Author Topic: Honda's answer to the interceptor?  (Read 8338 times)

jackthebiker

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: November 26, 2022, 04:29:16 pm
I'm very sure that all of these bikes are as easy to handle as the Enfields are. It's probably just the optical appearance - the gas tank on a Triumph looks heavier (it isn't much bigger, just one liter more). Maybe it's the black engine, maybe it's the cooler, maybe the side panels are bigger, maybe the peashoother looks more massive as our pipes. I don't know...
I think the Bonneville has just 15 kg more as an Interceptor, which is not a big number. In the worst case it's only my personal prejudice.
That extra 1 liter might get you home some day.   ;)
48 motorcycles purchased in my life from 12 different brands. Currently own a 2022 Royal Enfield 650 INT and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #31 on: November 26, 2022, 04:35:45 pm
The closer a bike gets to looking like a '68 Triumph Bonneville, the more beautiful it is.

Japanese styling went off the rails when they started "flowing" gas tanks into side covers, and covering the ugly bits with plastic.  The classic British bikes were beautiful because every part was styled.  They were a collection of beautiful parts. 

What part of that CL500 is beautiful?  It desperately needs to be wrapped in plastic.
The interceptor isn't exactly plastic free.I will start with the mudguards or fenders as our American friend say and and there's more.
Freedom.

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #32 on: November 26, 2022, 04:37:29 pm
I got asked for the 100th time yesterday what year my bike was.
It seems the average person has a pretty good idea of what looks retro.
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 26, 2022, 04:39:03 pm
That extra 1 liter might get you home some day.   ;)
Maybe. Up to now I didn't understood our gas display. It shows "full" for a long time, then it turns into nervous blinking pretty fast. Arrived happily at the gas station, I always realized that there are still 3 liters or more in the tank. I'm sure at the day I will ignore it, I will have to pay the bill.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:44:03 pm by Karl Steel »

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #34 on: November 26, 2022, 04:40:26 pm
How's your Honda post going James.
Ach aye fine.😆
Freedom.

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 26, 2022, 04:43:22 pm
The interceptor isn't exactly plastic free.I will start with the mudguards or fenders as our American friend say and and there's more.
Me too. I already replaced the chain protector by a stainless steel version. And I bought used hitchcocks alu fenders for a decent price. Baak has some side panels, stainless steel for 150€. Even if they are heavier and less practical, I will go for them. At the end I have to buy a Li-Ion battery to get back the wasted kilos. I'm some kind of anorexic.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 05:02:58 pm by Karl Steel »

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #36 on: November 26, 2022, 04:45:46 pm
I got asked for the 100th time yesterday what year my bike was.
It seems the average person has a pretty good idea of what looks retro.
I think it's more they think it's an old looking bike.
Freedom.

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: November 26, 2022, 04:50:36 pm
It’s another soulless Honda…. If I had wanted a Rebel based bike, I would’ve bought a Rebel. Honda needs to return to the day they would rail coke off of a hooker’s ass and design a cool looking fast motorcycle.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7l qd2
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

All about anything fast enough to do something stupid with.

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #38 on: November 26, 2022, 05:04:06 pm
Let's not forget _ Honda needed a "new" A2  compliant bike. Huge market and new riders are always a key to brand loyalty.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: November 26, 2022, 05:45:31 pm
Yes but the plastic fenders are not there to cover up ugly water cooled engine parts. They are in fact a light weight replacement for a critical part of the bike. If they were not there heavy metal ones that look virtually identical would be.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #40 on: November 26, 2022, 06:09:03 pm
Yes but the plastic fenders are not there to cover up ugly water cooled engine parts. They are in fact a light weight replacement for a critical part of the bike. If they were not there heavy metal ones that look virtually identical would be.
Jess listen up.The Interceptor was built to a budget.The plastic fenders and other plastic covers are a cost saving excercise

Freedom.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #41 on: November 26, 2022, 06:13:12 pm
In hindsight this post should have been called Honda's answer to the RE twins.A competitive alternative and not meant as a retro alternative.
Freedom.

MikeAlpha

• Grease Monkey
  • Germany, 2020 Interceptor 650, 2022 Guzzi V7 Sp.
Reply #42 on: November 26, 2022, 06:16:00 pm
Huge market and new riders are always a key to brand loyalty.

Does that really exist, brand loyalty for Japanese bikes? At least in my vicinity over the last 30 years it didn't. Here people more tended to buy bikes they consider better for their current purpose or look cooler. And did not care at all if it's a Honyasuka.

IMO brand loyalty exists for brands like Harley or Ducati though.
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Baker Express - 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 Special - 2022

Black Forest, Germany

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 26, 2022, 06:16:15 pm
I get your authentic retro point of view but EFI,ABS and an ECU controller doesn't make the interceptor an  authentic retro motorcycle.There are a bunch of bearded old men shouting fuel injection, sacrilege!

I’m not one who cares about what the Interceptor is or isn’t, I’m too young to have anything positive to feel about British twins etc but engines I do care about.

A large part of the Interceptor’s character comes from the new build air/oil cooled twin. This is nothing like the feel of a jewel like a Honda liquid cooled engine do for me the bike I’d just a styling exercise.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:20:44 pm by whippers »
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: November 26, 2022, 06:24:54 pm
In addition to my '04 Guzzi "Breva 750", I have a '17 Honda CB-500F (same chassis and engine as the subject CL-500) and a '21 Interceptor 650".   Certainly, in the engine area the Interceptor wins hands down.  The Interceptor has a vastly more torquey engine and much better gearchange.  The Interceptor's engine is so flexible that I believe it would be just fine with a 4 speed (really retro!) gearbox, where the Honda has little torque and needs every one of its 6 speeds to get up to speed. The Honda is a lot lighter, which is a big plus for me, and the Honda has in 10 model years of production proven to be virtually unbreakable and totally reliable.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.