Author Topic: 1991 Bullet disc brake.  (Read 1153 times)

Lone Wolf

• Scooter
on: November 06, 2022, 12:54:18 am
Wotcha.

When I ordered my Bullet new back in 1991, I opted for the disc brake.  Well after quite a few thousand miles I'm in need of a new disc . . . .  now the fun starts.  It seems Enfield only made enough brake discs to cover the amount of machines they sold.  Royal Enfield do not stock ANY spare parts for the disc / wheel / for that model.

Looking at it, a Moto Guzzi V50 / V35 disc seems very similar.

I'm just wondering if anyone has, or knows, what disc will fit this wheel.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 04:09:43 am
Weld it up with a suitable rod (7018?) and have it ground/turned flat again?

Metalspray & regrind?

Maybe heat-cycle it thru the oven 2-3 times before turning/grinding?

EBC makes a LOT of brake bits, I'd contact them too on the chance that the 1991 disc was an existing component for someone else.

https://ebcbrakes.com/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 08:20:15 am
I would have thought that disc brakes were generic parts? There will very likely be someone such as EBC who supplies a disc of correct diameter, mounting hole spacing and offset. Try asking H's?
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 08:51:09 am
Years ago, I bought a disc brake wheel with calliper, bracket and master-cylinder/throttle unit on ebay which was sold as for a royal enfield.

It fitted too. However it had an air of lash-up/homemadeness about it in that the wheel spindle had clearly been hand-turned by someone who'd cocked up some of the measurements and the bracket was clearly an add-on. I didn't use it in the end because I couldn't work out what the hell it was off and so wouldn't be able to get discs and pads for it. I did a lot of looking at the time and reckoned it looked closest to a moto-guzzi disc and the calliper looked like it was off a K-series BMW but I wasn't sure enough to go ahead and make this my front-end.

Now wondering if perhaps you've answered the mystery? Or perhaps my initial assessment was correct and it's a home-spun affair.

Incidentally, I still have the whole kit and caboodle, although I'd be reluctant to punt on the disc by itself because it would mean I had a useless wheel, calliper and master cylinder.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 10:41:44 am
Looks like $400 - $500 to come into the 21st century, or $200 to go back to the perfectly serviceable TLS front brake. Or limp along and eventually (maybe) piece together what you got, which if SW is right was cobbled together in a garage 30 years ago by a clever guy in India. I can testify that the TLS with the "good" shoes works OK for the velocities normally generated by these machines. But IF I was regularly riding in traffic, I'd likely spend the extra and get the "New, Improved for 2008" set up. Brakes are not a feature you want a dark storm cloud of doubt hovering about. Spend the money and make it right, TLS or disc. Or maybe after 30 years it's time to "sell on" 'ol Betsy...let the "next guy" worry about it. Those new 350 Hunters are looking gooood... Peddle that kick-start, running Pre-Unit for $3500 - $4500, get a shiny new counterbalanced Hunter for maybe $1K - $2K more out the door...just another option.   8)

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/11612?cont_page=accessory-shop/Brakes&page=2
PART No. 92540; DISC BRAKE CONVERSION, BASIC (OPTION 1); £325.00

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/11632?cont_page=accessory-shop/Brakes&page=2
PART No. 92550; DISC BRAKE CONVERSION, INC BUILT WHEEL (OPTION 2); £413.00

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/47967?cont_page=Wheels
PART No. USED7152 ; 19 " T/L/S FRONT WHEEL, BRAKE AND SPINDLE, CONDITION 7/10; £100.00

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/38097?cont_page=Brakes
PART No. 145585B; F/BRAKE SHOE (7''), TWIN LEADING, **OUTRIGHT**, (PAIR) With locating ridge for pivot pin; £60.00
These 7" shoes are used on twin leading shoe front brake systems. See ''Fitting Guide'' for details.
Some bikes have shoes without a locating ridge where they fit on the pivot pin. These shoes HAVE the locating ridge. See the associated alternative picture to help identify which type you require. If you need the type without the ridge, please order part number 144275B (see ''Related Items'' below).
These improved brake shoes have new asbestos free linings, bonded onto them here in the UK. They bed in quickly to give a much improved braking performance in wet or dry conditions, eliminating the glazing and spongy feel of the standard linings. We are constantly testing new improved linings to optimise the braking system as much as possible.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 10:59:20 am
Another couple of options.

Front end (forks, wheel, calliper) from an EFI bullet B5 up to 2014 + C5 up to 2011 will fit into an iron barrel with threaded casquette. Is setup for mudguard stays and can be fitted with fork shrouds. This is what I have on my 612 so keep your eyes peeled on ebay.

I believe All Bike Engineering will make custom discs if you ask them (or may be able to track down what yours is off). Or maybe they could make you a custom carrier you could bolt a more standard rotor to. https://www.allbikeengineering.co.uk

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 04:18:14 pm
A hearty +1 to Stinkwheels suggestion - haunt Ebay & be patient - move into current, readily repairable tech. Usually 30-45 days out for "free shipping" items in my experience. Maybe only $200 - $300 that way and the parts have already functionally worked together. "Ya pays ya monies & ya takes ya chances..."

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 06:36:05 pm
RE brought out an accessory disk brake front end in the early 1990s, from what Lone Wolf has posted elsewhere this was genuine Enfield India kit. My 350 Redditch Bullet had somehow acquired a set of the forks which went with this disc front brake (with an awful drum brake conversion).

The forks are different from the items which started appearing with the Electra-X on factory bikes, so it would not surprise me if the disks themselves were different.

If you have a part number our friends in India MIGHT have a NOS one sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere in Karol Bagh. Otherwise, if your hunt for a compatible disk off another model doesn't turn up anything suitable, a good used Electra-X front end might be your best bet. I have a spare set of Electra-X forks but sold my spare front wheel not long back.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Lone Wolf

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 04:22:41 pm
Wotcha.

Thanks for the info folks.

My current disc is still serviceable ( it's just passed its MOT anyway )  - it's taken me over 30 years to wear this much . . . and that's using sintered pads.   I may poke my nose in over at Hitchcocks, it's only 25 mile down the road.

I've ordered the disc carrier as used on the newer Bullets.  I reckon with a bit of boring out and new fixing holes, I can get a new disc to fit.  The new discs are just a flat disc with no offset. . . . so I may have to either space it out or machine a bit off the carrier . . .  We'll see.   All part of the fun of Bullet ownership.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 12:11:44 pm
... and an early adopter!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...