Author Topic: Honda CT-70 clone, AKA ST-70 or DAX  (Read 668 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: February 17, 2023, 06:44:31 pm
In 1969 my neighbor got a Honda Trail 70. He let me ride it and I was hooked! Not long after, my dad told me I had to stop borrowing his bike and get my own. I couldn't afford a shiny new bike like that so I used my paper route money to buy a used Honda S-90. Except for a few months lapses in sanity I haven't been without a bike since.

With a growing collection of four bikes already in my garage, 2 are projects in pieces, the last thing I needed was another bike. During these cold and damp months I have been wasting more time on Youtube than usual. In Honda's attempt to capture the nostalgia market, they have brought back a few iconic bikes. The Monkey 125 is the update of what was sold here as the Mini-Trail 50. The CT-125 Hunter Cub or 125 Trail in the US and the Super Cub 125 are all using the same 125 engine with some variations in the transmission. A few months ago they released the DAX 125. Goofy name but it is supposed to be short for dachshund  :o Anyway, that's the new version of my first love. But it has gotten heavy and complicated with fuel injection and ABS. Bigger wheels as well. This brings the price up over $4000.

Good used Trail 70s are selling for around $4000 for a fifty year old bike and I saw one sell for $10,000 at auction.

Seeing an opportunity, the Chinese have come up with their own version. Identical frame, proven 125 cc copy of the Honda engine, 4 speed semi automatic (no clutch), carburetor equipped, no ABS, no fancy electronics. In fact, using the kick start it doesn't even need a battery! It does have an electric start in case your leg falls off. Still has the original ten inch, bolt together steel wheels. It has the fold down handlebars so it fits in a small space.

The best part? $1500 delivered! Sure, you have to bolt on the front wheel and put air in the tires but that's about it! Street legal in 49 states. For those of you who live in the Golden State you will spend a few hundred more for a different name on the side and a bunch more rubber hoses. 

And speaking of name, the Chinese stickers peel right off and there's a guy who makes original style Honda stickers in several styles. Mine is an Ice Bear Champion. The California one is an Amigo Rocky. They can both be purchased through cajunmaddogs.com.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 02:20:02 am
Looks like a reasonable move to me. These stubby mini-clone 125s are plenty stout for their intended purpose. No reason to peel off stickers, just enjoy them for what they are. I don't think you are giving up anything with a small bore Lifan or Zongshen power plant. They aren't intended to be Hayabusas or ZX14's. I ride Indian pre-unit Bullets made in the 1990's & 2000's, functionally the same as the Redditch machines but sans the costs.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 05:10:28 pm
I put Lambretta emblems on my Chinese Royal Alloy scooter. I'm not trying to fool anyone, just another way to have fun.