Author Topic: Cutting Out at 1000 miles  (Read 761 times)

Struggler

• Scooter
  • Pax Et Bonum
on: August 23, 2023, 05:47:34 pm
Turned 1000 miles on the odometer and my Interceptor is cutting out!

It’s almost a given after 7 miles it begins. I have only had 1 moment many miles back that my ignition failed to engage when I turned the key. I have cleaned the relay sockets (something that my dealer failed to do upon requesting prior to me taking delivery back in January) and I installed Bosch relays and inspected the female relay connectors shortly after my 300 mile service. It will spit and sputter upon acceleration after that 7th mile out like a fouled plug or fuel starvation but not die.

I think its quite silly that as many RE owners that have had this issue or still continue having, RE has not launched a bulletin update or a recall. I have been riding motorcycles for over 4o years, modified, customized and built from ground up but I have never owned a bike with these types of quirks. Between cutting out and death wobble you would think RE would want to resolve these issues pronto! I think these bikes are great little machines and they definitely take me back to my youth but this is just silly! Warranty or not, RE should not leave its owners high and dry when it comes to issues expecting us to take our machines in “if” and “when” it may happen! They are bound to be aware of the issues and God forbid anything happen to the guys that ends up with total loss of power especially on the highways!
  I do not think HD or any of the Jap or Italian manufactures would allow these types of issues to continue like RE has. My last bike prior to me taking a 13 year hiatus due to disability was a HD Nightster I bagged. It was the only HD I have owned or will ever own but if there was an issue it was resolved without hesitation. Same for all of the other bikes I have owned. How do we as RE owners supposed to continue with the brand or buy one for the wife, daughter or son knowing this could potentially put them in harms way much less promote the brand.

“Oh yea” it’s a great bike, you should get one, just be ready for the possibility of a death wobble or engine cutting out said no one to a potential buyer!

I find it in poor taste the we have to turn to one another to diagnose and track down issues because some of the dealers are to incompetent to address the issues or due to there lack of proper PDI one has lost faith and just does not want to deal with stupid!

Having all of you guys and gals are great but we should be talking about our trips or getting together for a meetup and road rides or what we plan on adding to our machines in ways of customization but not chasing gremlins. I guess this is not a perfect world nor will it ever be so I thank all of you guys for assisting and helping your fellow comrades.

So with all of that ramble I guess I need to make the dreaded call to my local dealer to get in and maybe they can resolve the issue correctly the first time. It’s just difficult when a person walks in a puts down cash for a bike only to find that it had had a proper PDI! One loose faith pretty quick in there dealership’s technicians when this happens.
Though I am in Dallas we do not have a RE dealer on every corner much like other states so I guess I will make that dreaded call.

Again, thank you to all on this forum for the comradery and fellowship to other RE owners. A true family and I am glad to be part of a great group of like minded good people with the willingness to help others!
“Christ died for our sins”…1 Corinthians 15:3

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 01:26:19 am
I don't have a solution, but I think you will get more valuable responses for issues with your 650 if you posted in the forum section dedicated to the 650 twins.

Posting in the section on Royal Enfield corporate news won't get many views and posting in the section for sidecars, even fewer.   Good Luck!