Author Topic: 350 Classic's touring ability  (Read 3435 times)

Olsonson

• Scooter
  • Gld, Netherlands
on: November 11, 2022, 08:17:59 am
Hello from The Netherlands.

I'm a new forum user and fancy to buy 350 Classic.
So far I did a fair share of reading and watching the reviews on YouTube. Last week I did a testrun with and without pillion and was absolutely hooked.
The 20bhp are sufficient for my driving style in the country and also for the weekly commuting to my work.

However, here the rational jumps in:
Between 2 and 4 times a year I will will travel to Luxemburg and France. Touring there will still be in style that perfectly fits the Enfield.
But, getting there involves a 180 - 280km highway (2,5h) trip to the dutch border. Here in The Netherlands we don't have proper secondary road network, so it's highway or double/triple the time I need to get to the "nice" roads.
With my current bike, Yamaha MT03, 660cc, I drive a comfortable 100km/h (60mph) have a bit of spare power for overtaking and in general be gentle to the engine.

My question is: Is the 350 classic capable of running 2-3h on ~100km/h which is near the maximum?

Any input is appreciated.
--
Royal Enfield 350 Classic Halcyon Green
Breaking-in phase …

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 08:33:44 am
Hi,
Haven’t finished my brake in yet and never go on higway but, what I think is that the 350 is electronically limited to 120km/h, not by his engine. That means that it is capable to hold the 120km/h for a long time without any damage.
So keeping 100 km/h with 20 km/h spare should not be a problem.

That said, I repeat, I never go on higway with bike as, going to nice roads by little roads is part of the trave.
They aren’t strangers, only friends you haven’t ever met.

Olsonson

• Scooter
  • Gld, Netherlands
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 08:43:37 am
Thanks Stephan,

success and lot's of fun with the breaking in. How is performance in the mountains?
Haven't any change to test it here in The Netherlands. In Luxemburg it will be a different cup of tea. Up to 18% is quite common. However I think the engine is torque enough to cope with it.

regards
--
Breaking-in phase …

duffy

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 09:33:40 am
Hallo dat is leuk een land genoot die ook van een plan is een royal enfield te kopen.
Ik zelf rij nu op een yamaha tricty 155cc voor woon werk werk verkeer . heb in het verleden de volgende motors gehad Ducati 750 ss ,harly  davidson sportster ,buell . Daarna zeker 10 jaar geen motor meer gehad nu combineer ik woon werk verkeer door te fietsen en met de motor.
En aangezien ik al 20 jaar naar Engeland op vakantie ga en een redelijke anglofiel ben ik uitgekomen bij royal enfield .Zo heel graag de meteor aanschaffen. Maar ben me eerst goed aan het orienteren op verschillende forums,en you tube reviews . En heb de volgende vragen en bedenkingen.1) hoe goed is het voorlicht heb gelezen dat dit geen goede weg verlichting geeft,2) de ketting die erop ligt verschilt van model tot model maar rekt schijnbaar vlug uit . En een dealer vinden ik woon in zeeuws vlaanderen (hulst) en in zeeland zit er geen dealer voor mij het dichtse is ammerzoden 140kilometer voor onderhoud hoop ik in belgie terecht te kunnen dealer zit op 30kilometer .laat even weten wat jou bevindingen zijn.

Gr Duffy

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 09:52:53 am
Hello and welcome,
You may like to read this post by Curious Wanderer.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=33719.msg420782#msg420782
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 10:33:18 am
95-100 kph (55-60 mph) is the sweet spot for the 350 J Platform engine.

Olsonson

• Scooter
  • Gld, Netherlands
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 11:55:33 am
@Duffy

Of course I have no experience with RE yet.
But regarding the chain, sometimes even factory chains are worn out quickly (had it with the MT, but that's a big nasty thumper). If it should happen to soon, try to claim warranty or go for good D.I.D. set (have mine now for 4 years and 18.000km).
As for the headlights, should the light not be sufficient go for a LED bulb. You could also add 2 side lamps a seen on many adventure bikes nowadays.
Somehow I expect that RE or others will come with an accessory LED headlamp (with E certificate) in some time.

regards, Claus
--
Breaking-in phase …

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 03:12:09 pm
Olsonson

The first thing is :
70 mph is the upper cruising  limit.   The factory gearing is even more than 80 mph.

I put the 16 tooth front sprocket on after break-in .   Also put on the DNA Air filter and air entry cone.
This week I went from middle TN. (USA) over to east TN. for a day ride (150 mile) just to enjoy the last day before a cold front sets in.   So , middle TN. is basically flat country with hills.   East TN. is long up and down main roads and low speed twistys on the back roads.
On the "Hill Country" part the Meteor will run 70 mph up and/or down with no problem.   
But
On the long up-hill grades the Meteor needs to drop into 4th to hold 60mph , but doesn't have to be full throttle .  Think of 18 wheel trucks doing 45mph going up-hill.   Remember that 4th gear will run up to and past 70mph on flat ground (16 tooth F sprocket).   Think of the RE-350 as being a 4 speed with an "Over-Drive".   So , yea - you have to come out of "Over-Drive " to go up serious inclines.  I drop into 4th at the bottom of those long-up-hill grades to keep from a mid way down shift.

I bought mine in June 2022 and am coming up on 6000 miles very soon , about 1000 miles a month.

I rode over to "The Tail of the Dragon" this summer (250 mile - one way) and spent a week ridding with a buddy on a Suzuki 650 S-40.  The RE 350 kept up just fine.   The only time I felt "Under-Powered" was on those long uphill main roads , and even then ... I knew that I was wide open in 4th gear but my buddy never knew it , all he knew was I was keeping up just fine and getting "WAY WAY better fuel eco. than he was !  ;)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 03:53:16 pm by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 05:47:17 pm
@Duffy

Of course I have no experience with RE yet.
But regarding the chain, sometimes even factory chains are worn out quickly (had it with the MT, but that's a big nasty thumper). If it should happen to soon, try to claim warranty or go for good D.I.D. set (have mine now for 4 years and 18.000km).
As for the headlights, should the light not be sufficient go for a LED bulb. You could also add 2 side lamps a seen on many adventure bikes nowadays.
Somehow I expect that RE or others will come with an accessory LED headlamp (with E certificate) in some time.

regards, Claus

I was unable to read Duffy's post, but two things come to mind from your response to him.

Regarding the chain wearing out, as he may have spoken about, this could relate to poor chain alignment, since Royal Enfield's swing arm markings leave a lot to be desired when it comes to knowing when you have the wheel properly aligned on both sides. I started a thread about chain adjustment that you may want to read.

As to you adding accessory lighting, unless they are LED and you also change the headlight to LED, there is precious little extra alternator output capacity for the 350 to power any extra electrical equipment. Others here have already changed the headlight to LED with simple "plug and play" ease. Search the threads for info on that.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 05:17:16 pm
Thanks Stephan,

success and lot's of fun with the breaking in. How is performance in the mountains?
Haven't any change to test it here in The Netherlands. In Luxemburg it will be a different cup of tea. Up to 18% is quite common. However I think the engine is torque enough to cope with it.

regards
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply but haven’t seen yours.
Still 900km left till the end of the brake in.
Haven’t ridden a lot in the mountain yet but the little I have done was very satisfying, torque is surprising for so a little engine.
Don’t worry about the light,I find it one of the best I ever had on a bike.
Go for it, you will not regret.

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 05:29:49 pm
Try to come once in Switzerland, would be nicer than France, trust me.

Olsonson

• Scooter
  • Gld, Netherlands
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 02:47:09 pm
Thank you all for the responses.
This was the last push that I needed.

Saturday I ordered a nice Halcyon Green 350 Classic.  :). I will keep you posted on the run-in experience.

@Stephan: Yes I know the Swiss is 'nicer', been there with the car numerous times. I will be indeed a nice project to plan a tour with the Enfield. But first I have to save up to compensate the price difference with France  ;)

regards and thanks again
--
Breaking-in phase …

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 06:26:41 pm
Thank you all for the responses.
This was the last push that I needed.

Saturday I ordered a nice Halcyon Green 350 Classic.  :). I will keep you posted on the run-in experience.

@Stephan: Yes I know the Swiss is 'nicer', been there with the car numerous times. I will be indeed a nice project to plan a tour with the Enfield. But first I have to save up to compensate the price difference with France  ;)

regards and thanks again

Yes Swizerland is most expensive. « By car » that doesn’t count, it’s biker’s paradise.
I’ll show you my nice secret roads.  ;)

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 11:44:03 am
Hello from The Netherlands.

I'm a new forum user and fancy to buy 350 Classic.
So far I did a fair share of reading and watching the reviews on YouTube. Last week I did a testrun with and without pillion and was absolutely hooked.
The 20bhp are sufficient for my driving style in the country and also for the weekly commuting to my work.

However, here the rational jumps in:
Between 2 and 4 times a year I will will travel to Luxemburg and France. Touring there will still be in style that perfectly fits the Enfield.
But, getting there involves a 180 - 280km highway (2,5h) trip to the dutch border. Here in The Netherlands we don't have proper secondary road network, so it's highway or double/triple the time I need to get to the "nice" roads.
With my current bike, Yamaha MT03, 660cc, I drive a comfortable 100km/h (60mph) have a bit of spare power for overtaking and in general be gentle to the engine.

My question is: Is the 350 classic capable of running 2-3h on ~100km/h which is near the maximum?

Any input is appreciated.

The 350 classic has been an excellent tourer for me. Absolutely fine unless you love spending your holidays whizzing up and down motorways.
Fully loaded with camping gear for two weeks and you would notice much difference from running solo. Very comfortable and plenty quick enough, while not being so quick you miss the lovely scenery.
I’m off to France for two weeks on mine next year, leading a group of mates.
5000 miles in 6 months shows it gets well used. 2150 miles (ish) on my John O’Groats to Lands End run over 10 days.
Still loving it.
Deepest dark South Devon, UK

Olsonson

• Scooter
  • Gld, Netherlands
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 11:58:32 am
I’m off to France for two weeks on mine next year, leading a group of mates.
5000 miles in 6 months shows it gets well used. 2150 miles (ish) on my John O’Groats to Lands End run over 10 days.

Thanks for reply. I read your post over John O’Groats to Lands End run and loved it.
Meanwhile I ordered my Classic and cannot wait until it's delivered. :)
Hope to run it in during winter and spring.
Next year I have also a tour to France planned with my buddies. Just touring Normandy during June and lead the guys to the historic places. That trip was postponed due to the pandemic, now I'm very happy to do it on the Enfield.

cheers, Claus
--
Breaking-in phase …

Electra Steve

• Scooter
  • Birdwood, South Australia
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 03:24:39 am
Here in Oz there is a long way between everywhere. I went five times around Australia on my 2007 Electra before I downsized to the Meteor. The Meteor is a very good tourer if you want to see the scenery and not just a blur. I am very happy. 100Kmh cruising with pillion no problem.
Previous rides. Many Hondas
BMW R60/2
Norton 99
NSU Supermax
2007 RE Electra
now 2021 Stellar

PiL

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 07:19:12 am
This year I did a few hundred kilometers on the german Autobahn to get somewhere quickly and the Classic was fine with 100/110km/h. You just stick to your lane without being overly ambitious  :D. The Classic is a fine touring machine but of course the fun begins when you leave the highway.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 04:27:20 am
From Duffy @  #3; Google Translate, Dutch to English:

Hello, that's nice a compatriot who also plans to buy a royal enfield.
I myself now ride a yamaha tricty 155cc for commuting to work. I have had the following motorcycles in the past Ducati 750 ss, harly davidson sportster, buell. After that I didn't have a motorcycle for at least 10 years now I combine commuting by cycling and with the motorcycle.
And since I've been going on holiday to England for 20 years and a reasonable Anglophile, I ended up at royal enfield. I would love to buy the meteor. But first I am well orientated on various forums, and you tube reviews. And have the following questions and concerns. 1) how good is the front light, have read that this does not provide good road lighting, 2) the chain that is on it differs from model to model but apparently stretches quickly. And find a dealer I live in Zeeland Flanders (holly) and in Zeeland there is no dealer for me the closest is ammerzoden 140 kilometers for maintenance I hope to be able to go to Belgium dealer is 30 kilometers away. Let me know what your findings are.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 06:57:17 am
Hello  Duffy

You don't need to go to a dealer for a chain , they are "easy" .

Mine has almost 6000 miles on it and I adjusted it once at about 4000 miles.   Even after 12,000 miles it will have life left in it but I'll replace it anyway as they are cheep enough and come cut to length.   I don't want the sprockets wearing and the rear tire should be wore-out by then.    We are to do maintaince every 6K-miles.

I have a Meteor Stellar Blue and am very happy with it !  ;)
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #19 on: November 20, 2022, 08:38:18 am
Hello Duffy,
For the front light, I find it better then my Yami Tricker and Triumph Scrambler. Just not so good than on my BMW. No problem.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2022, 05:56:14 am
Here in Oz there is a long way between everywhere. I went five times around Australia on my 2007 Electra before I downsized to the Meteor. The Meteor is a very good tourer if you want to see the scenery and not just a blur. I am very happy. 100Kmh cruising with pillion no problem.
Hi Steve. We met some time ago at a bike event at the motor museum. I'd just bought my continental gt so it must have been 2014. You told me how you'd done those big trips on the Electra, which helped reassure me that this could be a good bike. Fast  forward to now, I've done 60,000 mostly trouble free km including a couple of trips from Adelaide to the high country, Flinders, Halls Gap and beyond plus a few track days and lots of hooning around in the hills.

Love this bike. Hope the 350 is as good to you as the Electra was

Cheers, simon.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Electra Steve

• Scooter
  • Birdwood, South Australia
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 11:13:24 pm
Thanks Simon
I no longer work at the Museum, I went back to archaeology. I hear that my old Electra is still going strong with its new owner. The Meteor is looking good for touring and I have trips to Alice Springs and WA lined up.
As long as petrol doesn't get discontinued.
Previous rides. Many Hondas
BMW R60/2
Norton 99
NSU Supermax
2007 RE Electra
now 2021 Stellar

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 01:12:43 am
Thanks Simon
I no longer work at the Museum, I went back to archaeology. I hear that my old Electra is still going strong with its new owner. The Meteor is looking good for touring and I have trips to Alice Springs and WA lined up.
As long as petrol doesn't get discontinued.
Because archaeology is where the big bucks are, right? 😉. I've just read  a couple books by Irving Finkel. That'd be up your alley, right?

The fuel thing, I hear you. Just getting my v8 ski boat ready for summer. May as well burn some fuel while we can get it.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Olsonson

• Scooter
  • Gld, Netherlands
Reply #23 on: November 27, 2022, 04:01:05 pm
Thank you all your replies and additional input.

I'm now owner of a nice and shiny RE Classic in Halcyon Green and looking forward for my 2023 tours.
--
Breaking-in phase …

Frank_M

• Bulleteer
  • Nash County, NC USA/Ancestors-Somerset, England UK
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2022, 09:04:20 pm

I'm now owner of a nice and shiny RE Classic in Halcyon Green and looking forward for my 2023 tours.

Congratulations on your new bike! You have some good times ahead of you!
Motorcycles are like a pair of shoes, you can always use one more!
2022 Meteor 350 Stellar Black

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 11:04:35 pm
Yes Olsonson

What Frank said !  Congratulations , the RE-350 is Very easy to like !!   :)

Mine will gets it's 6k-mile check up before spring gets here in Southern TN , USA. 
The front tire just got replaced at 5,480 miles from a busted cord problem , and I was looking at the rear ... its almost to the wear bars .    ?    So , I'm thinking maybe the stock tires are not the best tires to have .    They worked all summer and I've had some good times on them .!  :)

Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 05:49:41 pm
Duro HF308 tires are a functional, frugal alternative for the rear. The current iteration of the venerable K70 is grippy but wears rapidly on the rear, works well on the front, costs about 40% more than the Duro. These are both tube-type tires.

Shinko tires are another reasonable brand to look at for tubeless tire selection. Decent grip & wear, non-sticker shock inducing price. <<https://www.denniskirk.com/ >> has worked well for me.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 06:47:50 pm
I like the 308 looks , but I'm stuck with a 17 inch rim ... 308 only come in 19"

I'm leaning toward the BT46 in 130/80 or the 120/90 .   The looks of the wide tire are nice , but we all know "Skinny" means less weight , less weight means less wasted HP. and better speed and millage.    The 130 is the compromise ???   
I've got another 1000 miles on the old one , but by spring them "wear-bars" will be hard to find !   ;D

The factory front tire had a busted cord and the wobble that came with it.   I've got a BT46 (100/90-19) up there now and am amazed at how "SMOOTH" it is.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 06:50:44 pm by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 10:47:08 pm
Summit Racing has them, 3.50 x 17, $55.99. If you are up for tubes, they might be the ticket. Load rating is (I believe) 500 pounds.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DOT-2530817350TT?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1ZGcBhCoARIsAGQ0kkqk6Cu-nIfAGf6RY51GAXowliXQOejPyYe20OFGVDgwQjgS5mXOJYYaArRSEALw_wcB

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #29 on: November 29, 2022, 01:33:48 am

Best looking bike and colorway Royal Enfield offers IMO. Congratulations!

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2022, 02:47:25 am
Somebody gonna have heads turning! 8)
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350