Author Topic: 1959 Indian Trailblazer  (Read 18586 times)

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 26, 2022, 01:13:53 pm
Don't fear going into the gearbox. They really aren't that difficult. The only thing I would avoid is taking out that pin that Michael struggled with. The first time or two putting it together with the shift fork will be a little taxing but once you develop the 'technique' it all slams together quickly.  :)
I say this as someone who never had any motorcycle gearbox apart before tackling an Albion.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 03:09:44 pm
It's probably the most archaric piece of engineering on this motorcycle and therefore very robust and easy to handle. No need for shims and adjusters and those fancy modern gadgets ;D

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: June 27, 2022, 07:04:57 am
Never fear, I've had the gearbox of my Bullet and J2 to pieces and had to reassesmble them a few times before I got them right. I have a friend here, Norm, who can do these boxes with is eyes shut and he was laughting when I was doing them (under his supervision) but I got them done and they work very well (albiet they do drop and oil drip once in blue moon).

Thanks for the support. I'll keep you up to date.

I'm just trying to get the swingarm bearings sorted. Because it's a 1960 Chief frame, the swing arm is the longer US spec and same as the 64 Interceptor (USA Spec) so have written to Hitchcocks to try figure out which bearing set to use. What's in it now is wrong. Wobbles all over the place.
Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #33 on: June 27, 2022, 01:28:04 pm
I have a friend here, Norm, who can do these boxes with is eyes shut and he was laughting when I was doing them (under his supervision)

Is that Norm who had the really bad Electra-X? If so, tell him Adrian from the UK says Hello.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: June 27, 2022, 03:31:17 pm
This should have the bronze bearings and axle. Maybe these are just worn to a point, when all comes lose?

The "AM" gearbox basicly is built the same as the "H" type of the Bullets and most other late pre-unit models. Only the measurements differ and are not interchangeable, with exception of a few parts.
Best wishes,
Andreas

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: June 27, 2022, 09:41:51 pm
Is that Norm who had the really bad Electra-X? If so, tell him Adrian from the UK says Hello.

Hey Adrian, Yes, I believe so. I'll be speaking to him soon so will say g'day.
REgards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: June 27, 2022, 09:45:15 pm
This should have the bronze bearings and axle. Maybe these are just worn to a point, when all comes lose?

Hitchcocks replied with the appropriate part numbers (I hope). They said to forget the Interceptor theory and just call it a Chief so they know what I'm on about. I'll just replace all the bearing and bushes so I know it's good.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: August 31, 2022, 11:56:09 am
G'day All, I'm back on the job. Got distracted with music stuff but that has eased off for the time being.

I've ordered the swingarm bearing tube and bushes from H's. I was wondering how to get the old bushes out of the tube. Anybody here gone through that process?

Regards
Tony
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #38 on: August 31, 2022, 01:01:26 pm
Seems to be a case of RTFM not actually helping you! I just had a look at the on-line PDF versions of the Trialblazer AND Super Meteor manuals and they don't mention it. They must have considered this a dealer-only job.

My guess is some sort of screw extractor with a long bit of studding/allthread, possibly using the new bushes to push the old ones out (check for any fixing screws) followed by line-reaming the new bushes to fit. I'll gladly submit to expert opinion as I might have to do this for the 350 at some stage.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 31, 2022, 05:40:53 pm
With the hollow shaft removed, you can simply push them out from the other side, using a iece of rod and a Hammer. Maybe some heat will help. If you have a hydraulic press and know how to use it, it's even easier.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: August 31, 2022, 11:51:46 pm
Thanks for the replies. I've tried a gentle tap from the opposite sides but don't wanna give it heaps unless I damage something. I'll take it up to Norms if he's available as he has a press and knows what he's doing.  I think applying heat will also help.

I'll let you know how I go. At the same time, I'm taking the rear wheel hub to get the bearings pressed out. It looks tricky.

Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: September 02, 2022, 11:25:54 am
All good.  :)

We pressed the swingarm bushes out. Very handy device is the press. Norm also showed me how to get the bearings out of the rear wheel hub. That's a tricky job and I wouldn't have worked it out without help. I'll replace the bearings.

All good now so waiting for my H's shipment and in the meantime, cleaning and polishing...

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Mark M

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: September 07, 2022, 02:30:42 pm
The bearing retainer needs a special peg spanner, basically a flat bar with a hole to go over the spindle and two studs to engage the holes in the retainer. I threaded a bar, screwed two bolts in and filed the ends of the bolts to a smooth profile to fit the holes. I tried welding some studs in first but my welding wasn't up to the job! It's a normal right hand thread by the way.
REgards, Mark

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: September 10, 2022, 09:15:29 am
Thanks Mark, I picked up a peg spanner or pin wrench, whatever you want to call it from the tool shop. It's a angle grinder tool used to loosen the grinder retainer. Actually, you can see it in the picture above - it's got a blue handle. Made the job simple.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: September 10, 2022, 09:20:00 am
BTW Adrian, I said g'day to Norm for you and he says g'day right back. Remembers all the conversations and swapping of parts in the past. Norm has helped me a lot with my Royal Enfields and I'm lucky he is generous with his knowledge.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!