Author Topic: Are others getting this level of fuel economy?  (Read 5888 times)

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
on: November 30, 2022, 03:28:09 am
Topped off my '21 Interceptor today after 155 miles.  I always fill to the top fill mark on the filler neck, shake the bike a bit to remove any air bubbles.   Used 2.1 US gallons to reach the mark.   74 miles per gallon.  Not unusual for this bike, lately.   I ride easily, cruise at no more than 3600 rpm (60 mph) and acceleration rarely sees above 4000 rpm.  Gas today in Central Texas was $2.63/gallon.  Throttle response indicates no evidence of an overly lean mixture. 

Are others getting this sort of fuel economy?  Bike has 5200 miles since I bought it new, just 2 years ago. 

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 03:49:42 am
1… at 60mph in my top gear I’m turning about 3800 rpm (as measured by factory tach)
2… best tank I have ever gotten was 64 mpg US. I average 57 mpg US… currently I’m getting 52 mpg US….
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7l qd2
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

All about anything fast enough to do something stupid with.

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 04:21:13 am
1… at 60mph in my top gear I’m turning about 3800 rpm (as measured by factory tach)
2… best tank I have ever gotten was 64 mpg US. I average 57 mpg US… currently I’m getting 52 mpg US….
That sounds pretty much like my experience.
I have gotten as low as 52 and as high as 66. Mostly in the high 50s.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 05:05:03 am
That sounds pretty much like my experience.
I have gotten as low as 52 and as high as 66. Mostly in the high 50s.

Oh man…. I was hoping it was the 20w-50 v-twin oil in my crank case and switching to a 5w-40 or a 0w-40 would fix that…
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 05:32:13 am

Running a 16T I’m averaging 60mpg US, worst 57.7, best 69. Bike isn’t nursed, but isn’t flogged constantly either.
I’m not surprised by Ralph’s economy, that’s extremely gentle riding.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 06:51:16 am
Running a 16T I’m averaging 60mpg US, worst 57.7, best 69. Bike isn’t nursed, but isn’t flogged constantly either.
I’m not surprised by Ralph’s economy, that’s extremely gentle riding.

Stock gearing and otherwise same as you about 25lm/l or so.  Don't review it out much but use wide throttle openings when hustling.  I have never been one to get great fuel economy.  Even so, there are numerous claims of 30km/l plus I assume it it just tootling and minimal acceleration.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

mowerman2005

• Bulleteer
  • 2021 Continental GT650 Ventura Storm
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 08:26:48 am
i average about 18m/l ( approx 70-75 mpg in UK gallons) that is about 27km/l??? Usually a combination of normal town riding with a bit of faster riding (70 - 80 mph) where roads allow.... i don't commute and its only used for fun rides out in good weather (when it decides to run properly...I only use super unleaded with 5% ethanol as it does'nt run well on the 10% stuff!!  :( ) however here in the UK we are going into winter so I cant see much riding now until there is a break in the wet weather lol. 

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 08:55:39 am
i average about 18m/l ( approx 70-75 mpg in UK gallons) that is about 27km/l??? Usually a combination of normal town riding with a bit of faster riding (70 - 80 mph) where roads allow.... i don't commute and its only used for fun rides out in good weather (when it decides to run properly...I only use super unleaded with 5% ethanol as it does'nt run well on the 10% stuff!!  :( ) however here in the UK we are going into winter so I cant see much riding now until there is a break in the wet weather lol.
Don't worry, it will be clear by April.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

lavrentyuk

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 09:02:01 am
I get about 70-80 mpg (Imperial gallons) which is 60-70 mpg (US).  Seems pretty good to me.

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 10:05:47 am
I had to  use my calulator for this. In US gallons the best my bike will do is 66,24 mpg.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 10:59:07 am

What's the "top fill mark"?

My filler neck has no marks.

Overfilling is a bad thing..(charcoal canister)

I fill with the bike on the side stand, and only until the fuel contacts (barely) the BOTTOM of the neck.

If I run low on fuel, we have these things around here called "Gas stations" where they will put more fuel into the tank for you.

If you're crossing the Gobi desert or the like, that extra 2 ounces of fuel isn't going to make much of a difference!

Cookie

Topped off my '21 Interceptor today after 155 miles.  I always fill to the top fill mark on the filler neck, shake the bike a bit to remove any air bubbles.   Used 2.1 US gallons to reach the mark.   74 miles per gallon.  Not unusual for this bike, lately.   I ride easily, cruise at no more than 3600 rpm (60 mph) and acceleration rarely sees above 4000 rpm.  Gas today in Central Texas was $2.63/gallon.  Throttle response indicates no evidence of an overly lean mixture. 

Are others getting this sort of fuel economy?  Bike has 5200 miles since I bought it new, just 2 years ago. 

Ralph

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 12:43:04 pm
What's the "top fill mark"?

My filler neck has no marks.

Overfilling is a bad thing..(charcoal canister)

I fill with the bike on the side stand, and only until the fuel contacts (barely) the BOTTOM of the neck.

If I run low on fuel, we have these things around here called "Gas stations" where they will put more fuel into the tank for you.

If you're crossing the Gobi desert or the like, that extra 2 ounces of fuel isn't going to make much of a difference!

Cookie

I fill every morning on my way to work on the center stand to the top pin hole on the right side of the splash guard. That first half gallon is gone before it even has a chance to sit around.
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

Graham B

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 01:05:45 pm
I regularly see over 70mpg (UK). Best I've seen is 77mpg and that was a ride into and out of London due to a train strike. The rest was motorway and fast A roads.
Past rides
Honda C70, CB125, GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500
Suzuki GT250, GS400
Triumph Tiger 750 (Meriden)
Yamaha XS750

Current rides
Honda GL1500 Goldwing
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

hammer

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 01:33:36 pm
 183 miles to empty on my 16 tooth INT. I start looking for gas at 150 miles to be safe.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 01:37:31 pm
that's overfill!  You will get liquid gas into your charcoal canister....then you can suck raw fuel into your engine when the purge valve opens.

Do you really need those 4 ounces?

Do it your way, who cares?

Cookie

I fill every morning on my way to work on the center stand to the top pin hole on the right side of the splash guard. That first half gallon is gone before it even has a chance to sit around.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 01:53:15 pm

Here is what the manual says.....

If you think you know better then do it your way!

Cookie

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 02:52:22 pm
I get exactly 65.00534 miles to the Arizona gallon. I usually fill to 2/79 inch measured from the bottom of the filler neck using a Mykota precision caliper calibrated at a NASA research facility. Compensated by temperature and average humidity, of course.
The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 11:42:45 pm
I get exactly 65.00534 miles to the Arizona gallon. I usually fill to 2/79 inch measured from the bottom of the filler neck using a Mykota precision caliper calibrated at a NASA research facility. Compensated by temperature and average humidity, of course.

Mitutoyo, maybe?

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 12:34:12 am
Mitutoyo, maybe?

Phil

Correct. Gibberish is my native language.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 02:24:26 am
Correct. Gibberish is my native language.

I searched up Mykota in case there was a measuring tool brand I hadn't heard of worth considering. You can't have too many measuring tools.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 02:58:23 am

Here is what the manual says.....

If you think you know better then do it your way!

Cookie

Wow man… I’ve never read an owners manual before. Thank you for pointing out the error in my ways. I will make maximum effort to change my ways so you can be vindicated in the eyes of everybody reads this thread
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2022, 03:09:23 am
Dude....take a chill pill.....fill the gas way up the neck if it makes you happy!

Cookie

Wow man… I’ve never read an owners manual before. Thank you for pointing out the error in my ways. I will make maximum effort to change my ways so you can be vindicated in the eyes of everybody reads this thread

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: December 01, 2022, 10:51:01 am
Dude....take a chill pill.....fill the gas way up the neck if it makes you happy!

Cookie

Dude, you’re the one that had to make 3 posts about why you’re right. Maybe you are. Maybe it could happen… but in the dozens of fuel injected cars and bikes I’ve had it hasn’t happened yet. I’m not worried about it… but that extra 2 liters makes a difference on the cruising range. I have literally run out of gas under the sign that says “gas 1 mile”
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 11:27:11 am
Poor planning?  ;D

I have literally run out of gas under the sign that says “gas 1 mile”
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:32:53 am by twocoolgliders »

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 01, 2022, 11:42:05 am

Cookie
What about the GT without a centre stand?
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 01, 2022, 12:53:48 pm
not sure I understand the question.

My INT has no center stand.  I just fill until the gas just barley comes up to the "splash guard".   The angle of the bike makes almost no difference.

we are talking plus or minus like 1 or 2 ounces here......not to worry!

Some guys fill the tank while sitting on the bike, thus the bike is level.

In the event of a drip or  spill...that's raw gas in the crotch.    hmmmm

(I've had leaky hoses too)

In the very rare chance of fire.....hot crotch?

Cookie

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2022, 12:56:07 pm
https://rotopax.com/1-gallon-gasoline.html

for my friends who have "range anxiety"

I use one of these on my Super Cub, which has only a one gallon tank and 100 mile range (on a good day)

Cookie

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #27 on: December 01, 2022, 01:27:11 pm
not sure I understand the question.

My INT has no center stand.  I just fill until the gas just barley comes up to the "splash guard".   The angle of the bike makes almost no difference.

we are talking plus or minus like 1 or 2 ounces here......not to worry!

Some guys fill the tank while sitting on the bike, thus the bike is level.

In the event of a drip or  spill...that's raw gas in the crotch.    hmmmm

(I've had leaky hoses too)

In the very rare chance of fire.....hot crotch?

Cookie
Cookie you almost always spark interesting thoughts.

It is pouring rain here today and forecast to stay for a couple of days so I won't get to check out your premise.
I do agree about the danger of gas-soaking the canister.

That aside for a moment: If on the side stand you fill to about half way up the splash shield. Then stand the bike upright and refill to the same level. The pump will tell you how many tenths of a gallon that takes.
Using 60 mpg (for easy math)... every tenth equals 6 miles.
Remembering that the volume of the tank is greatest above the tunnel inside, widest. Even more so on a INT.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 01, 2022, 01:52:04 pm
I think its hilarious how we go into such tiny detail about the most boring and mundane subjects. (Myself included) I imagine all forums are the same in that regard.

I just imagine a Barbie doll forum where there are ten pages of threads about whether it is best to dress all your Barbies in winter clothing in December, and if the patterns match, and if they don't, which vendors carry the best quality of Winter Barbie gear, and if the vintage Barbie Winter jacket is superior to the new products, and if is proper to use Barbie underwear, or if you can substitute Chinese underwear since no one sees it, and the approximate thread count for proper Barbie Winter boots, and if there is a substitute for genuine Mattel fabric conditioner, and why Barbie hair has similarities to Congalese Umbatu warrior pubic hair, etc, etc.

Yes, just this once, I am laughing out loud. Sometimes I make myself laugh.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 01, 2022, 01:57:17 pm
What does it matter?  Are you crossing some uninhabited area which has no gas stations?

Are you really counting on that extra 1/10 gallon?  You are cutting it that close?

Go 150 miles then fill up.  (or 100 miles, or 80 miles)

Or ride for 2 hours, then take a stretch break and fill up.

Or fill up when you are on the last mark on the fuel gauge

Or really full up when the gauge starts blinking.

Coming from the world of aviation....we never f-ck around with the fuel...we plan carefully, and allow generous reserve.  We plan fuel stops enroute, and allow for unforeseen problems.

When the slightest doubt, we land and tank up.

Yes idiots still run out of gas in their airplanes!  (because they are stupid)

Cookie

Cookie you almost always spark interesting thoughts.

It is pouring rain here today and forecast to stay for a couple of days so I won't get to check out your premise.
I do agree about the danger of gas-soaking the canister.

That aside for a moment: If on the side stand you fill to about half way up the splash shield. Then stand the bike upright and refill to the same level. The pump will tell you how many tenths of a gallon that takes.
Using 60 mpg (for easy math)... every tenth equals 6 miles.
Remembering that the volume of the tank is greatest above the tunnel inside, widest. Even more so on a INT.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 01, 2022, 02:01:24 pm
Once in a while I have to take myself off of  this forum...for a month of so....to regain reality and sanity!

But inane as it is....I find it entertaining!

I've gotten lots of good hints and tips and from this forum.  I wouldn't have figured out by myself.

And some laughs..

Then there is the deep bullshit...

Cookie

I think its hilarious how we go into such tiny detail about the most boring and mundane subjects. (Myself included) I imagine all forums are the same in that regard.

I just imagine a Barbie doll forum where there are ten pages of threads about whether it is best to dress all your Barbies in winter clothing in December, and if the patterns match, and if they don't, which vendors carry the best quality of Winter Barbie gear, and if the vintage Barbie Winter jacket is superior to the new products, and if is proper to use Barbie underwear, or if you can substitute Chinese underwear since no one sees it, and the approximate thread count for proper Barbie Winter boots, and if there is a substitute for genuine Mattel fabric conditioner, and why Barbie hair has similarities to Congalese Umbatu warrior pubic hair, etc, etc.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 01, 2022, 02:28:47 pm
You can easily add the center stand to the GT.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 01, 2022, 03:11:05 pm

Just to get 2 more ounces of fuel?

I know, I know...you prefer the center stand for many other reasons...we already had that thread!

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #33 on: December 01, 2022, 03:20:30 pm
How are you guys measuring this mpg.Is it full tank miles to empty tank.?
Freedom.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 01, 2022, 03:46:52 pm
I measure full at precisely 2.34mm from the bottom of the filler neck to empty with precisely .43 gallons as measured using a precision laboratory calibrated beaker.

After that, I fill it using the rhythm method.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #35 on: December 01, 2022, 04:04:29 pm
I measure full at precisely 2.34mm from the bottom of the filler neck to empty with precisely .43 gallons as measured using a precision laboratory calibrated beaker.

After that, I fill it using the rhythm method.
Bullshit.What about the specific gravity and temperature allowance not to mention the variation of tank size manufacturing depth  tolerance within +or - 5mm.
(Lucky Phil were only joking)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 04:18:24 pm by James. »
Freedom.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 01, 2022, 04:24:00 pm
What about those that don't want to, they are being discriminated against at an instruction manual level.
Jess, before you fitted your centre stand, how did you know where and how much fuel to put in without the bike self destructing in a ball of flame.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 01, 2022, 04:27:49 pm
Bullshit.What about the specific gravity and temperature allowance not to mention the variation of tank size manufacturing depth  tolerance within +or - 5mm.
(Lucky Phil were only joking)

I humbly bow to your higher level of bullshit. I am not worthy.

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 01, 2022, 04:33:23 pm
For those who are scared about missing the last petrol station.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #39 on: December 01, 2022, 04:37:20 pm

I humbly bow to your higher level of bullshit. I am not worthy.
I have seen your other posts your the king.🤪
Freedom.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 01, 2022, 04:37:36 pm
That's how I carry my emergency tequila here in Arizona.

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: December 01, 2022, 04:52:51 pm
That's how I carry my emergency tequila here in Arizona.
Not sufficient, just good for half a gallon.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 01, 2022, 05:06:04 pm
Just set trip meter to 0 at fill up. Then at next fill up divide number of miles by number of gallons. (Km & liters if applicable). Repeat across several fuel stops and find average.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #43 on: December 01, 2022, 05:06:30 pm
What does it matter?  Are you crossing some uninhabited area which has no gas stations?

Are you really counting on that extra 1/10 gallon?  You are cutting it that close?

Go 150 miles then fill up.  (or 100 miles, or 80 miles)

Or ride for 2 hours, then take a stretch break and fill up.

Or fill up when you are on the last mark on the fuel gauge

Or really full up when the gauge starts blinking.

Coming from the world of aviation....we never f-ck around with the fuel...we plan carefully, and allow generous reserve.  We plan fuel stops enroute, and allow for unforeseen problems.

When the slightest doubt, we land and tank up.

Yes idiots still run out of gas in their airplanes!  (because they are stupid)

Cookie
Yes. Yes, I ride in areas without gas stations.
I anticipate that your answer will be ~ well, just don't go there.
Sadly, for now, I have to leave my RE at home and take different bike.
_ Our exchange was to help better understand maximum range... not if one lives "in town".
IF this notion of the canister saturation really matters. I think it does. You say that you have yanked your charcoal box but are still afraid to fill the tank fully. WTF ???
_ We all know that the gas gauge on motorcycles are iffy. Some more than others. Knowing how much less gas we get filling from the side stand should matter. Don't know how much X-country flying you do but I think you will agree that sometimes you need to calculate how stiff was that headwind for the first 2 hours of my flight. Obviously it matters less if one is doing local VFR hops. Sometimes, I ride the the last 40 miles of leg up in the mountains at dramatically reduced speeds.
_ So I think knowing the starting fuel volume makes sense.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 01, 2022, 05:07:22 pm
Just set trip meter to 0 at fill up. Then at next fill up divide number of miles by number of gallons. (Km & liters if applicable). Repeat across several fuel stops and find average.

You are assuming we as smart as you and know math.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: December 01, 2022, 05:08:00 pm
What about those that don't want to, they are being discriminated against at an instruction manual level.
Jess, before you fitted your centre stand, how did you know where and how much fuel to put in without the bike self destructing in a ball of flame.
Had center stand waiting in garage before bikevwas delivered.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: December 01, 2022, 05:09:40 pm
You are assuming we as smart as you and know math.
Hopefully you are smart enough to use a calculator, if not maybe you should reconsider driving a vehicle on public roads?

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: December 01, 2022, 05:37:21 pm
Poor planning?  ;D

Nope, just several gas stations in the mountains where I lived that lost their power in a snow storm. I had already put the last of our gas in the generator and was headed to the gas station to get gas…. Had to drive and extra 30 miles to get to a station with power.
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #48 on: December 01, 2022, 05:43:44 pm
For those who are scared about missing the last petrol station.
Those are very handy.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 01, 2022, 05:47:56 pm
Had center stand waiting in garage before bikevwas delivered.
You deserted before joining!
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: December 01, 2022, 06:04:59 pm
You deserted before joining!
Don’t understand this sentence.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #51 on: December 01, 2022, 06:26:38 pm

Well, that made me laugh too!  ;D

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: December 01, 2022, 07:28:13 pm
Don’t understand this sentence.
You never tried to tough it out as a true rufty tufty GT rider having to fill up on the side stand with no proper instructions in the handbook.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #53 on: December 01, 2022, 07:45:33 pm

Use a fuel app. Quick and accurate record (unlike staring into a fuel tank) and it does the math/conversions for you.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:04 pm
You never tried to tough it out as a true rufty tufty GT rider having to fill up on the side stand with no proper instructions in the handbook.
Nope, when I read the specs and saw a deleted center stand I knew that would never do for me.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650

hammer

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: December 01, 2022, 08:50:17 pm
 How much more gas can you get into the tank with the bike on the centerstand vs. the sidestand ?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: December 01, 2022, 09:21:15 pm
Another less combative way to carry more fuel - just get a larger tank. These guys custom build whatever you think you want.

https://www.royalenfieldzone.com/fuel_tanks.asp

" We can provide Fuel Tanks for All models of Royal Enfield customized and larger capacities fuel tanks of up to 36 litres are also available with us. We also provide design tanks according to customers taste. "
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: December 01, 2022, 09:39:04 pm
Another less combative way to carry more fuel - just get a larger tank. These guys custom build whatever you think you want.

https://www.royalenfieldzone.com/fuel_tanks.asp

" We can provide Fuel Tanks for All models of Royal Enfield customized and larger capacities fuel tanks of up to 36 litres are also available with us. We also provide design tanks according to customers taste. "
I like the idea of a GT tank with more capacity, but I wonder the cost$. 

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: December 01, 2022, 10:10:46 pm
Hopefully you are smart enough to use a calculator, if not maybe you should reconsider driving a vehicle on public roads?

I will take that under advisement. At my skill level, my safest transport might be a mobility scooter.

By the way, the little saddlebag container is great for carrying brake fluid. I find a swig of DOT 4 now and again keeps me motivated.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: December 01, 2022, 10:23:33 pm

In addition to where it's made.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: December 01, 2022, 10:36:58 pm
none....just tried it!

Filled to "just touching" the splash guard with the bike on the paddock stand.  (level)

The put the bike on the side stand.

Fuel touched 1/2 of the splash guard left side, no fuel touching the right side.

Essentially the same !

Cookie

How much more gas can you get into the tank with the bike on the centerstand vs. the sidestand ?

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: December 01, 2022, 10:40:56 pm
This discussion is getting ridiculous and hilarious!

If you need longer range out of your RE 650.....and one or two ounces make a difference...then you are cutting it way too close for comfort!

If you are driving places where no fuel is available, for distances longer than the RE650's range...then you have two choices:  Carry auxiliary fuel...or take another bike with more range.

Cookie

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: December 01, 2022, 11:00:41 pm
https://bonvent-motorbikes.com/vintage-rally-tank-cover-royal-enfield-interceptor-continental/

It gives you at least the illusion of having a bigger tank.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: December 01, 2022, 11:02:23 pm
This discussion is getting ridiculous and hilarious!

If you need longer range out of your RE 650.....and one or two ounces make a difference...then you are cutting it way too close for comfort!

If you are driving places where no fuel is available, for distances longer than the RE650's range...then you have two choices:  Carry auxiliary fuel...or take another bike with more range.

Cookie
I always find myself filling up after around 90 miles. Thats usually an hour & a half to two hours and by then I want a few minutes off the bike.
 Still I have range anxiety when I think about the tank's range of around 150 miles.
 Totally illogical and irrational I know. I need to get over it, I’m never pushing the range and where I live & ride there are fuel stations everywhere, never more than 20 miles apart at most and usually 2 or 3 stations every 5 miles.

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: December 01, 2022, 11:25:37 pm
I fill up everytime i go for a ride, even if the tank is still half full. And as for fuel economy, i wouldn't know as I've never measured it.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: December 01, 2022, 11:41:48 pm
Sure!  I always start off with a full tank...just in case..

I keep a few 5 gallon canisters with non-ethanol gas in my shop.

I use one of those battery powered transfer pumps....neat and easy!

I don't care about fuel economy.

I figure 160 mile range, but usually fill way befor that.

Cookie

I fill up everytime i go for a ride, even if the tank is still half full. And as for fuel economy, i wouldn't know as I've never measured it.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: December 02, 2022, 12:03:03 am
@ #59: Go on their website & ask about it, they will respond. Likely in the $300-$400 range. As a custom you could get actual inset rubber tank pads and a tank rack. They do paint, chrome, and actual copper is an option too. 25L seems to be a popular size, nearly 7 gallons when full. That'd get the GT neatly 400 miles down the highway, about 7 "old guy" rest break units.  ;)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #69 on: December 02, 2022, 12:14:07 am
https://bonvent-motorbikes.com/vintage-rally-tank-cover-royal-enfield-interceptor-continental/

Interesting stuff beyond the tank cover. Rear fender and side panels are different.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: December 02, 2022, 12:39:09 am
@ #59: Go on their website & ask about it, they will respond. Likely in the $300-$400 range. As a custom you could get actual inset rubber tank pads and a tank rack. They do paint, chrome, and actual copper is an option too. 25L seems to be a popular size, nearly 7 gallons when full. That'd get the GT neatly 400 miles down the highway, about 7 "old guy" rest break units.  ;)
Tank pads & Tank Rack, definitely not my thing.

Neubert_BH

• Scooter
Reply #71 on: December 02, 2022, 05:21:10 pm
Stock gearing and otherwise same as you about 25lm/l or so.  Don't review it out much but use wide throttle openings when hustling.  I have never been one to get great fuel economy.  Even so, there are numerous claims of 30km/l plus I assume it it just tootling and minimal acceleration.

Well, considering that gasoline here in Brazil has an addition of 27.5 percent Ethanol. The best consumption average obtained in my interceptor was 28.6Km/l. Traveling at an average speed of 90km/h.
But currently RE has done a remap enriching the mixture a bit on the bikes to solve a pre-ignition issue on the Brazilian Twins. So I still haven't averaged consumption after this remap.
Neubert Borges

Interceptor 650 Ravishing Red
Suzuki Intruder 125 - Red
Belo Horizonte - Minas Gerais

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: December 02, 2022, 05:48:25 pm
@ #70: Plain tanks available as well up to 35L. As it's custom, you could probably get any shape you are willing to sketch out. All just an email away.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: December 02, 2022, 06:35:15 pm
Well, considering that gasoline here in Brazil has an addition of 27.5 percent Ethanol. The best consumption average obtained in my interceptor was 28.6Km/l. Traveling at an average speed of 90km/h.
But currently RE has done a remap enriching the mixture a bit on the bikes to solve a pre-ignition issue on the Brazilian Twins. So I still haven't averaged consumption after this remap.
That’s very impressive given your fuel is going to have almost 10% less energy the ordinary petrol
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: December 02, 2022, 10:10:29 pm

Kinda like looking at your johnson with a magnifying glass to make you feel better.

In my mind, if it doesn't make your bike work better, make it more useful, more powerful, handle better, or be more comfortable or safe, then it is a useless fashion accessory. Although I did add two stickers to my bike, so there's that. To each his or her own.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: December 02, 2022, 10:45:16 pm
i'd be happy with 15 L capacity for my gt650.

25L? 35L? that seems nuts to me. this bike already feels super top heavy enough.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: December 03, 2022, 04:28:08 am
Carrying more fuel as a response to range anxiety is easier & more conveniently done in the fuel tank than via strap-on bottle, unless that's the only financial option. Having a 25L-35L tank (or even OEM 14L) doesn't mean that it needs to be constantly "to the brim". It does however give one the option of having a comfortable +6 gallons on board, likely a day's travel for most. As long as you are near civilization, high fuel tank capacity is a non-issue.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #77 on: December 03, 2022, 11:41:38 am
Carrying more fuel as a response to range anxiety is easier & more conveniently done in the fuel tank than via strap-on bottle, unless that's the only financial option. Having a 25L-35L tank (or even OEM 14L) doesn't mean that it needs to be constantly "to the brim". It does however give one the option of having a comfortable +6 gallons on board, likely a day's travel for most. As long as you are near civilization, high fuel tank capacity is a non-issue.
Yup.
Last winter I decided that I would do pretty much exactly that for exactly those reasons. Now that winter has returned, I'll finish up that project. I'll revive that thread in the next week or so.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=32140.msg390632#msg390632
Love this photo from @ceekay
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:02:55 pm by NVDucati »

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: December 03, 2022, 12:46:49 pm
In my mind, if it doesn't make your bike work better, make it more useful, more powerful, handle better, or be more comfortable or safe, then it is a useless fashion accessory.
I wouldn't buy a fake tank, too. But there is a market for it, otherwise they wouldn't sell it.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: December 03, 2022, 02:24:38 pm
… then it is a useless fashion accessory...
No such thing.
Who cares how fast you go if you aren’t fashionable!

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: December 03, 2022, 03:37:19 pm

In my mind, if it doesn't make your bike work better, make it more useful, more powerful, handle better, or be more comfortable or safe, then it is a useless fashion accessory.
So, why did you buy the RE 650 instead of a dynamically superior SV650.

Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: December 03, 2022, 09:53:27 pm
looks like I'm a luck guy, my Interceptor is good for 300K range.  Thats 12L used so 1.5 left.  Gentle touring 320 with 1.5 left.
I fill at 280 to 300 no probs

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: December 04, 2022, 12:20:57 am
Nothing special...that's about "normal" or "average"

that's about 60 mpg (in USA terms) and about 25 miles in reserve...

Cookie

looks like I'm a luck guy, my Interceptor is good for 300K range.  Thats 12L used so 1.5 left.  Gentle touring 320 with 1.5 left.
I fill at 280 to 300 no probs

ReddingRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #83 on: December 04, 2022, 12:52:27 am
I checked my mileage once  shortly after getting the bike  -- 64 mpg. I don't generally ride aggressively.
2016 F700GS
2021 INTerceptor 650

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #84 on: December 12, 2022, 04:50:33 am
\

I missed this post earlier.  My RPM is lower at 60 as I have a 16T countershaft sprocket.  Makes a 300 rpm difference at 60 mph.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.