that the stop screw (with the yellow paint) is set at the factory and should remain untouched. There may be some sort of a jig involved?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8244 on: April 01, 2022, 10:45:36 am
The butterfly is preset at, I think at 5°.
This angle of opening is matched to the voltage of the throttle position sensor of 0.60 volts.
If you have twiddle with the screw the butterfly will be at the wrong angle at tickover.
Also the TPS voltage will be wrong.
If your tickover was too high and turning the large brass air bypass screw in, did not slow it down? I would say you have an air leak on the inlet side somewhere.
Off route, recalculate?

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8245 on: April 01, 2022, 11:31:24 am
Well l checked all the hoses no splits or cracks unless the O ring is leaking on manifold so how do l reset that screw it runs ok but an Indian vid on you tube said you could adjust it, l may be able to align the paint marks up again l only turned it half a turn, l think l can get it back to setting.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8246 on: April 02, 2022, 08:33:43 am
Well l was lucky with the screw there was still paint on it so l was able to set back to original factory setting, the large brass screw would not turn because of the angle of the throttle body being stopped by the abs cover bracket which the angle locked the screw, l bent this out a little this enabled adjustment with more clearance space l was able to turn body further to the right to get screwdriver at correct angle, my initial thought was the brass screw was at end of travel in clockwise direction but it was not, the tick over is set to right RPM now the bike runs perfect with no backfiring smooth throughout the rev range, l will check the TPS voltage later on a meter but now all seems fine, the high RPM was causing a bit of bother selecting 1st gear but now it just slips in.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:49:49 am by Carl Fenn »

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8247 on: April 02, 2022, 04:57:15 pm
Excellent news.👍
Off route, recalculate?

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8248 on: April 03, 2022, 11:36:03 am
Thanks for taking time to help me Haggis.

xrbeast

• Scooter
Reply #8249 on: April 09, 2022, 03:57:00 pm
I installed a longer side-stand, one from Yamaha RXZ 135.  Now it doesn't lean so much.
Will keep a close watch on the stand, not sure it will hold up against the weight of the classic350. In any case, i will still park my bike on its centre stand for prolonged parking.