Author Topic: Center Stand  (Read 1012 times)

RoyalMatch

• Scooter
on: October 12, 2022, 02:55:20 pm
Hello:

I have acquired a couple of alloy center stands for my RE projects (1958 Woodsman and 1967 Interceptor).  However, the stands are different lengths.  One stand is about 1" longer.  Can anyone provide insight into which stand is correct and why the different lengths?  Otherwise, they are identical.

Thanks!

Rick

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 09:51:28 pm
Hard to measure while in use, but my Mk1 Interceptor is roughly 11" from pivot to ground.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 09:54:46 pm
If the Woodsman has a 21" front wheel, and the Interceptor has a 19" front wheel, the Woodsman will need a longer centre stand to keep one end off the ground.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

RoyalMatch

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 10:06:20 pm
Thanks for the replies.

The 11" is the longer one.  The other measures just short of 10".

Someone told me that the shorter one might be for the constellation which had an 18" tire.

Rick

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 11:26:11 pm
Interesting - I need a centre stand for my Trailblazer (19"front wheel - 18" rear) and I was just going to order an Indian one off eBay but i better make sure I get the right one. I thought they would all be the same.

Thanks
Regards
Tony
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 09:56:13 am
Apparently not. A friend on another forum bought an Electra-X stand for his 1960 350 Redditch Bullet, but it was too long for the bike which only has 17" wheels. The Electra-X has 19" wheels but it also has longer rear shocks. It's now on my own 350 Redditch Bullet which has 18" and 21" wheels in street scrambler trim. The stand is just right! Said friend managed to find a shorter one (model unknown) which is a better size for his bike.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Rasp

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 03:45:48 pm
I bought a steel Indian Bullet center stand to replace my worn out alluminium stand on my Constellation (which I'd always was a difficult stand to use). I had to shorten it and alter the 'leaver' to make it fit and be easy to use on the Constellation.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 05:29:55 pm
The Interceptor had an 18" rear wheel, but a fatter tyre. So it's basicly the same hight as others with a 19" rear wheel.

I suppose the smaller one might be off a Meteor Minor, or a 250 model with 17" wheels.
Andreas

Lorenzo

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 10:36:24 pm
A friend on another forum bought an Electra-X stand for his 1960 350 Redditch Bullet, but it was too long for the bike which only has 17" wheels. The Electra-X has 19" wheels but it also has longer rear shocks. It's now on my own 350 Redditch Bullet which has 18" and 21" wheels in street scrambler trim. The stand is just right! Said friend managed to find a shorter one (model unknown) which is a better size for his bike..
I also have a 1960 350 Bullet with 17" wheels, and an alloy stand which is so difficult to use (unusable, in fact). I also bought an Indian steel stand (801580) which of course is way too long........
I'd be very interested to learn the dimensions of the stand your friend used.
Lorenzo.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 03:30:15 pm
I checked back on the other forum, but he simply says it's a used Bullet stand from Hitchcocks' stash of used spares. He did however post a comparison picture, which speaks volumes.

A.

Rasp

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 12:43:23 am
When I bought the Indian Bullet stand to use on my Constellation. I fitted it to the bike, struggled to get the bike on the stand. The back wheel was about 3 inches off the floor. I trapped a piece of string under the front tyre, pulled it taught past the stand to just less than an inch below the rear tyre. Then I could mark the stand, where it was passed by the string, so that I could work out how much I needed to cut off the stand. Remembering that the 'feet' would need replacing.

Lorenzo

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 11:13:33 pm
Adrian II - Thanks for the pic. The stand on the right looks very similar, possibly identical,  to the one that I have. (I've made repeated attempts to post a pic. showing both my stands, but have failed).
Rasp - thanks very much for your input - a useful guide....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:21:12 pm by Lorenzo »