Author Topic: 350 Bullet Alternator connections  (Read 841 times)

ajb235

• Scooter
on: August 16, 2022, 11:20:55 am
I have a 1979 Indian home market 350 Bullet. It has AC lighting.
The alternator has 3+wire, red, green and white. The wiring loom has 3 wires for the alternator, green white, green red and green black.
Which wires on the loom connect to the wires from the alternator?

ajb235

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 02:30:55 pm
Alternator wiring colours

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:45:23 pm
This post needs to be moved to the Pre-Unit Bullet section.

AC lighting happened in the USA around and after 1999. The US spec AC lighting machines all used a 4-wire alternator.
The previous all DC machines had a 3-wire alternator.

The 6 stator coils in the 4-wire system are wired as two seperate groups. Of the two pairs exiting the case, your VOM will help you find the two separate pairs.

Your DC 3-wire stator has the stator coils wired in two parallel groups of 3 seriesed coils. The white wire on ours is the common "leg". One coil string has a violet wire, the other has a green wire. These two parallel in a connector immediately outside the cases, so only two wires go to the reg.rec. The VOM on resistance will tell the tail. The two wires with the highest resistance are the coil "ends". The 3rd wire will be the common, so resistance reads from it to each "end" added up will be the same as that taken between the ends. If the separate end resistances are the same, then the coil connections are the same.

AC lighting uses a seperate A/C voltage regulator. You are sure you have this piece on the bike?

The 3 wire could supply both the DC system reg/rec and an AC lighting system, but the common leg would need to split in a connector outside the cases. One pair would go to an AC regulator, the other to the reg/rec. If one coil leg resistance is double the other, the higher resistance has more coils in series and likely higher voltage. That's probably the "lighting leg" for the 35W to 55W headlamp AC circuit - ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE AC REGULATOR. If you don't have the AC regulator, then your machine is all DC.

Hitchcock's has downloadable manuals:  <<  https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/core/media/media.nl?id=238184&c=1062795&h=61af3f2a58ae73a8a781&_xt=.pdf  >>

There are also a lot of Royal Enfield wiring diagrams floating around the internet. I'd advise finding one that matches your wiring, AFTER downloading the H's manual.

Good Hunting - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 12:44:15 pm
Is this a 6 volt or 12V system?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...