Author Topic: just hit 5000 miles  (Read 2053 times)

Rad Rich

• Scooter
on: September 30, 2022, 07:22:09 pm
Hello,
I have a 2017 classic 500 chrome.  I love it!!! I was doing a little chain lubricating when I noticed the rear sprocket looked weird.  Upon a little further inspection.... 2 teeth on the sprocket are kind of gone.  They are not together, have about three teeth in between the missing ones.  I'm not sure if i want to remove the rear wheel and put a new one on.  I called a Royal Dealer in Chicago. (about 45 minutes away from me) they said that there was a 6,000 mile service that I should do while it's there.  The guy said they would do a valve adjustment at that time.  I didn't think the 500 needed a valve adjustment?  Thought that was the 650's.  Am I wrong? or is the guy at the dealer wrong?
How hard of a job is replacing the rear sprocket, and should I also replace the front?  Also, can I still ride it?  Winter is almost here, but I think I still have some riding time yet.  Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 07:36:56 pm
Change both sprockets and chain gives the best long term results.
A new sprocket with and old chain is not a good practice.
And you are correct,  there is no valve adjustment on the 500 uce efi motor as they are hydraulic.
Off route, recalculate?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 11:08:28 pm
The guy at the service centre is probably focussed on 650's so that where his mind was at when he mentioned valve adjustment? He gets a pass on that one.

The missing teeth: If it were mine, I'd keep an eye on it and keep using, seeing the season is almost over. When It's put away for winter, then do the chain and sprockets. If it's anything like my one, the front sprocket, which you can't see easily (or get to, for that matter) will also be totally rooted. May as well do them all at once as @Haggis suggested. You need to remove the RHS engine cover to get at the front sprocket, so also order in the flywheel cover gasket, maybe the oil pump o ring that falls out, and a new plastic oil pump gear if you're feeling paranoid.

IMO, FWIW, YMMV etc
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 12:24:37 pm
Hello,
I have a 2017 classic 500 chrome.  I love it!!! I was doing a little chain lubricating when I noticed the rear sprocket looked weird.  Upon a little further inspection.... 2 teeth on the sprocket are kind of gone.  They are not together, have about three teeth in between the missing ones.  I'm not sure if i want to remove the rear wheel and put a new one on.  I called a Royal Dealer in Chicago. (about 45 minutes away from me) they said that there was a 6,000 mile service that I should do while it's there.  The guy said they would do a valve adjustment at that time.  I didn't think the 500 needed a valve adjustment?  Thought that was the 650's.  Am I wrong? or is the guy at the dealer wrong?
How hard of a job is replacing the rear sprocket, and should I also replace the front?  Also, can I still ride it?  Winter is almost here, but I think I still have some riding time yet.  Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Also along with what Gizzo and Haggis say, I would wonder what Caused the problem. Chain snatch? Lugging?

And why can't the factory just put decent chains on their bikes from the very beginning? The crap chain problem is YEARS old & pretty tiresome.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 04:59:34 pm
Hello,
I have a 2017 classic 500 chrome.  I love it!!! I was doing a little chain lubricating when I noticed the rear sprocket looked weird.  Upon a little further inspection.... 2 teeth on the sprocket are kind of gone.  They are not together, have about three teeth in between the missing ones. 
5000 miles doesn't seem like enough to wear out a sprocket.  I'd suspect inclusion defects in the casting.  Can you post pictures?

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 01:08:04 pm
5000 miles doesn't seem like enough to wear out a sprocket.  I'd suspect inclusion defects in the casting.  Can you post pictures?

Plus 1

I have 9,000 miles on my 2010 Bullet Deluxe. I replaced the chain at 6,500 miles so I’m thinking at 12-13,000 miles for both sprockets and a chain replacement.

If there are missing teeth on your rear sprocket, I would bet the front sprocket and chain are probably badly worn out also.  I would park it until you replace both sprockets and chain. Better to do that than risk having your chain snap on you while riding at speed.🥴 I hear that gets really exciting and I’ve heard of it locking up the rear wheel in the process.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:17:23 pm by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 01:44:07 pm
I have 10K miles on my 2011 Bullet and the original chain and sprockets still look like new. I have only had to adjust the chain twice, one tooth on the snail each time.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Rad Rich

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 04:53:25 pm
thanks for all the answers.  i will try and put up a picture.  I'm wondering how hard this replacement is to do at home.  I'm ok with the tools, but I will admit taking off the rear wheel scares me a little bit.  I wonder if my rear sprocket is a bolt on or the one that comes off while removing part of the rear brake drum.  I have a Haynes manual, I need to find it.  Haven't seen it in over a year and my wife likes to "put things away" garbage.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 06:28:57 pm
You'll just love doing the front sprocket then.?
Right side engine case needs to come off.
New gasket required and a new oil pump outlet O ring.
A 46mm socket to get the sprocket nut off.
See the fun you'll have..👍🔧🔧🔧
Off route, recalculate?

Roadie

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 02:18:24 am
2 teeth missing means a faulty sprocket. Probably the hardening process gone wrong and the sprocket become brittle. If the rest of tbe teeth look unworn then teeth missing isn't going to wear out a chain. Pull the chain outwards at the back of the rear sprocket (9 oclock position on a 500) as long as you can't see a big gap between the chain and teeth then the chain isn't worn out so the front sprocket also shouldn't be worn out. At 5k if it hasn't been through a lot of rain or dirt riding they shouldn't be worn unless they were bad quality to start with. I'd say keep using it but keeping your eye on that sprocket incase more teeth fall off. If the chain isn't worn you may get away with just replacing the rear sprocket knowing that next time all will need replacing a little sooner than if all was new now.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 10:38:59 am
I can't believe people are suggesting to keep using a sprocket that has two teeth missing.  ???

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 10:53:27 am
I can't believe people are suggesting to keep using a sprocket that has two teeth missing.  ???
Why? Short term, until riding season finishes, what's the harm? There's still plenty of teeth left. For sure, replacing both sprockets and the chain is the right thing to do, long term.

Do you have a bad personal experience doing that, or are you repeating something you "heard"?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 11:14:56 am
The harm? Really?

Plus, on the risk/cost balance, just fix it or get it fixed.

I don't need to rely on things I've heard on the Internet, thanks.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 11:22:40 am
The harm? Really?

Plus, on the risk/cost balance, just fix it or get it fixed.

I don't need to rely on things I've heard on the Internet, thanks.
Really, please, tell me. I'd like to know. Because maybe I've been doing it wrong for years....
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 11:38:38 am
I've had my say,  you've had yours. The OP can make his own mind up.