Author Topic: Review of the Profi Products line laser chain adjusting tool  (Read 3093 times)

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 06:21:40 pm
I think you both misinterpreted my comment!!

"There are no downsides to good alignment."
I agree completely. I'm just not going to obsess about trying to find perfection.

"I wonder how long my chain and sprockets might have lasted running in the poor alignment condition I found with the laser".
As these swinging arm marks are almost universally inaccurate you could have found that by the other methods mentioned. If the chain was adjusted and checked properly I doubt you could have measured the difference in life span with or without the laser.

And I also said your tool is much more convenient, and in an earlier post that I was going to put one on my Christmas list. ;)

Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 06:23:20 pm
Here's something I have been wondering about. Often, in applications where two metal surfaces are in constant friction, one of the metals will be of a lesser quality, or softer material, as to be the sacrificial part, sparing the expense of replacing both parts.

Is this true of chains and sprockets and if so, which is supposed to be which?
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 06:28:31 pm
Here's something I have been wondering about. Often, in applications where two metal surfaces are in constant friction, one of the metals will be of a lesser quality, or softer material, as to be the sacrificial part, sparing the expense of replacing both parts.

Is this true of chains and sprockets and if so, which is supposed to be which?

I think the rear sprocket is sacrificial, they are often aluminium on high performance bikes. Or maybe that's to save unsprung weight.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 06:30:53 pm
I think you both misinterpreted my comment!!

"There are no downsides to good alignment."
I agree completely. I'm just not going to obsess about trying to find perfection.

"I wonder how long my chain and sprockets might have lasted running in the poor alignment condition I found with the laser".
As these swinging arm marks are almost universally inaccurate you could have found that by the other methods mentioned. If the chain was adjusted and checked properly I doubt you could have measured the difference in life span with or without the laser.

And I also said your tool is much more convenient, and in an earlier post that I was going to put one on my Christmas list. ;)

I don't think that I, or portisheadric, were intending to scoff at your previous post. Sorry that you seemed to perceive it that way. I just like things to be done right and in the case of adjusting this chain with the "tool" that RE gave us, that seemed rather impossible. I also don't have a length of angle iron lying about and the string method looks like a lot of fiddling to me and a waste of my time.

I figure if I can afford an expensive toy like a motorcycle, then I also can afford to buy some proper tools for its maintenance.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

volunteervoice

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 01:56:18 am
For those in the States, I ordered the magnetic line laser version last week directly from the manufacturer's website; the cost in USD was 74.42. Seems like a bargain, as I could swear that after seeing this thread at it's outset and checking the Profi site, the same item was over $100!

60muzz

• Bulleteer
  • Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 04:54:35 am
Took the Scottish way out, my father born there, in the blood, short fingers, deep pockets, cannot reach the coins.
1st pic as delivered from the dealer, 2nd pic adjusted by eye.
Made up a clamp bracket on the 3D printer that takes a 2mm rod inserted into it and aligns to the sprocket. Cost, pretty much nothing.
3rd pic with the bracket on, pretty close alignment to what I did by eye, not worth readjusting till next chain clean and lube.
Laser looks great but wonder why on the loose side of the chain, my chain seemed to have a few side wrinkles in it, would think it better to align
on the top where the tension will be? Great write up Dexter for those purchasing the Star Trek stuff.

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 05:32:20 am
Great idea @60muzz
Would be interested in the STL file
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Chrome Red
BMW F800GS

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 04:45:56 pm
After too many failed prints I gave away my 3D printer. That was a hobby I didn't need. While a laser will be more accurate, I don't need to spend that much. Motion Pro sells a clamp with pointer that does the same job. Sells on Amazon for around $15.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 24, 2023, 04:56:15 pm
but but but lasers are good for so much more than just checking chain alignment :)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Flashdan

• Flashdan
  • Scooter
Reply #24 on: April 02, 2023, 02:59:13 pm
In theory if you remove the cheap chromed plastic caps on the swing arm and measure from the centre of the 10mm screw to the centre of the axle both sides it should be equal providing the engine mounting plates are in line in which there is no reason to doubt, then check the adjusters to see if they are equal.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2023, 05:40:09 pm
For those that enjoy fiddling and farting around with measuring this and that by also laying angle irons, or 2X4's beside front and rear tires, attaching strings to wherever to get straight lines, unnecessarily removing parts in order to attach certain cheap tools to assist with the job, your time is yours to spend as you see fit and more power to you.

For those that desire to do the job quickly and most accurately and aren't reluctant to spend some $$ on a quality tool, then investing in a laser tool is simply a no brainer. My motto has always been KISS.

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #26 on: July 24, 2023, 11:16:11 am
   I’ve always aligned my wheels (tyres) & as others have already said I take no notice of the swing arm marks.
   Seeing this sprocket chain aligner got me wondering, obviously if wheels are aligned the chain must be....
   So, here’s my quick n dirty “poor mans” version. 10mm aluminium box section (available in most DIY places) offered up to the chain/sprocket so the indicator end can be cut to the correct depth then simply reversed & clamped if wanted. Clamp isn’t really necessary, but if you do it could do with being a bit bigger than in the pic. 52cm long but could be a bit shorter.

The alignment looks out in the image but isn't.....  The front indicator can't be seen, it's in the dark.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 11:21:55 am by Carl350 »

Isla

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2023, 01:09:15 pm
Have just a small cheap laser pen* for the same task to good effect too >>> https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=35359.0;all#lastPost
The real thing will undoubtedly be better but it did the job.

( * the sort for entertaining cats with )
Shunpike Sister riding a bronze/chrome Classic 350 called Biscuit

Father of Dragons

• Bulleteer
  • Cardiff, Wales
Reply #28 on: July 24, 2023, 03:01:52 pm
Seems to me that as far as the chain is concerned the things which need to be aligned are the front and rear sprockets.  Whether or not that means the front and rear wheels are aligned is moot  ::)