Author Topic: Police fine 3000 RE owners  (Read 7744 times)

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 09, 2021, 10:32:08 am
To say that a motorist hears a motorcycle with a noisy exhaust coming behind him and that this avoids accidents is a myth created by HD owners. (No study proves that). The only time a motorist actually hears a loud motorcycle exhaust is after passing the automobile.

So your loud muffler that already pushes the sound backwards pushes it even harder when the motorcycle is in motion ....!

And there is no study that proves the contrary. So we are back to have to think for ourselves. And even a baby knows, that loud sound catches attention.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 09, 2021, 11:04:09 am

Current US noise standards are also in the 80s, specifically, 84 dB when measured at 50 feet in the USA.  This translates to about 115 dB in the saddle, which is a level that can do hearing damage in a matter of minutes, and considerably more at the tailpipe.

The sound of the wind in the helmet is still louder. So even if you drive an electric bike, you are prone to deafness (after your theory)? Now what? Forbid helmets? Or wind? Driving bikes at all?
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #32 on: December 09, 2021, 02:04:28 pm
These are your friend...Deci Damp 2 Disposable Ear Plugs, $0.65
Nobody has "tough ears"...
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 03:54:03 pm
So no need for silent exhaust anymore.
www.enfieldtech.de

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 07:21:24 pm
My cheap full-face has a lot of wind noise, even at 45-55 MPH. The mighty ES350 even with a Hitchcock's Gold Star "straight pipe" isn't too offensive, ear plugs work passably well. An upgraded helmet might be a better solution. Intake drone seems to be about as loud as the pipe.

The only drawback to loud pipes is instigating competition from other testosterone-infused warriors. We had an Arizona Gold Wing rider that carried a chromed service 45 ACP holstered on the steering stem for when the local prats wanted to "play", apparently attracted by the mere presence of a 2-wheeled but whisper quiet road burner. More than one had a sudden "come to Jesus" epiphany when our boy reached up and patted the piece the local Yobbos has overlooked. Deliberately attracting attention is a two edged sword, best to actually have a sword if that's your game.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #35 on: December 09, 2021, 08:12:01 pm
The sound of the wind in the helmet is still louder. So even if you drive an electric bike, you are prone to deafness (after your theory)? Now what? Forbid helmets? Or wind? Driving bikes at all?
No.  You are missing every point.

Perceived noise, at the rider / driver's ear, is a combination of engine, tire and air stream noise.  Air stream noise is not transmitted to listeners in the environment, because it's a skin effect, but is only perceived by the driver / rider.

Helmets, like any barrier, will attenuate sound levels at the position of the ear.  Helmets create their own skin effect air stream noise.

The point I was making is that the USA mandated max noise level, of 84dB at 50 feet, if it was coming solely from exhaust noise, would translate to the much higher level of 115 dB at 4 feet from the exhaust outlet, where the rider's ear is.

Noise levels from road noise at highway speeds will be well below this, probably less than 105db.  Noise levels in the cabin of a car at highway speeds have been measured at around 70 -80dB.  Here's a bunch of measurements of different cars:  https://alexonautos.com/cabin-noise/    A typical car reduces noise levels with the windows closed by about 6 dB vs with the windows open. 

there is no study that proves the contrary. So we are back to have to think for ourselves. And even a baby knows, that loud sound catches attention.
The study from Association for the Development of Motorcycling in Romania, in conjunction with the Department of Road Vehicles at the Polytechnic University of Bucharest does specifically conclude that motorists in enclosed cars will not hear a motorcycle overtaking from behind, until the motorcycle is within 10 meters.  Only preliminary results of this study have been published to date.

Noise abatement laws are seeking to protect others from an individual vehicles excessive noise, not to protect the rider / driver from his own foolishness.  I think that besides subjecting a rider to legal prosecution, and possibly assault from other, very annoyed, motorists, constant loud noise has been shown to dull the senses, have negative health effects, and it renders the rider effectively deaf while underway.

I don't expect to convince you.  As you say, even a baby knows what it knows.  I am certainly willing to agree that "Loud Pipes scare small children" 

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 09, 2021, 11:12:20 pm
I can assure you, that every car driver will hear me, if I want to . Even the romanian ones.

And scaring small children is not the worst scenario, so that they dont decide to jump on the road in front of your bike. Live saved by loud pipes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 11:16:16 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #37 on: December 25, 2021, 01:03:07 pm
And there is no study that proves the contrary. So we are back to have to think for ourselves. And even a baby knows, that loud sound catches attention.

+1
I also have three Harleys and two Guzzis with loud pipes.
When l’m lane splitting in California the cars move over easily 16 to 20 inches on ether side two to three cars ahead of you, when in very slow traffic, that is if they can hear you coming!

REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 25, 2021, 02:12:48 pm
My observation is that many motorists are spending more time looking in their rear view mirrors while driving in heavy stop-and-go traffic than they used to do and will move over when they see a motorcycle rider behind them in the adjacent lane. And it is my opinion that they do so not because of loud noise, but because they are worried about damage to their expensive rear view mirrors and don't want them to be knocked off or damaged by the motorcyclist's mirror hitting them. I say this because I do encounter cars moving over for me when I am riding my quiet Zero electric motorcycle.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #39 on: December 26, 2021, 07:30:05 am
LOL! I’ve done lane splitting with a quiet 1800 Goldwing and I can tell you loud pipes do make a difference. Believe it or not, I’ve been there done that. Also I’ve riding for over five decades and one thing I’ve learned, everyone has a opinion. Right or wrong. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 07:51:39 am by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 26, 2021, 12:57:18 pm
They certainly make a difference to pedestrians all these electric bikes and cars are deadly silent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: December 26, 2021, 04:28:42 pm
Well, in the words of a long time contributor elsewhere -
" Well you see no one pays any attention until it effects them certainly will over the next ten years, .... the problem is our genetically defective police won’t let progress take it course, they have none sensible laws and want to corporate exploit everyone ....  "
Weeding out the inattentive and biologically defective seems to be the intent here, so you can hardly fault silent EV's (or well designed 2-wheeled Japanese infernal combustion flat 6 motorcycles either ;D) for furthering "progress", right? That statement clearly espouses "laissez-faire survivalism", so logically ultra quiet, powerful machinery fits right into that scheme. Just remember to look twice before stepping off the curb, eh?  :o

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: January 02, 2022, 01:57:22 pm
Well it always makes me laugh when you see police lecturing riders on the road side about how they have to pay to keep their private vehicles on the road, what they should say is we have to spend some of our nicked money we stole from mugs like you.