Author Topic: Honda C125 Super Cub  (Read 2215 times)

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
on: February 09, 2023, 02:21:19 pm

In the "350 J platform" sub forum I started a thread about the Hunter which I'm very interested in.

BUT, this little Honda is a close second choice, sometimes winning the fight in my head to become first choice for a while....😄

Loads about it I love & quite a bit about it I hate (I hope not, but this thread will probably descend into a discussion about the "electronic key"....which is a "hate" for me). Electronic key aside, it's a lovely little bike.

Surprising, (to to my mind anyway) it has a lot in common with the smaller R.Es despite being a totally different animal.

Has anyone got one? Would like one?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 02:50:24 pm
My BMW R1200RS has a keyless ignition (including fork lock and gas cap opening) system. I thought I wouldn't like it as I was concerned about durability, but I have owned the bike for the past 8 years and the system has worked flawlessly. During that time I only had to change the key fob battery once. Now I like the keyless system better than using a key - which I sometimes accidentally leave in the ignition when I walk away from the bike. Just don't loose the fob as they are really expensive to replace.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 04:59:52 pm

Thanks Richard230, it’s good your experience with a smart key is a good one, I’d hope to have the same luck...

My gripe is it feels like (expensive) tech for techs sake, personally I don’t accidentally leave my keys in the ignition & don’t recall ever having a problem with a physical key in my near 40 years of riding.

I think I’m correct in saying the Honda Grom & Monkey that share the same engine have a “normal” old style key, the smart key seems out of place on a worldwide “work” bike, I think any cub (often lower spec) sold in other countries still has the physical key though the market that Honda is aiming at in Europe & the USA is more “retro toy” rather than only transport.

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 05:45:03 pm
I should maybe expand on the similarities as I see it between RE’s & the Cub.

Firstly is the owner mentality, I think the type is one who thinks for themselves & not necessarily swayed by media or hype.

MPG..... need I say more?

Price is similar, though it could be argued one is overpriced & one is underpriced, either way they aren’t priced on what they cost to build rather market forces & “what can be charged”.....

Speed & acceleration....or lack of, maybe more of the charm rather than less?

Looks, again very personal but definitely not “run of the mill”

And probably more that hasn’t occurred so far.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 10:06:29 pm
I would find 125 cc too small, although I can see the Honda Grom as a 'fun toy' type of bike.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 04:19:49 am
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 12:11:46 pm

BUT, this little Honda is a close second choice, sometimes winning the fight in my head to become first choice for a while....😄

Surprising, (to to my mind anyway) it has a lot in common with the smaller R.Es despite being a totally different animal.

Has anyone got one? Would like one?

Once I realized in 2019 that I wasn't going to be able to ride even my '08 AVL Classic any longer (I was having trouble even moving it out of & back into the garage) I put my name on the list for a 125 Super Cub at the local Honda dealer. It is a marvelous little bike that's sort of like alligators; they've been improved & improved almost to the point of perfection. That dealer STILL doesn't have one for me. Can't get 'em.

I did, however, also put my name on the list for a different one that I'd been researching for a long time which I finally DID get a call on in early summer '21 & I pulled the trigger on it & I love it! Most fun I've ever had at 35 MPH! & it's another Honda that has been being perfected for many, many years. And it keeps me on two wheels for a few more years.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 12:15:38 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 01:04:39 pm
 Hi Tooseevee which model did you get.

To be honest I love the Cub but it isn't the most practical in the Honda range.
I've heard of people struggling to get a Super Cub, here in Southern Spain it's the opposite, the dealer nearby had one in the showroom I could have had when I called in a few weeks ago, I said I'd think on it but what's it like to get another if that one sells, he was quite honest (which I respect rather than the hard sell B.S, which makes me more likely to return) & said they aren't selling here because there is no history of them, folks often haven't seen one before & if he did sell that one he'd be able to get another quickly 😮

But let us know what you've got & what you think of it. 👍
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:07:23 pm by Carl350 »

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 01:28:20 pm
I would find 125 cc too small.

I understand that, the cub has about half the hp of a RE 350 but less weight so tops out around 55mph.
    And real world fuel figures of 140mpg+(UK).

But it is like a moped/motorized bicycle where the R.E is definitely a motorcycle, then there's the R.Es exhaust note........

But both appeal to me in slightly different ways though they both tick the boxes I'm after-
Fun to ride.
Very economical.
Reliable (the cub is 10/10, I'd like to think the R.E Hunter is going to close, OK maybe not 10/10 but is looking promising so far).
Longevity.
Smaller than what I've had for years.
Good for commuting/shops.
Both can tour (yes they can!)
Both can be bought new (very little else on the market similar).
Different (from most other bikes on the road).
Home servicing/fixing (-1 for the Cubs smart key but hopefully it'll be Honda reliable).

There are other bikes but generally when built down to a price point are powered by "clone" engines, even from well known name manufacturers, while these may be fine in long run only time is gonna tell....

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 05:16:30 pm
This one I'll bet...
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 05:37:53 pm
The image doesn’t show for me but I see it’s labeled “trial 125”.

That’s what I originally sooo wanted but they are not available in Europe with as yet no proof of ever being so...
That’s what lead me to the Super Cub, and when I really thought about it I realised the Cub is more suited to my needs than the CT125 Trial, if I were to use the Trial off road it would only be gentle, nothing the Cub won’t do & I understand there’s about a 15mph difference top end in standard gearing, that would have t change because that’s too slow on some of the roads I have to use.
  I love the idea & look of the Trial though but it’s never gonna happen for me, I’m not prepared to go to the huge expense (in Spain) of a personal import which would be the only way.
Still, a super cool little Honda though 👍

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 07:43:47 pm
This one I'll bet...

Don't I wish  :) I don't think the dealer here in RI has ever Seen one let alone get one for little ol' me I was just lucky enough to get one of the one I got. But the one I got was NOT a 2nd choice. It was actually my 1st choice because I knew I'd never get a Trail. I'm VERY glad I got the one I got.

The one I got, waiting 2 1/2 whole seasons for, should be really easier for you now.

and now back to C125s
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 07:46:18 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 08:40:59 pm
35 MPH? How about the 125 Monkey? The Navi is newer but looks like a suitcase, the Monkey is very motorcycle-y. 5 speed, 230 pounds.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/2022-honda-monkey/

The 50cc Ruckus is another 35 MPH possibility, it's been around awhile. Very possibly as there's no clutch to deal with this is the one. It's a sub 200 pound machine, so rolling around the shop would be easier.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/2022-honda-ruckus/

The Honda ADV150 would be a contender, but it's way faster than 35 MPH and much heavier at 300 pounds.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/2022-honda-adv150/

So my guess is the Ruckus. The Monkey appeals, but more weight and a clutch to operate probably put it out of the running.  :-[

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 09:04:47 pm
Probably digressing but my second motorcycle years ago was a Honda CB160 twin , bought from King's motorcycle dealers in Leeds ,owned by the Hailwood family who had quite a famous racing motorcyclist in the family.
ps I will double check this later.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 04:22:18 am
Future Ruckus builds... ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2023, 11:40:53 am
35 MPH?
The 50cc Ruckus is another 35 MPH possibility, it's been around awhile. Very possibly as there's no clutch to deal with this is the one. It's a sub 200 pound machine, so rolling around the shop would be easier.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/2022-honda-ruckus/

You got it. The Ruckus it is & it was worth the 2 1/2 summer's wait. Coming from a lifelong harley rider I'm really loving the damn thing.

I'm gonna bite the bullet & give it its own subject line even though I have not taken even one picture of it yet. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:46:30 am by tooseevee »

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2023, 01:43:55 pm
yes, pic please!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 12:18:13 am
2CV meets some of the nicest people on a Honda... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 12:25:11 am by AzCal Retred »

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2023, 11:48:56 pm
2CV meets some of the nicest people on a Honda... ;D ;D ;D
I see the attraction now,I want one  :)

George S.

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 11:31:44 am
Got my wife a Honda Navi. Twist and go. It’s a lot of fun, it even moves my 200 lbs quickly.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 04:31:48 pm
Navi's are supposed to retail for about $1800, but in this area they seem to go for maybe +$500 above that, even used. Was that your experience?

https://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-advice/reviews/honda-navi-4000km-long-term-review/27486/

George S.

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2023, 01:53:42 pm
Navi's are supposed to retail for about $1800, but in this area they seem to go for maybe +$500 above that, even used. Was that your experience?

https://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-advice/reviews/honda-navi-4000km-long-term-review/27486/

When they first came out I went to my local dealer who advertised it at $1800. We saw 2 on the sales floor, so we sat in the sales office and it was all  wasted time because after all the chit chat they slid a paper across the desk --- $3500 with their price "adjustment" + all the dealer fees added. of course I walked out after giving them my "thoughts" of their practices.

I understood that no one was going to actually sell one for $1800, so I traveled a bit and got it for $2400 OTD. That was a year ago. IDK what they're going for now because even if I could see an advertised price, the real selling price will be higher because they'll come out with added fees.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 01:56:04 pm by George S. »